Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2010, 10:42 PM   #1 
pettygil

Post I have a Male Betta with 2 male Platies, they nip eachother

I went to the pet store and the lady told sold me all three fish out of the same tank, which had male Platies, mickey mouse fish. The Blue Betta I bought were all from the same tank, so I though it would be alright.

I have a 10 gallon tank, with a whisper filter and the temps are between 80-82. I have added Aquarium salt to. Just in-case Bully Betta has fin rot. I do ten percent water changes every 2 days on the ten gallon tank.

My Betta "Bully" sometimes minds his own business, and other times he starts picking on my Mickey Mouse Fish. The Mickey mouse fish for the most part leave the Betta alone. Then the Mickey mouse fish like to nip each other.

I do have to get more then one plant for the tank, which I will get in a few days. I have to wait to I get paid.

I notice my Betta's fins look a little ragged. It doesn't look like fin rot, though I am not sure of that, just looks like his fins.. at the top of his fins, looked chewed on. Then, that could be normal, again I am not sure.

Should I keep the Betta, or take back to the store? I want to keep the Betta but the fish keep nipping each other. What should I do? I do not have another tank and I do not have room for another tank, nor the money.

I have a 5 gallon tank also, with one blue Betta named Charlie, Shark, but he is male and I can't place another male Betta Bully in with him, or someone one die.

I do have a glass bowl but I am not sticking my Betta in there to live.

Last edited by pettygil; 08-24-2010 at 10:51 PM.
pettygil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:50 PM   #2 
Atlas58

Depends on how big the bowl is, he can survive for the while till a new tank is established.
Atlas58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #3 
Phoxly

Are you intending to cycle this tank? Cycling the tank with nippy fish is probably not the best thing because the high chemical levels won't be very forgiving for the wounded fins. And you should try getting 2-3 more platy fish so they balance out the nipping and leave the betta alone and stick to their school of 5. If you are cycling, 10% changes every 2 days isn't always required. Instead, test the water every 2 days for Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates. And then change if they are in the danger zone.
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #4 
betta99

the bowl could be a temporary home for him until you get a new tank. it depends on how big it is.
betta99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #5 
pettygil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoxly View Post
Are you intending to cycle this tank? Cycling the tank with nippy fish is probably not the best thing because the high chemical levels won't be very forgiving for the wounded fins. And you should try getting 2-3 more platy fish so they balance out the nipping and leave the betta alone and stick to their school of 5. If you are cycling, 10% changes every 2 days isn't always required. Instead, test the water every 2 days for Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates. And then change if they are in the danger zone.
Yes, I am cycling the tank with the fish. You said 2 or 3 platy fish, can they be male, as I only have male fish in my ten gallon. I don't want any babies.

The tank has been cycling for a little over a week, should I get more platy fish, or should I wait a little longer?

I could get female platies, but then I might have a fish baby problem.

I have been adding aquarium salt to the tank and I am doing water changes a lot.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #6 
Phoxly

I dont think you will have a baby problem, and if you do, it is likely the other platies who are not the parents will eat the eggs, or you betta will. I have 3 female phantom Tetras, and 1 male, and no eggs yet :D Platies can be schooling fish I think, so if you had about 5 total (odd numbers) and one betta, that should be fine.

Is it the betta who is hostile?
Old 08-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #7 
Phoxly

http://aqadvisor.com/

Mickey Mouse Fish are called Xiphophorus Maculatus and you can have about 5 of them and still have stocking room.

Last edited by Phoxly; 08-25-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #8 
bettalover2033

really i didnt know that, that is cool!!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:27 PM   #9 
Phoxly

It mostly depends on the tank, if it is cycled, cause an uncycled tank usually cant have as much I think?
Old 08-25-2010, 10:14 PM   #10 
pettygil

Ok, the problem is the Betta is attacking my platy fish. So you are saying if I buy 3 more platy fish, then my Betta will stop nipping the platy fish?

Should I take the Betta back to the store, or hope for the best? I do not know what to do. The bowl I have is too small for my Betta.

I have 2 platies, 3 more would make 5 Platies. The platy is nipping the other platy, so if I buy 3 more male platies, then that should stop, the nipping?

Do I have to buy female Platies, or all male platies, ok to have? Just asking.

I do have One male Betta in a 5 gallon and he is male. He is all by himself. The other Betta I have in a ten gallon and is male to. I don't know if the other Betta would be nice to my platies, then again that is a 5 gallon tank, so prob too small I would think.

Last edited by pettygil; 08-25-2010 at 10:20 PM.