Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #1 
Welsh

Trying to Figure it Out

Last week I asked for some links on betta breeding but I can't seem to understand the tail types, what I mean by this is.... if I were to breed my rosetail with my halfmoon line female or my Halfmoon male with my halfmoon line female, they are siblings then what would I get? basically this is for my own knowledge and I am not planning on breeding my bettas anytime soon, so please don't start a whole conversation on what my goals are, etc because I am just trying to research for the future, thought I would add it in there as I know how off track the breeding thread can get

Thanks
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

TBH I wouldn't breed a rose tail... at least not on your first try. Rose tails are really hard to breed (because basically its dealing with a deformity.. of the rays) and you can end up with some pretty weird looking fish.

All that said, if you bred a Rosetail to a regular HM female you would probably get a majority of HM and possibly some rosetails. Breed HM with HM and you'll get HMs and even some OHMs.

To really answer your question we really do need at least a little goal.. like what kind of tail type would you want? If your going for straight edged nice HMs I would go HMxHM, if you want to try to delve into Rosetails then an RT may be a good idea.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #3 
BettaBoy84

A lot of couples are different regardless of breed. IMO, I have found that mating veil tails can be hard and violent, but will work while I have bread a Crow, and a round tail, and they were instantly attracted spawning for days.

The results, I can not say, as I don't have the experience. but experience is the only way to grow and learn as a Betta enthiusiast!

Good luck with the spawning!
BettaBoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #4 
Welsh

Basically at the moment I just want to understand what tail types I will get if bred with a certain tail, if that even makes sense haha but if in the future I decided to breed, my RT definately wouldn't be my first choice purely for the same reason as you mentioned.

As for goals... it would obviously be to get the best type of tail that I possibly could whether that be HM or RT depends on how much work I am willing to put in but like I already said this post is purely for research
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:41 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

RoseT + HM = HM and some RoseT and HM with RoseT characteristics (or half rose HM). BUT you will ruin the genetic of your HM.

While young, they might look nice. But once full grown, many will curl, become short, uneven outer rim, etc. If you want to create RoseT, I'd suggest to use 16 based rays with 8 end rays...... (if you can identify them - I can't) This will give you either rose or OHM.

So I'd suggest that you use your HM pair instead and keep your gorgeous roseT as a collection.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Depending on the genetics of the HM-you may or may not get about 10% HM from a HMxHM-you usually get lots of deltas-but if the genetic back ground of the breeding is a strong HM you can sometimes get up to 40% HM fry...this is information from bettysplendens and betta territory
http://www.bettysplendens.com/articl...articleid=1059
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

This is so true. That's why I would suggest getting a pure HM female. They will produce at least 50 - 60% pure HM. But then again, it's not that easy to find them, both in your LFS or online. So at least try to get a perfect delta (not rounded edges). These should give you at least 10 % pure HM (if you use HM males).

By pure HM I mean an actual half circle. Not those with a rounded edges.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote