Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #1 
Phoxly

Tail Biting Theories :D

Bettas that bite their own fins... seems... odd to me that they'd do it out of boredom, and that they'd do it out of stress. I have another theory, and to accurately confirm it we need to look at bettas that actually bite.

I've never had a betta tail bite, but I've never had a betta that flared daily, or was in a situation where they would flair daily (divided tanks).

So I think it has something to do with them flaring, perhaps when they flare and jerk all over the place, they see their tail in their peripheral vision, and attack thinking it is another betta, or their target.

I do doubt a betta can slowly reach back and bite their tail, so I imagine it as a rapid and quick movement, such as when hyped up on testosterone or flaring?

All the "tail biting" victims I have seen usualy have before and after pics, and the before pic they are flaring, which means they probably do it on a regular basis, for whatever reason....

Thoughts?
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:33 AM   #2 
LoveSGSE

Yeah, I dont think they do it out of boredom. I mean, would you bite yourself out of boredom? For the " think its another betta " theory, I would think its like a dog chasing its own tail. round and round. It could probably that. But no one will know, because no ones' a betta before. :)
LoveSGSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #3 
vaygirl

Senor is the only fish I have who bites. I don't think it was flaring in HIS case, as he doesn't flare. I think he was trying to reduce his own drag (1fish actually pointed that out to me) because the filter was pushing him around. He stopped as soon as I baffled his filter and added IAL. Not sure which helped more but he's healing up super fast.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #4 
puppyrjjkm

Hmmm I think this may be probable. I have 2 tailbiters. One bit his tail while he was alone in a 5 gal and is now growing out lovely in the 20 L divided tank... While the other has 2 neighbors in a 20 L. I actually watched him do it once. He was on the gravel and just like turned around slowly, looked at his tail, and bit it! Plus he has a nice bubblenest... So I am dumbfounded. Haha
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:12 PM   #5 
miyko

Spyro would tail bit if somethign was wrong... the firsttime he got sick....because i had not betta safe just boiled and cooled down tap water...(bad i know) it was liek he did it to let me know there was something verywrong with him... but he never made a bubble nest after he tail bit ... i oncve walked in on him trying to make one but he seem almost embarrassed of me seeing it and stopped... i was sad... but he was a good guy
miyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #6 
bettalover2033

Well to see any tail bitting at all you have to see a flaring picture in order to really determine if the betta has actually bit its tail in the first place. Dont you think?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #7 
Wildfire

I can still believe a betta bites its tail out of boredom, or when it's stressed, or just because animals make weird habits. I had a parakeet once, she was happy, but she had a bad habit of plucking her feathers because she didn't get out of her cage very much (strict parents).
Wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #8 
bettalover2033

aww poor bird well you could have let her out a little lol. but back to the subject. but flaring could be a theory. well especially if they have REALLY long tails. thank god plakats cant tailbite. also VT's can either
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #9 
doggyhog

It can also be a parasitic problem. Their tail is itchy, so they try to relive the itch by biting.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #10 
Phoxly

There's more to these fish than meets the eye >:) (TRANFORMERS?)
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote