Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2010, 04:13 PM   #11 
JKfish

I think boredom was why Puffy was biting his tail (he stopped the moment he got into his 10 gallon. As for Simba, I really don't know why he bites. Right now he's in his little hospital tank, but he's still biting. Occasionally, I'll see him lay on his side with his tail curled above his head, like a "u" on it's side, and then he's spazz and bite it O_o. Thank goodness he seems to be stopping.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #12 
Phoxly

Maybe they are just retarded .____. I mean we can't expect much from their tiny brains lol but thats why we love them. I just hope my guy doesn't start biting. Btw does anyone who has a biting fish use stress coat on them?
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #13 
Fermin

I have a little crowntail that has chomped his tail into a delta. I'd lol but I'm not amused.

He's otherwise healthy, makes bubblenests, hangs out in his plants and floating log, has lots of warm fresh water... He's by far the friendliest and smartest betta I've owned. Not sure if his tendency to self-mutilate is in his genes or if it's a response to something I'm missing...
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #14 
bettalover2033

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoxly View Post
Maybe they are just retarded .____. I mean we can't expect much from their tiny brains lol but thats why we love them. I just hope my guy doesn't start biting. Btw does anyone who has a biting fish use stress coat on them?
Ohat was kinda offending, you see its people like you that put down fish just because they dont do much doesnt mean they are stupid or "retarded" like you said.

Im sorry if i was rude but that kind of go me a little upset of how people can just judge them on what they see and not really what they are. Im sure you love all of your bettas and will do anything to care for them. you are a good betta keeper im 100% SURE but i didnt like that comment and im sorry if i blew up at you for that.

My problem is i have a big mouth and couldnt let this pass, You dont have to say sorry or anything like that i just wanted to point it out and let you know!

Again im sorry!!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #15 
Phoxly

I say "retarded" in a whole hearted and loving way. They aren't "stupid" but I do consider them somewhat slow, much like I think my German Shepherd is retarded at times ;P
Old 08-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #16 
puppyrjjkm

I don't think they need to flare at all to notice tailbiting...
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #17 
shmifty5

I'd like to mention that 'retard' isn't an ok word to use, it is both offensive and derogatory to persons/animals with a deficient or lacking mental capacity, please show a little more consideration and use better words, like stupid or handicapped.
shmifty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:12 PM   #18 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoxly View Post
I say "retarded" in a whole hearted and loving way. They aren't "stupid" but I do consider them somewhat slow, much like I think my German Shepherd is retarded at times ;P
Well i guess your kinda right but they are smarter that we put them out to be.

Did you mean like "retarded" in a funny way like they act silly? Sorry i think i over re-acted!!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #19 
Phoxly

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmifty5 View Post
I'd like to mention that 'retard' isn't an ok word to use, it is both offensive and derogatory to persons/animals with a deficient or lacking mental capacity, please show a little more consideration and use better words, like stupid or handicapped.
Well sorry but fish happen to have a deficient and lacking mental capacity, Sarah Palin.

I did mean it in a way as in they act retarded, and do silly things, not in a crude manor at all.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #20 
shmifty5

It really doesn't matter how you use the word, the word is still offensive, just like racial slurs or otherwise foul language, you can use the N-word in a fun or silly context but it's still the N-word, see what I'm trying to say?
shmifty5 is offline   Reply With Quote