Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #1 
davyj0427

Fish cant swim upright

Need a bit of help with my fish. I am experienced at keeping fish. Right now I have a Betta in a 32 oz container doing 95% water changes once a day I have a piece of IAL in there with him the water is treated. (This is short term he was in 20 gal until he became sick) Anyway he cant seem to stay upright and is struggling to swim around, he is eating I am giving him 2 pellets a day. It seem like he wants to lay on his side and there is a visible bump near his tail. This has been going on for a few days it started in his 20 gal then I added salt it seemed to get better the next day then worse the day after that. That is when I moved him to the 32 oz. Is it a air bladder matter or could he be constipated I am going to try to feed him a pea tonight to see if it helps. I thought he would be dead by now but he keeps on chugging. Any help would be appreciated, its been a few years since keeping fish so I'm a bit rusty. Thanks

G
davyj0427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:09 PM   #2 
weluvbettas

could you get a pic of this "lump"
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:10 PM   #3 
weluvbettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvbettas View Post
could you get a pic of this "lump"
it could be a tumour. wait for codered she has a betta with a tumour
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #4 
davyj0427

I tried to get a picture but the camera/fish is not cooperating getting the right angle to show it. I would say its about a 1/4 inch long and is protruding out on both sides of the body of the fish right by his tail fin. It looks like an air bubble inside of him because when he swims down under the water his tail is the first to rise. That is how it looks any way. tried to feed him a pea but he only ate a small amount.
G
Old 08-26-2010, 08:19 PM   #5 
vaygirl

That's his swim bladder. Is he bloated at all? Like he swallowed a marble?
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #6 
davyj0427

No the only place I see on him that is different is that area other then the way he is swimming and the bulge there is nothing wrong with him. By the way thanks for all the replies.
G
Old 08-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #7 
Romad
TFK Moderator

yeah, sounds like swim bladder disorder. has he been constipated lately? sometime if they get too backed up the pressure will push on their bladder.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #8 
davyj0427

I can't say for sure I haven't actually seen him poop and he was in a big tank with a gravel bottom so I can't see any of his waste. So what can I do for him, I will search out how to fix it but if anyone has had this problem before and could point me in the right direction, that would be great!
G
Old 08-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #9 
davyj0427

After a bit of research I am going to fast him for a few days. That seems to be the standard treatment and I'll go see if I can find some daphnia. I also read that the pea is not good for them now? I have not heard of this before now a few years ago that was the cure all. Thanks for your help I'll post in a few days to let you all know what happened.
G
Old 08-26-2010, 10:46 PM   #10 
vaygirl

Good luck to you and your boy!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote