Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2010, 09:01 PM   #21 
JKfish
Member
 
JKfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Georgia
Shmifty does have a point. I personally know several menatally handicapped people, and retarded isn't a polite word in one way or another. I understand you didn't mean it to be, and I'll admit I sorta chuckled to myself, but still..


Anyways, that's a bit off topic. Back to the topic: Well, I know breeders don't breed tail biters (I still don't know why), so I doubt tail biting is just a habit one fish will develop, maybe tailbiters have tail biting babies? ._.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:50 PM   #22 
Phoxly
Member
 
Phoxly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Could be, but if my male in my pair had tore up fins after being by himself, I'd probably not breed him just because I wouldn't want him to pass that on... but if I was just trying to make a quick buck and didn't care if he had tore up fins as long as he produced pretty colors, that may be why. Like alcoholism or depression, they pass it on?
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:03 PM   #23 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmifty5 View Post
i'd like to mention that 'retard' isn't an ok word to use, it is both offensive and derogatory to persons/animals with a deficient or lacking mental capacity, please show a little more consideration and use better words, like stupid or handicapped.
you didnt make anything any better because "stupid" and "handicapped" is even more offending and not any better those words. So any of those words shouldnt be used !!!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #24 
shmifty5
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
you didnt make anything any better because "stupid" and "handicapped" is even more offending and not any better those words. So any of those words shouldnt be used !!!
Sorry but you are wrong, though stupid may be used more or less as a put-down it is still proper in terms of how logical or rational something is, ie a bike with square tires is stupid, or Timmy does stupid things, the same goes for handicapped as it is not a derogatory term, it is the proper terminology, ie that athlete who broke his leg is now handicapped, or Timmy is handicapped because he has autism, neither of those words have such a negative feeling as 'retard' does and this is for a good reason, retard has been used as a derogattory term for so long many people don't realize it has proper uses (retarder brakes, retard the fire, etc), the same can't be said for stupid or handicapped, while there are more elegent and 'proper' terms that can be applied the words stupid+handicapped are proper.

Now back on topic, I know some bad habits can be passed on to the children by making them predisposed to taking on those habits, so maybe thats how it all started, or it could simply be a better explanation as to why only some bettas bite and why some bite more often than others.
shmifty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:49 PM   #25 
Phoxly
Member
 
Phoxly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmifty5 View Post
Sorry but you are wrong, though stupid may be used more or less as a put-down it is still proper in terms of how logical or rational something is, ie a bike with square tires is stupid, or Timmy does stupid things, the same goes for handicapped as it is not a derogatory term, it is the proper terminology, ie that athlete who broke his leg is now handicapped, or Timmy is handicapped because he has autism, neither of those words have such a negative feeling as 'retard' does and this is for a good reason, retard has been used as a derogattory term for so long many people don't realize it has proper uses (retarder brakes, retard the fire, etc), the same can't be said for stupid or handicapped, while there are more elegent and 'proper' terms that can be applied the words stupid+handicapped are proper.
Well in today's day and age, and future generations, the word Retard has become a synonym for Stupid. Stupid was a huge hit 10-20 years ago, which I took offense to because people refered to my sister who had an underdeveloped brain as stupid, and she was often made fun of because of it. She's perfectly fine today, and hardly takes offense to the term because she understands the slang of it in modern day society. This same evolution of slang is alike to calling something "gay" if it doesn't go "straight" the way it should. These terms have been used for such a long time, that people don't care that they have a derogatory background. Why do you think black people started using the N word? They forgot or have no respect for the background the word serves, and theres nothing society can do about it except adapt to it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by shmifty5 View Post
Now back on topic, I know some bad habits can be passed on to the children by making them predisposed to taking on those habits, so maybe thats how it all started, or it could simply be a better explanation as to why only some bettas bite and why some bite more often than others.
Well said, I agree completely that bad habits and behaviors are easily passed on through generations, and some generations create their own. It will be interesting to see what the next generation creates.
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:34 AM   #26 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmifty5 View Post
Sorry but you are wrong, though stupid may be used more or less as a put-down it is still proper in terms of how logical or rational something is, ie a bike with square tires is stupid, or Timmy does stupid things, the same goes for handicapped as it is not a derogatory term, it is the proper terminology, ie that athlete who broke his leg is now handicapped, or Timmy is handicapped because he has autism, neither of those words have such a negative feeling as 'retard' does and this is for a good reason, retard has been used as a derogattory term for so long many people don't realize it has proper uses (retarder brakes, retard the fire, etc), the same can't be said for stupid or handicapped, while there are more elegent and 'proper' terms that can be applied the words stupid+handicapped are proper.

Now back on topic, I know some bad habits can be passed on to the children by making them predisposed to taking on those habits, so maybe thats how it all started, or it could simply be a better explanation as to why only some bettas bite and why some bite more often than others.
Yes but you were referring to fish you said nothing about all that other stuff so i am not wrong but i think you should have been more specific

im sorry for interrupting and going out of topic okay
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #27 
dramaqueen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central Texas
I'm sure Phoxly didn't mean it the way it sounded. I find the word "handicapped" to be offensive. I'm considered legally blind and I would rather use the word "disabled" rather than handicapped. ok, now that I've said that, lets get back on topic. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:39 PM   #28 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
yes lets just do that. im sorry i even said anything!!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:42 PM   #29 
puppyrjjkm
Member
 
puppyrjjkm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
I was wondering if anyone knew of a CT that was a tail biter...
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #30 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
nope not me at all, but i was thinking the same thing!!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tail Biting/ Ripped Tail serenityroyal Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 7 05-06-2010 12:59 PM
Tail biting?? honeyfish Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 1 03-13-2010 12:01 AM
is this tail biting? :( Neelie Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 3 03-08-2010 03:14 PM
Tail biting? sandystar Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 3 11-16-2009 08:21 PM
Tail biting (fin of course) gahcrazy Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 0 10-16-2009 01:19 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.