Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #11 
Adastra

I have a few cycled three gallons that only need one 50% change a week due to the volume of plants I have. I have cycled a two gallon before, also, with extra gravel and plants. It's really much easier to deal with, all you need is a fistful of java moss to start, really, and then carry out the fishless cycle. By the time it's cycled, the java moss has taken over and you're good to go. I always recommend the fishless method since it is easiest, fastest, and takes the least amount of stress/effort. If you think about it, you only have to do the cycle once if you do it correctly, and from that point on you'll have so much more leeway and won't have to put so much effort into water changes every week. It's a good investment of your time, considering a betta can live for 3-7 years. You wouldn't want to be doing lots of 100% changes for 3-7 years, would you?

All my small tanks are the Marineland Eclipse line of tanks--I usually take out the biowheel and fill the wheel compartment with ceramic media and 50-micron filter pads. More space for bacteria to grow and it baffles the filter flow at the same time. Wheels are overrated.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:06 PM   #12 
Laurenie

Just keep in mind that as I said earlier in the thread, it can be difficult for tanks under 5 gallons to hold a steady cycle. If you decide to go that route I would have a good water test kit on hand and test very regularly to make sure everything is as it should be.
Laurenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:54 PM   #13 
lex412

Thanks for your help everyone! Yes, I do have a filter, but I think i'll just stick to the 100% changes 2x a week. It's kindof therapeutic to make my fish's home clean for him, and he doesn't really seem all that fazed when i move him around.
lex412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:34 AM   #14 
prettylittlefishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex412 View Post
Thanks for your help everyone! Yes, I do have a filter, but I think i'll just stick to the 100% changes 2x a week. It's kindof therapeutic to make my fish's home clean for him, and he doesn't really seem all that fazed when i move him around.
Ditto. I love seeing their homes clean.
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote