Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2015, 12:29 AM   #1 
Rodder

Help with replacement filter

Hello everyone!

I've been using an aquaclear 20 with my 10 gallon tank for the last 8 month's with zero complaints until it refused to turn back on after tank maintenance 2 weeks ago. I took the impeller out and cleaned it thoroughly and still nothing. In the mean time I've been using the penguin 100b filter that originally came with the tank in order to keep the cycle. Not only is it loud but the lack of adjustable flow rate meant my betta was getting stressed by the high current. Unfortunately my betta passed away last week and after cleaning the tank I'm ready to start again and unsure what the best option is.

I know I could order parts for my aquaclear 20 but being in Canada after shipping and the exchange rate I doubt it'd be worth the cost. Petsmart has them on sale pretty frequently so I could either try to pick up another 20 or even 50 for the extra media space and just keep the flow down. At the same time I have a Fluval 206 that I picked up used awhile back when I was planning on upgrading to a 30 gallon tank. I know it also has a flow rate knob but I'm worried I'll be potentially causing the motor a lot of stress by leaving the flow at a minimum for an extended period of time. If anyone has experience with this line of canister filters feel free to chime in. Any and all advice is welcome!

Tanner
Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:10 AM   #2 
Mousie

If you're upgrading to a 30 gallon tank then you don't want to slow the flow rate of a filter at all. If you do you'll have dead spots in the water. You don't want any stagnant water in your tank. Unfortunately this is an issue when you begin dealing with larger tanks and betta because those larger tanks need that extra water movement. After having gone through too many filters for my 30 gallon tank, I ended up with an AquaTop CF400-UV Canister, and have never looked back.

For a 10 gallon tank I highly recommend the Rapids Mini Canister. It comes with this cool plastic piece that wraps around the canister allowing you to hang it from the back of the tank. I have several of these canisters and they're seriously awesome and very very quiet.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=16742

Looking at the photo you can see the ceramic rings on the right side of the canister. If you only add half of those, you can add a bag of Purigen on top of them, and on the left side you can add a drum shaped sponge (they generally come with a hole in the center, so it will slide over the tube.. you can't visually see it in the photo because of the charcoal bag in the way. Those soft charcoal bags that come with it are terrible).

You can use the same drum shaped sponge to slide over the spraybar, which will slow the flow rate and make it comfortable for a betta. What I've also done is ensure the spraybar is under the waters surface, and make sure the water holes are pointed straight up at the ceiling. This provides a lot of surface agitation for better oxygenation in the water column without blowing the fish all over the tank.

Here's a sponge pack, so you would have enough for inside the canister and for the spraybar.

http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Filter-Spo.../dp/B004K9A15G
Mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #3 
Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousie View Post
If you're upgrading to a 30 gallon tank then you don't want to slow the flow rate of a filter at all. If you do you'll have dead spots in the water. You don't want any stagnant water in your tank. Unfortunately this is an issue when you begin dealing with larger tanks and betta because those larger tanks need that extra water movement. After having gone through too many filters for my 30 gallon tank, I ended up with an AquaTop CF400-UV Canister, and have never looked back.

For a 10 gallon tank I highly recommend the Rapids Mini Canister. It comes with this cool plastic piece that wraps around the canister allowing you to hang it from the back of the tank. I have several of these canisters and they're seriously awesome and very very quiet.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=16742

Looking at the photo you can see the ceramic rings on the right side of the canister. If you only add half of those, you can add a bag of Purigen on top of them, and on the left side you can add a drum shaped sponge (they generally come with a hole in the center, so it will slide over the tube.. you can't visually see it in the photo because of the charcoal bag in the way. Those soft charcoal bags that come with it are terrible).

You can use the same drum shaped sponge to slide over the spraybar, which will slow the flow rate and make it comfortable for a betta. What I've also done is ensure the spraybar is under the waters surface, and make sure the water holes are pointed straight up at the ceiling. This provides a lot of surface agitation for better oxygenation in the water column without blowing the fish all over the tank.

Here's a sponge pack, so you would have enough for inside the canister and for the spraybar.

http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Filter-Spo.../dp/B004K9A15G
I'm sorry I should have explained things better. I purchased he fluval 206 when is as planning to upgrade to a 30 but never did and will be keeping the 10 gallon for the foreseeable future, so whatever filter I use will go on that. I was considering the mini rapids filter awhile back as well as the finnex 360 but being in canada after you factor in the shipping and exchange rate both filters were coming in at over $100 CAD. I was able to snag that 206 filter for $60 and it looks brand new.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #4 
Mousie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
I'm sorry I should have explained things better. I purchased he fluval 206 when is as planning to upgrade to a 30 but never did and will be keeping the 10 gallon for the foreseeable future, so whatever filter I use will go on that. I was considering the mini rapids filter awhile back as well as the finnex 360 but being in canada after you factor in the shipping and exchange rate both filters were coming in at over $100 CAD. I was able to snag that 206 filter for $60 and it looks brand new.
Oh!

Forgive me if I seem to still be a bit confused lol. You're keeping the 206 for a 30 gallon, yes? And you want recommendations for the 10? If you get the rapids mini canister on amazon.ca for 53.98, do they really charge that much for shipping? I wonder if you could talk one of your LFS into ordering it for you so you wouldn't have to pay shipping.

I have a finnex 360 as well, and I absolutely loved that thing in the beginning. The motor slowed down and barely put out any flow at all even though I took it apart and thoroughly cleaned it. The motor just isn't that great on those after a year or so (at least the one I bought wasn't).
Mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:54 AM   #5 
Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousie View Post
Oh!

Forgive me if I seem to still be a bit confused lol. You're keeping the 206 for a 30 gallon, yes? And you want recommendations for the 10? If you get the rapids mini canister on amazon.ca for 53.98, do they really charge that much for shipping? I wonder if you could talk one of your LFS into ordering it for you so you wouldn't have to pay shipping.

I have a finnex 360 as well, and I absolutely loved that thing in the beginning. The motor slowed down and barely put out any flow at all even though I took it apart and thoroughly cleaned it. The motor just isn't that great on those after a year or so (at least the one I bought wasn't).
I was originally planning on upgrading to a 30 gallon but decided against it so the 206 could go on my 10 gallon. Before I buy anything aquarium related I try to do extensive research on it and although it has been some time I seem to recall the reason I didn't end up buying the rapids mini canister because based on reviews the quality on them was very hit or miss. At the same time an adjustable flow rate imo is a must have.

I ended up jumping on a nice plakat male that showed up 2 days ago and set up the penguin filter for now. I'm still torn between waiting on a sale at petsmart and buying an aquaclear 50 or setting up the 206. I've scrubbed the 206 top to bottom and if kijiji is anything to go by I could make a quick $30 if I sold it so I may just end up doing that.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #6 
Tolak

AC's are famous for doing that. Plug it in, give the impeller a nudge with a long thin object such as a skewer, I usually use a pen. If you have long skinny fingers you could probably give it a nudge, mine are way too fat.

AC's have the strongest motor of any of the HOB's I've subjected to abuse, I'm pretty sure this attributes to the impeller getting hung magnetically in a dead spot, making it just sit there.
Tolak is offline   Reply With Quote