Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #1 
Skater101

Unhappy Fish desies

Someone please help !! I moved my betta fish from a 1 gallon tank to a 10 gallon tank I put a filter but no heater cause I thought he would be fine but I am having doughts. When I mooved him I noticed he turned a pale gray around his face and his back. Also his front fins are white at the tips and I'm worried someone please help !!

Last edited by Skater101; 06-27-2010 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Title
Skater101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:40 PM   #2 
AureliaAurita

Well he's probably very stressed out right now. There are a couple things to consider when changing tanks:
1. Is the new tank cycled and the water declorinated?
2. Is the new tank an appropriate temp?
3. Was the betta acclimated to the new tank before releasing into the water?
4. Does the new tank have enough foliage and hiding spots so that he doesn't feel so exposed?
5. Does the new tank have a lot of other fishie residents that could make him uncomfortable?

A good way to calm down your betta that has worked for me is to isolate him in a 1 gal with places to hide, add some aquarium salt and possibly stress coat, and put him in the dark to relax for a little while. Then, when the 10 gal is set up properly, you can let him acclimate in a baggie with water from the old tank or in a floating cup before he is released into the new tank.

Hope this helps!

ps- Check the stickies posted around here about introducing bettas into new homes; there's a lot of good information out there.
AureliaAurita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #3 
smallvle

Heater is super important. Bettas' need water temps around 77-80 degrees F to survive! You can get a tetra 2-15 (2 to 15 gal) heater for around $12-$15 at any petstore.
smallvle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #4 
Jakr959

Hmm, that is quite a pickle. He is most likely stressed, I agree with AA. Ask your self all those questions and figure them otu, after ansering, post it and we will be able to give you further advice.
Good Luck!
Jakr959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:58 PM   #5 
MustardGas

About the white-tipped fins...

Are they his ventrals? (The loooong one under his belly) If so, that's usually normal. Many bettas have white-tipped ventrals. If it's changed suddenly from say, red to white, then I'd worry.
MustardGas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #6 
Skater101

Yeah when I bought him they were red and they changed.I also have no heater I went to the pet store because I was so worried and the lady said he did not need a heater and that if he had a filter he would be fine. So I didn't worry and he has lots of places to hide and seems fine now but still has white tips.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #7 
Skater101

And to answer the questions
1.yes there is a eheim filter
2.no heater but the temp is almost always around 74F
3.no not sure I kept him in a big clear bowl next to the tank as I was setting it up.
4.yes lots
5.it might I usto have water frogs and guppies in the tank before but it was 2 years ago and I have cleaned it lots before putting him in.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:40 PM   #8 
dubdukes

i strongly suggest you GET A HEATER!!!! i had my first betta in a 1.5 gallon without a heater thinking as my room was always around 75 he'd be ok.. WRONG!!! they need a higher heat range then i find comfortable in my room. i've since moved her to a 10gallon filtered and heated tank and she is loving it immensely.

how soon after the tank was set up did you add your betta? if less then a day then your tank wasnt properly cycled and the water probably wasnt totally decontaminated and something in the water stressed him out. Get some slime coat and follow AA's advice on how to calm him down.

best of luck.
dubdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #9 
wallywestisthebest333

It sounds like your tank isn't cycled, it's too cold, and you didn't acclimate your betta. Most are easily fixed problems.

1: get a heater. I suggest the marineland 25 watt adjustable as the tetra 25 watt heater suggested above lets the temp fluctuate as much as 6 degrees and that's not good. =[ I have one and just got my marineland. I'm loving it! =]

2: before you toss your fish in put him in a bag or cup and put the bag or cup in the aquarium to float. this will help the temperatures to adjust and become equal in his cup/bag and the tank. Then pour most of the water in his cup out (not into the tank) and replace it with a little bit of tank water every five minutes. this will acclimate him. once the cups's water level is where it was to begin with you can release him. =]

Cycling is NOT an easy thing to do. starting my cycle tomorrow. it usually takes 3-8 weeks to cycle a tank. =/
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #10 
betta fish crazy

It sound like the pet store lady wasn't quite telling the truth! Don't worry, I've been fooled before too. XD As to the color change, some slow color change is normal. But I think the change you described is a result of tress.
betta fish crazy is offline   Reply With Quote