Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2010, 10:07 PM   #1 
Alexanderismylife

Hard water stains on my tanks?

I have some hard water stain spots on Alex's 5 gallon and I've tried just scrubbing them with hot water but they don't seem to come off...I know better than to use cleaners though but does anyone know any ways to help get hard water stains off the glass?

Thanks,Kayla
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:10 PM   #2 
Welsh

Vinegar and water or bleach and water. I haven't used the vinegar solution before but I did use flash a bleach spray on my 2.5 gallon when it had a really bad case of algae after sitting in the sun for weeks and this worked wonders just remember to REALLY clean throughly and when you think you've soaked it and rinsed it enough do it a couple more times
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

I use glass cleaner. Since its on the outside of the aquarium its fine to use a cleaner like that. The trick is to spray the cleaner into a paper towel AWAY from the tank and then use that to wipe the tank down.

You can also use bleach or vinegar but it is safe to use glass cleaner if you don't spray it directly onto the tank (because there is a chance some could accidentally get into the tank that way).

ETA.. I also use microfiber cloths to wipe down the tank after each water change to help prevent water stains (and scratches). If you have an acrylic tank I highly suggest you use microfiber on it because even some papertowels will leave little scratches on it.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote