Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2010, 03:38 AM   #1 
LoveSGSE

Why do you keep betta?

So my question is, why do you keep bettas? And what attracted you to this wonderful species of fish? What do you keep them as? For me, I keep bettas cause I was pretty bored most of the time at home and had no company, so I decided to get a few fish to occupy my time. And my friend also introduced me this " betta splendens ". I went to his house and checked his bettas out. And they were simply stunning. I keep them mostly for breeding, as I find its very interesting. But dont worry, I've researched quite alot, just that i need experience. Share your story!
LoveSGSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:38 AM   #2 
Bettas are Betta

Well at first I though "Hmm it'd be cool to get a fish" and that was when i was a little depressed and felt like i was useless junk. I brought brought home my little guy and ploped him into his new home. After that i just didnt feel as alone! My little miracles!
Bettas are Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:25 AM   #3 
Jayy

I got my first betta along time when my apartment didn't have enough room for my 35 gallon and it was my b-day soo I wanted something cool.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #4 
Chicklet

My desire to keep Betta's came from my Daughter wanting one for Christmas,
Every one said they was easy to keep and you needed do nothing special for them, Since I never had one of them type before I figured she'd be able to at least keep it alive.
So I bought this tiny "Bette set" plastic container, fake plant etc for $10.00 Day after christmas I took her in to pick out the one she wanted,
got a pretty blue guy, She put him in her room, every morning I checked on him and his temp, only had him a few days and this one morning he was barely moving, Checked his water and it was freezing cold! So I scooped him and his little bowl up and brought it to the kitchen where it's always a constant 80 degrees, I kept taking out a little water and diluting it with warmer until I got his temp up there and he started acting better, Well everytime I moved or did anything his eyes never stopped staring at me if I went around the table he moved around with me never loosing sight,, Just sitting in the middle of that tiny bowl, no room spread out and swim, Only took me about two days of looking at that, I threw my hands up one day, stopped what I was cooking, Grabbed my keys and went back to town to buy another bigger tank for him :2 1/2 gallon, cost me $60.00 but it was worth it, Nothing deserves to live like that, and was he ever happy, Got a nice filter and heater to keep him warm. I guess after having him stare me down with those pleading eyes I was hooked,

I've sure learned alot about betta's since then,
Now I have hundreds of them along with all my other fishies.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #5 
Bloodeath

Smile Friends that go "Blub"

My betta experience started because of my girlfriend. Being with her for nearly a year now, she wanted to get our first pet. which we originally wanted a hamster but we came to find out, we have riddex noise box things in our wall (that kill, and or make vermin go crazy cause of supersonic noise.) So that quickly became a bad idea. So after that experience we went off and started looking up different kinds of fish, majorly because they dont need as much care (or so we thought). So we ended up going to our local walmart, to find that they have 1 really sickly looking generic Blue VT.

Well you know what they say,
sometimes you pick the betta,
and sometimes they pick you.

Well he picked us.
So we got him, thrusted him into a vase for about the first couple weeks, and the more and more we got attached to our new fishy friend (Here out called pablito) the more we felt bad for keeping him in a little 1g vase. So we went off got a 5 gallon tank for him, and within a month he died.
needless to say we were upset, after going off and buying a five gallon tank, Freeze dried blood worms, spending like nearly 30$ on ornaments, the works.

So we ended up replacing him with a new VTbetta (sad right?)

Pablito2 is still alive to this day, we've had him for about 2-3 months now. And now we have 2, 5 gallon tanks, 1 10gallon tank (Spawning tank), 2 1g bubble filtered tanks, and 1 vase. and now we're up to 7 betta pals (Which are listed in my signature)

But i'd have to say the reason why we keep them and pamper them so much, is because neither of us have seen a breed of fish (Bettas in general) That show so much personality and character. They ended up being the perfect pets for us, and now were overly addicted to them, probably like the rest of you guys. Heh.
Bloodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #6 
Wildfire

I was extremely lonely at home, and my mom has never let me have a pet (dog, cat, whatnot). I've always loved bettas, and one day my friends and I were at Petco, and we just bought a fish, on a whim. We bought a crappy little betta kit, with a 1.2 gallon tank. After researching bettas, I upgraded him to a 2 gallon tank with toys, plants, the works.

I can watch my Epsilon for hours. He's such a joy, and he keeps me company and keeps me happy. He reminds me of my friends, and of the simple, peaceful, wonderful things in life. He's "just a fish", but he's helped me cope with my boyfriend of 3 years leaving for college. He keeps me busy by entertaining me with his adorable antics, and the added responsibility of feeding, cleaning, etc. It also makes me happy that I've saved him from his sad little Petco cup, and each day he lives is like a gift to me - a reminder that I can keep something alive. It's a great thing to know. (:
Wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #7 
fleetfish

Bacause I love them. Isn't that enough? :)
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:14 PM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

To be honest, my first betta was because .... friends, to fight them. I know what you all think and I feel the same way now (that was in 1973 just returned from the states).
Now I simply love their beauty and are something to care for. They ease my mind, mood, or what ever when ever I get ...... you know.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #9 
Jayy

To add to what I first wrote. Now I keep bettas beacause they're beautiful, fun, different from other fish, and easy to care for.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #10 
artist4life

my best friend who died told me when he felt down he would look at his betta and i felt verry depressed but after i got one my boyfriend and i were so happy we love are little bubblez
artist4life is offline   Reply With Quote