Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #1 
FuulieQ

Exclamation Okay, now I'm panicking.

I posted a thread a while ago that I thought Freed might have internal parasites because his poop had a white coating. Well, when I cleaned out his tank yesterday, I found normal looking poop, so now I have no idea what that was all about. Maybe the white coating just dissolved or something? I've been trying to get him to eat the medicated food with no success- he comes right up, sucks it in, holds onto it for a good thirty seconds and then spits it right back out.

Then today, I noticed that he has a very slight white 'eyebrow' around one of his eyes. It isn't bulging, and this is new- new within the past few days or so.

I lost a rescue fish to popeye. No matter what I did, it just didn't seem to get better. I tried bettafix (what they were treating him with before I got him), Maracyn and Jungle anti-fungus tabs- nothing. He suffered and died horribly. I still feel terrible about it.

I JUST upgraded Freed to a five gallon tank, with gravel and real plants and a few snails. I'm afraid that medicating the water is going to kill the plants and snails. I have saltwater maracyn on hand (accidentally bought the wrong kind, leave it to me to do that) but with the other fish's popeye, the maracyn seemed to only make it worse.

I don't know what to do, and I have to leave tomorrow.

EDIT: Just tested for ammonia. Came back safe. (liquid test, of course.) I don't know what else could have caused it unless the snails gave him something or the bloodworms I fed him a while ago were bad...

Last edited by FuulieQ; 08-25-2010 at 10:03 PM.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #2 
FuulieQ

I read the box searching for anything that said maracyn was safe for plants. It wasn't mentioned. I figured I could replace the plants if anything bad happened, so I put in a dose of the saltwater maracyn before I left. I ask for updates on him as often as possible without annoying my fish-sitter. So far, I only hear good things... we'll see how he is when I get back.

... 69 views and no comments? Really? I realize I seem negligent for leaving him, but this trip is really important in ways that I don't feel required to disclose.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #3 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuulieQ View Post
I read the box searching for anything that said maracyn was safe for plants. It wasn't mentioned. I figured I could replace the plants if anything bad happened, so I put in a dose of the saltwater maracyn before I left. I ask for updates on him as often as possible without annoying my fish-sitter. So far, I only hear good things... we'll see how he is when I get back.

... 69 views and no comments? Really? I realize I seem negligent for leaving him, but this trip is really important in ways that I don't feel required to disclose.

I hope he recovers for you.

Unfortunately i have no idea whats wrong with him mate.
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:35 PM   #4 
FuulieQ

Thanks for commenting anyway. :)
Old 08-31-2010, 08:25 AM   #5 
karlhague

Quote:
Thanks for commenting anyway. :)
No worries mate, I'm trying to get my Little guy to stay still for all of a second so i can get a photo of him in the tank.

But he zooms off everytime my phone or camera is shown.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:08 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't think you're being negligent for leaving him. I had to leave mine for 2 weeks one time and 10 days for another. Sometimes things can't be helped.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #7 
FuulieQ

Thanks. ;_; I felt really bad about it, though. It seems like he only acts weird when I have to leave.

Came back today, and he looks the same as when I left. He eagerly snapped up a pellet I put in (non-medicated, of course. :P). Maybe I'm just being a hypochondriac about my fish....
Old 09-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #8 
karlhague

Quote:
Thanks. ;_; I felt really bad about it, though. It seems like he only acts weird when I have to leave.

Came back today, and he looks the same as when I left. He eagerly snapped up a pellet I put in (non-medicated, of course. :P). Maybe I'm just being a hypochondriac about my fish....
Nah, I think its because you Care..

But I am glad he didnt get any worse!!
Old 09-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #9 
FuulieQ

Yeah, me too! I was terrified that I'd come back and his eye would be bulging out and white like it was on my rescue fish. :E

I just tried to take pictures of him and discovered how hard it is to catch a skittish fish in a flare. Did you ever get pictures of your boy?
Old 09-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #10 
karlhague

Quote:
Yeah, me too! I was terrified that I'd come back and his eye would be bulging out and white like it was on my rescue fish. :E

I just tried to take pictures of him and discovered how hard it is to catch a skittish fish in a flare. Did you ever get pictures of your boy?
I have one when he was in the bag, and i have two more on my phone to upload!!!.

He has stopped flaring havent seen a flare all day.