Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

Exclamation HELP Ecosystem Jars For School

So in my environmental science class we will be setting up the "self sufficient" jars with live plants/ "critters." I assume this means a few snails and endless livebearers, but we will have more info. on monday. We did this in biology 2 years ago and none of the jars were successful. So all the fish died. I hate this project, but since it's required can you guys help me on making this the most tolerable possible to keep the animals alive? It's going to be set up all semester I hope this doesn't come off as "do my project for me", I don't mean it that way, I just want to save the fish if possible.... Thanks in advance.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #2 
JKfish

Lots of plants. Lots and lots and lots of plants is the best way to go. Stuff the tank! (not literally of course, but almost) It's better to have too many plants vs too many fish, because too many fish = too much ammonia. I'm sorry you have to do this, but it could be fun. My dad actually has a buisness that sells systems with the idea of the project you've gotta do ( http://www.earthsolutions.co/Aquapon...xes_c_303.html ) and when the fish don't die and the plants do well, it's really very fun.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #3 
JaspersANGEL

Oh wow! I never had to do stuff like that in school. Tho I went to a french catholique school so the way of teaching might be different, but when I took biologie once we had to disect the pig fetus..half the class was outside retching and being sick, it smelled so bad, our teacher was awesome she didn't make us do the dissection anymore.

Biologie is a good subject, but I don't understand y we have to disect animals to learn about things.

Sorry I can't help u, but I hope ur project will do good this time.
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #4 
Phoxly

I'd love to do this with a 2.5 gallon haha, but yeah, lots of plants! 80% should be plants I think... ask OFL hahah she's the best.
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #5 
dukie1346

I agree, plants would be very important. How big is this "jar"?
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #6 
puppyrjjkm

I would assume a pickle jar, so like 1 gallon sealed :0 I may ask if I could use the glass 2.5 gallon tank you can get at petsmart with the glass lid. I doubt it would be allowed though... Anyone know where to find a bigger "pickle or relish jar"?
Old 08-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #7 
Phoxly

Walmart, empty the pickels out, bleach it, sun dry it? (Keep the pickels in another container).
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #8 
JKfish

Oh, I dunno about your target, but my target is selling these 2 gallon plastic containers of cheese puffs. They're clear , 7" length, 7" width, 11" height, and they hold water and are light weight. They're actually pretty nice (I have one that's going to be a fish tank...), and if you want, I could make a post with pictures showing how after it was empty I cleaned it and removed the sticker's sticky residue and stuff...
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #9 
Williamg

I hated having to do that project in my middle school. We had to put guppies in there and by the time we were done most of them had died and I had a tank at home full of guppies. But to second what people have said, put as many plants in the tank as your teacher will let you, get the biggest container your teacher will let you have, then try and sneak in a bigger one . Also try and pick the smallest fish available. For tank ideas, critter keepers will work, and they have various sizes of acrylic boxes available at craft stores, so try looking there. I have found some gallon; gallon and a half sized ones. Also ask your teacher specific what the size of the container should be. You may be able to get away with an extremely tall container, as long as it does take up too much room horizontally.
Hope any of this ramble was helpful, and be sure to post up what your teacher says,
Williamg
Williamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #10 
puppyrjjkm

Thanks everyone, I will definetly post monday after school about the specifics then plan from there. thanks