Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

This is one of my 2g tanks-it has guppy grass or called naja grass, hygrophlia corymbosa (looks like a sword in this pic), java moss in the back, rotala indica and water lettuce, unfiltered and with a heater, potting soil substrate and black sand cap, the little pebble you see are to hold down the plants when I first set it up. It has red cherry shrimp, newborn and now 3 week old longfinned pleco and Betta fry in it right now (all fish will all be moved in the next 3 weeks).

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 08-27-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #12 
weluvbettas

it looks brilliant what light do you use?
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

The light is one of the few aquarium bulb I buy....it is called a mini aquarium bulb 10w fluorescent full spectrum...have no idea what the kelvin is on it...but the plants grow great with it none the less....
Old 08-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #14 
weluvbettas

do your over tanks just grow on direct sunlight?
Old 08-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

I have one that is 80% sunlight in a east window 25g tank-I do supplement with some light and I have plant only half to one gallons 100% sunlight in an east window, but when I put Bettas in them, I move them and I use lights, with sunlight IMO/E is too unstable for fish especially Bettas-I would do them with guppies or endlers, but more because they can handle more extreme temp changes
Old 08-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #16 
weluvbettas

it was for my betta to go in so i will have to buy a lap for it are lights expensive?

how long do the plants take to grow if i started my tank this week would it be thriving by say christmas?
Old 08-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #17 
Oldfishlady

Stem plants should be actively growing within a week and you will need to do your first trim within 3-4 weeks......

Light cost vary...all depending on where you go, yard sale are great, thrift stores, pawn shops etc.....check craigslist..it doesn't have to be aquarium it can be a desk lamp...plants in the small tank are a bit more forgiving with lights

Also, If you have indirect light and a heater for the tank that should be fine for both the plants and Betta...it is direct sun that I would avoid with fish in small tanks.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #18 
anglnarnld

How do you post pictures???
anglnarnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #19 
weluvbettas

so i dont really need a light if its not in direct sunlight? sorry im asking all these questions .
i think im gonna have stem plants at back (amazon sword)
middle-dont know yet any ideas?
front marimo moss bolls
Old 08-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #20 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvbettas View Post
so i dont really need a light if its not in direct sunlight? sorry im asking all these questions .
i think im gonna have stem plants at back (amazon sword)
middle-dont know yet any ideas?
front marimo moss bolls
No, NEVER put the tank in direct sunlight. The temps will be too extreme. What I did is just get an old desk lamp, go to a regular store and buy a flourecent lightbulb that is 6500k. These are usually labelled as "daylight" or "sun" or whatever. Click here to see what I mean [link]. Then I just shine that light on my tank for maybe 8 hours a day. The bulb is 13w and my tank is only 1.5g so I move the light a bit further back for it to be not too bright.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote