Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #1 
BettaBoy84

Talking Natural Indoor Breeding Tank

Currently I have been having some great success with my indoor planted tank. I have been using a 12 gallon (roughly) bin with a 2 inch organic soil base and a 1.5 inch natural black sand cap (from Georgian bay, ON) densely planted with java ferns, bunch plants and other stem plants. I also added 4 or 5 floating water lettuce, the roots offer awesome places to hide for females during breeding! Also English White Oak leaves, which were chosen by male to build his nest under (see pic).

The planted bin has been filled and heated at 80' and was left running for 2 weeks without anything in it. On Sunday morning, I introduced the female for the day letting her get used to the area. Then later that night I placed a vase over her to protect her, with top and bottom open. The male was then introduced to the tank and the 2 were left alone for 2 days. On Tuesday night I released the female. The 2 days following were fairly violent with the nips and bites, but that didn't last too long.

This morning I removed the female as She had Just finished spawning a second time. This was my first witness of a spawn, but due to falling fry from the massive bubble nest, I knew it was the second Spawn.

The male has been tending to the nest 24/7 and is now alone other than 3 golden mystery snails. The female is now recuperating in a private jar with white oak leaves and some AQUA salt. As well as being fed frozen blood worms 3 times a day. (On a side note I will be conducting an experiment for Oak leaves this week, testing 4 types to see what results each leaf produces.)

I will wait for the fry to become free swimming before i decide what to feed them. I know the live plants, and micro organisms as well as snails will all aid the food available in the tank.

I will post more pics as soon as I see some progress with the fry...fingers crossed...
Attached Images

BettaBoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #2 
weluvbettas

sounds good to me! is it your first spawn?
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:28 AM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Nice set up. Hope all goes well.
Good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:38 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Great job and congrats....
You may want to get some brine shrimp hatching, you will need to start feeding the first clutch of fry pretty soon, the plants, soil and snail will help with natural food in the tank and you will have more as the set-up matures some- but with two clutches you may need to start adding food sooner, the fry are a lot tougher than most people think as I found out this summer..lol......

And depending what your plan is for the fry-you can also allow a more natural selection to happen and then you end up with only the strongest and biggest that survive.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #5 
BettaBoy84

Talking No fry yet...

Thanks OLF, Indjo, and WLB...I haven't seen much action yet..the male has been continuing to guard the nest..

I plan on feeding them shrimp when i can get some...but was hoping to start with egg yolk...I have a bunch of boiled eggs, but how much should i add to the water??

I was hoping to put some in a spray bottle, or freeze them in cubes..but how much should I mix in with water? I have a lot of boiled egg yolk lol...
Old 08-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #6 
BettaBoy84

Talking Update:

The male has been guarding the tank religiously, and making sure NOTHING gets in.. He has eaten a bunch of small worm like organisms and tried to kill many others..

I haven't seen any movement of fry from he nest...but it is possible fry are hiding in the dense vegetation on the other side of the tank...but still have yet to see fry..

The temp has stayed 4 degrees over the heaters high, sitting at 82.c
This is great as there is Absolutely no temp change whatsoever.

I have turned on the sponge filter to give a couple small bubbles every 5 seconds or so to oxidize the water a bit..lol...its at the other side of the tank and is barely noticeable to the male...

BETTA BOY
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Nice setup. Good luck with the spawn.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #8 
BettaBoy84

FRY HAVE BEEN SPOTTED!

I am seeing little fry trying to swimming away from the nest, and the father is catching them and returning them to the nest...He is also catching the others that just fall...

i will update with more pics!
Old 08-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Cool! Congrats on the fry!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:59 PM   #10 
BettaBoy84

Talking Fry update

I have recently posted the success of the fry, but have been busy with other posts and caring for the little guys to get a good update in!

The water temp is at 83 right now it the surface, but most of the fry are over by the lamp were it is sitting at 84. There are also fry starting to duck down below the surface. I think there are more in the vegetation but have yet to spot one....There are TONNES of little critters buzzin around for them to eat, hopefully they are small enough..and there is a lot of good plant grown happening both planted and floating! Probably due to keeping the AC off lol and the desk lights!

Here are some pictures of the ones on the surface (20-25) I am hoping there are more under all the vegetation...not too sure though. The male was taken out after the last post as he was selectively choosing the fry to chow down...didn't like that too much so i pulled him...though it is natural selection working it magic..

I will be starting another spawn in a few weeks..I will be creating the second indoor planted tank soon.. I will post pics of the progress..
They will wake to a nice fresh batch of brine eggs tomorrow and then will be left for the night, so I will have to feed them good and they will be left with the micro critters and plant life...
Attached Images

Tags
breeding, indoor planted tank, natural breeding, plants