Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2012, 02:31 AM   #1 
SweetNightmare

Took the Planted Plunge

My tank is currently entirely planted. No fake plants at all. Now that I have my lighting sorted out, all my plants I had already are thriving and I even had to snip back my moneywort and anacharis, making a new bunch of plants to fill my tank. Today, I brought home some clippings of chain swords and amazon swords, just babies our ones at work had grown. I took home some of the substrate tabs we had at work, AquariumPlants.com brand. I put it in the substrate near the swords, and I'm dosing with API LeafZone. When I run out, I'm going to try Tetra FloraPride. For my stem feeding plants.

My question is what do y'all think of this set up? Should I do anything else for the swords? I can't afford a CO2 diffuser, will they be okay without it? Whatever tablets I end up buying, I want to be as cost effective as possible. Any you would recommend?
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

I think if you have enough livestock in the tank, and good lighting you will never need to fertilize. :) You don't seem to have any picky plants in there anyway
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #3 
ZergyMonster

I pretty much stopped using fertalizers because I am constantly dealing with brown hair algae. I switched to lower wattage bulbs and still have the issue.

Having 6500k bulbs and livestock in the tank is enough food for any plant to thrive.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #4 
SweetNightmare

Oh? I'd heard that swords are really picky about having ferts. Thanks for the help. :) I'll let everyone know how the new plants do. I hope they grow fast, the unevenness of my tank is bugging me, haha.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I tried TetraFloraPride and it didn't do much for me - I had better luck with Seachem Flourish. :) They do root tabs, too. That's if you want ferts, anyway.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #6 
SweetNightmare

Doesn't flourish melt certain plants though?
Old 05-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #7 
ZergyMonster

I've used flourish and never had an issue. I have Amazon swords, anacharis,java ferns, anubias, red ludwigia, flame moss, duckweed, crypts, water primrose and dwarf hair grass.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #8 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I tried TetraFloraPride and it didn't do much for me - I had better luck with Seachem Flourish. :) They do root tabs, too. That's if you want ferts, anyway.
Ooh great to hear! I bought flourish today at petsmart- I had no idea how well it would work so hearing this makes me feel confident! I just fully planted my aquarium.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

Flourish Excel (the liquid carbon supplement) can melt some plants - anacharis being a notable example - but Flourish itself is fine. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote