Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 02:04 PM   #11 
doggyhog

Thanks guys.. I'm rigorously treating the rest for IP and EP for a while. NOT messing around with this.

I didn't mention in my OP that I did try to treat him with typical parasite meds. However, somethings just can't be cured and I didn't have much hope. I don't like to put a fish through treatment if I know they won't make it. If fact, I've euthed fish before.

Thank you all for the support. I'm always so hard on myself when I lose a fish. Whether it was my fault or not.

Raja had been a little "off" since I had him. But I figured he was just adjusting. He had a funny looking tumor like thing on his tail. Never affected him and there isn't a cure or treatment for tumors anyway.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #12 
Jayy

I'm soo sorry about Raja he was stunning!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 02:17 PM   #13 
FBA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
I'm not going to point out and address the first sentence of your post, as we all know it was a rude thing to say.

I did want to point out, in case anyone was confused by your post, that aquarium salt, in this instance, would not have been the "magical cure" in this particular case. This was a parasite issue, not a "bacterial disease". I can only assume you missed the part of doggyhog post where she stated that there was a worm in the lump. Metronidazole would have been the medication to have been used here, not salt. Even had metro been used it may have been too late anyway. These things sometimes happen, despite the best care we can give.

Doggyhog, I am sorry you lost your betta.
as for aquarium salt suggestion, i asked if he/she used it or not, didn't told him/her "you should have used aquarium salt for that parasite", did i? i think not. so you misinterpreted what i was trying to say, not me. nor did i stated it's a magical cure for Betta's that are effected by parasites, You Madam, Not Me?

ok so if that's clear, he/she stated, he/she has 11 Betta's left. so maybe my suggestions were toward the ones that are still alive and not the one that's dead? Salt DOES prevent a lot of Bacterias that can grow in freshwater. and every disease that is known to effect Betta's are all very much related. where i got this intel from? well not by asking any fish owner or professional Betta breeder or not because i am a Professional fish keeper. it's a general basic scientific knowledge i picked up reading an article about "Water Microbiology", i copy pasted 2 last paragraphs that states the advantages that salt water have over fresh water.

"A variety of microorganisms live in fresh water. The region of a water body near the shoreline (the littoral zone) is well lighted, shallow, and warmer than other regions of the water. Photosynthetic algae and bacteria that use light as energy thrive in this zone. Further away from the shore is the limnitic zone. Photosynthetic microbes also live here. As the water deepens, temperatures become colder and the oxygen concentration and light in the water decrease. Now, microbes that require oxygen do not thrive. Instead, purple and green sulfur bacteria, which can grow without oxygen, dominate. Finally, at the bottom of fresh waters (the benthic zone), few microbes survive. Bacteria that can survive in the absence of oxygen and sunlight, such as methane producing bacteria, thrive.

Saltwater presents a different environment to microorganisms. The higher salt concentration, higher pH, and lower nutrients, relative to freshwater,
"are lethal to many microorganisms." But, salt loving (halophilic) bacteria abound near the surface, and some bacteria that also live in freshwater are plentiful (i.e., Pseudomonas and Vibrio). Also, in 2001, researchers demonstrated that the ancient form of microbial life known as archaebacteria is one of the dominant forms of life in the ocean. The role of archaebacteria in the ocean food chain is not yet known, but must be of vital importance."

you can further read about this article discussed here below.
http://science.jrank.org/pages/7311/...robiology.html

and i thank you for not pointing out my "why should i give a Damn" comment. the dead isn't coming back to life any time soon, all i can do is maybe share a bit of my suggestions to save the ones that are still living and breathing. Doggy i am sorry but dragging my comment and suggestions this far wasn't my idea, if you don't use Aquarium salt for your Betta's i was trying to suggest you start to use them. if you do good for you and you have yet to answer my other 2 questions.

another thing i saw your Betta's pic in a little Petco sized Betta plastic cup, i hope you don't keep all your Betta's in little jar like that, in short ill say odds are stacked against you in maintaining proper Betta health in that size containers unless you do daily water change. good luck with your other 11 Betta's.

Last edited by iamntbatman; 08-25-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #14 
vaygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBA View Post

another thing i saw your Betta's pic in a little Petco sized Betta plastic cup, i hope you don't keep all your Betta's in little jar like that, in short ill say odds are stacked against you in maintaining proper Betta health in that size containers unless you do daily water change. good luck with your other 11 Betta's.
That was when she first brought him home from the store. You don't know anything about DH or her fish-keeping methods. She's been keeping bettas for a LONG time. She knows what she's doing. Just drop it. It's not helping anyone.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #15 
Jayy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
That was when she first brought him home from the store. You don't know anything about DH or her fish-keeping methods. She's been keeping bettas for a LONG time. She knows what she's doing. Just drop it. It's not helping anyone.
YOU tell him Vaygirl!!!! You know NOTHING about DH and for that matter talking to people and being part of commuity. You can't go judging people for their mistakes and the pics they take. I hate to name call, but you're being a big JERK!!!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #16 
dukie1346

I agree with the others, you should not judge other people by what they post. I understand you are trying to help out, but you shouldn't be a jerk about it.

When you said you don't care what anyone else thinks, you are missing the point of posting in the forum. If you really want to help out, make sure you understand the situation. DH knows a lot about bettas, and I'm sure you know stuff about betta fish as well, but if you're going to share info, don't act like you're the betta expert. We're all here to learn.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #17 
FBA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
YOU tell him Vaygirl!!!! You know NOTHING about DH and for that matter talking to people and being part of commuity. You can't go judging people for their mistakes and the pics they take. I hate to name call, but you're being a big JERK!!!!!
lol thanks for being honest and yes i KNOW i am a jerk but seriously you grown ups really need to get past rough comments and whimp like kids. i understand you respect Doggyhog so you guys are doing what i would for my friend but then again maybe if it's worth my time.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:59 PM   #18 
FBA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
that's right i don't know Doggyhog and so i asked with curiosity from what i saw in the given picture Doggyhog posted AND stated the obvious fact of what can happen in a little jar.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #19 
FBA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie1346 View Post
I agree with the others, you should not judge other people by what they post. I understand you are trying to help out, but you shouldn't be a jerk about it.

When you said you don't care what anyone else thinks, you are missing the point of posting in the forum. If you really want to help out, make sure you understand the situation. DH knows a lot about bettas, and I'm sure you know stuff about betta fish as well, but if you're going to share info, don't act like you're the betta expert. We're all here to learn.
you are right and i agree not to judge others by what they post, now given you understand that sentence well, maybe you should consider the same approach when you read my post.

aside that thank you for understanding the obvious meaning of my approach. these days peoples don't need a lot to know the basic of caring Betta's. it's a matter of you wanting to learn and find out by browsing onlne about all the Betta facts from various sources. good day to you sir.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #20 
iamntbatman

First, doggyhog, I'm very sorry for your loss. That was one beautiful fish. I hate to further derail the thread, but there are some issues here that I think need to be addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBA View Post
nor did i stated it's a magical cure for Betta's that are effected by parasites, You Madam, Not Me?
Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBA
Aquarium salt, they are a magical property, consider using aquarium salt from now on if you didn't use it till now for your Betta's.
If we're talking about "magic" here, why are parasites resistant to said magic while bacteria can't resist it? The fact is that there isn't anything we can add to our tanks that's in any way, shape or form "magical." Fishkeeping is a science woven of a complex tapestry of the chemical and biological reactions in our tanks. Yes, certain types of organisms that can cause our freshwater fish harm are adversely affected by increased salinity. Bacteria are actually not usually affected by the small amounts of salt we would use. The most affected actually are external protozoan parasites. However, just because salt can be effective in countering these parasites does not mean that it's always a good idea to use salt to treat them and further does not mean that it's a good idea to keep salt in the tank as a preventative measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBA
ok so if that's clear, he/she stated, he/she has 11 Betta's left. so maybe my suggestions were toward the ones that are still alive and not the one that's dead? Salt DOES prevent a lot of Bacterias that can grow in freshwater. and every disease that is known to effect Betta's are all very much related. where i got this intel from? well not by asking any fish owner or professional Betta breeder or not because i am a Professional fish keeper. it's a general basic scientific knowledge i picked up reading an article about "Water Microbiology", i copy pasted 2 last paragraphs that states the advantages that salt water have over fresh water.

"A variety of microorganisms live in fresh water. The region of a water body near the shoreline (the littoral zone) is well lighted, shallow, and warmer than other regions of the water. Photosynthetic algae and bacteria that use light as energy thrive in this zone. Further away from the shore is the limnitic zone. Photosynthetic microbes also live here. As the water deepens, temperatures become colder and the oxygen concentration and light in the water decrease. Now, microbes that require oxygen do not thrive. Instead, purple and green sulfur bacteria, which can grow without oxygen, dominate. Finally, at the bottom of fresh waters (the benthic zone), few microbes survive. Bacteria that can survive in the absence of oxygen and sunlight, such as methane producing bacteria, thrive.

Saltwater presents a different environment to microorganisms. The higher salt concentration, higher pH, and lower nutrients, relative to freshwater,
"are lethal to many microorganisms." But, salt loving (halophilic) bacteria abound near the surface, and some bacteria that also live in freshwater are plentiful (i.e., Pseudomonas and Vibrio). Also, in 2001, researchers demonstrated that the ancient form of microbial life known as archaebacteria is one of the dominant forms of life in the ocean. The role of archaebacteria in the ocean food chain is not yet known, but must be of vital importance."

you can further read about this article discussed here below.
Water Microbiology - Bacteria, Microorganisms, Life, Drinking, Microbes, and Coli
That's all interesting reading, sure, but doesn't really address the actual use of salt in a freshwater aquarium or, specifically, in a fish tank with a betta. Bettas are softwater fish. In nature, they are found in waters extremely low in salinity. They're very sensitive to salt and therefore, in my opinion, salt should never be used in a betta tank in any circumstances. Even if the fish is suffering from external protozoan parasites, there are other treatments (heat and other medications) that I would use before using salt in the case of salt-sensitive fish.
Closed Thread