Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #1 
BettaBoy84

Talking The daily betta

Hey all around the world..

Wanted to create a daily spot for people to get informed with a one stop page. I will try and create a post each day with some new ideas, links and discussions about everything Betta! GET INVOLVED, ask questions and post!

ENJOY!

BIG BETTA

Have you seen the GIANT BETTA'S...I have been seeing the odd large betta in fish stores lately. I have been told that there are crtain breeds, some pure and some just large...
I have always seen the large males, but never the females. I wonder if there is a reason for this...rarity? spawning purposes? I wonder if the females would be more than males...

Let me know if you have seen or know yourself!

GOING GREEN
Does anyone ever consider switching from a gravel base to a sand cap base? Replacing Plastic plants with real ones!? I have been thinking about the benefits of having a planted tank, not only for aesthetic purposes, but for the well being of my Bettas!

IMO with live plants brings cleaner water and and more food for the fish. Also it is natural, so there is less chance of poisonous toxins or sharp edges to tear fins. But is the hassle worth it...or is there a hassle?

Recently whenever I make a 5 gallon tank to hold my male, or an injured female, I will first put soil in, then a sand cap, and if I have them, some stem plants or floating...why not?!?! I find by changing the water steadily and introducing a snail or two to turn the soil, I can retain clean water and by using planting pots with no holes in the bottom, there is only a top view, giving the betta more privacy and allowing for less cleaning of glass..

Next time you are starting a new tank, try thinking green...you may be supprized..

LINKS

If you havnt seen this yet!? CHECK IT OUT!

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47192

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=48457

My Links:
Wanted to share a bunch of posts that I am upto on other areas of bettafish.com

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=50272

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=50220

Daily PIC

A new bubble nest days before a hatch, with no father in sight...the father checks the surrounding area before quickly heading back!

Have a good night, or morning...

BETTA BOY
BettaBoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #2 
bloo97

I like this! It's like a betta blog!
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:26 PM   #3 
BettaBoy84

Talking The Daily Betta

Hey all around the world!!!

I im feeling like I live In California today......so hot, all day, awesome, I LOVED IT..
My betta starburst was on the balcony with temps at 100'f...its now the hot tub...Shes good now, brought her in and gave here some cooler air..

Hope everyone has had a great Saturday, and is enjoying their night, or now morning...I have posted some cool new links, re: betta conditioning and CONTINUING ED! As well as some progress on my Spawning Tanks....

BETTA BOY

INDOOR PLANTED SPAWNING TANK

I FOUND FRY!! And lots of them...
Yes my indoor planted tank has finally hatched the first set of fry...they are zippy and then still...the male is starting to go insane trying to contend with the escape artists and the free falling fry..He continues to pick them up and them replace them into the nest..

The amount of plants in the tank, and snails should provide a good start for food within the tank..But I will be monitoring their progress..The plants are at least keeping the visibility in the tank crystal clear...

Its amazing to see the little guys..I think i see a lot of them, as they are keeping the male busy..the snail has been kept away by the male as well...

BETTA LINKS

Today's link will be one and one only lol...
I found this a while back when researching Betta breeding..I do not agree with everything in the article but there are some very innovative and original ways of looking at the conditioning of Betta's...also, helpful in basic breeding techniques as well, just do not limit your self to this page, as it does not cover all of the necessary elements in a successful spawn..

With that said, enjoy the read, I sure did..

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Betta,%2...nditioning.htm

SNORKELLING IN CANADA

This week I will be conducting a snorkeling expedition for wood for my 75 gallon fresh water Betta sorority aquarium..I will be looking for a crazy piece of drift wood that has become waterlogged and bottom driven...
I will be taking my underwater camera and documenting the underwater findings, including plants, wood pieces, fish and other finds...

The underwater in Ontario provides great visibility in some areas, with sandy bottom, and rich in cultural history. i will be exploring an area with a rich history in logging. The bottom areas are covered in logged wood that has been preserved from the lakes depth and fresh cool waters.. I will post the video and stills, this week...Keep Reading..

Should be exciting, look forward to posting the results next few days.. I will be driving up tomorrow morning, and diving the following day, and will look forward to posting more on this topic..

PIC OF THE DAY

Another still of the bubble nest below the water..the fry are hatched and ready for a swim...
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #4 
Ajones108

I went to the pet store today and saw a girl looking at a gorgeous yellow halfmoon betta that I was also looking at, and when she told me the size she kept her current betta in I was kind of sad for the poor fish. But, she was willing to learn about proper betta care, and will probably be joining us on the forums soon! :)
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:58 PM   #5 
prettylittlefishy

I love this!!!!!! :D
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #6 
bloo97

Nice Job! Great Edition!
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #7 
BlueHaven

Good idea!
I love the going green.
I was thinking about using sand, but how could you keep it from ruining filters?
I heard of the sponge filter, but it's confusing. lol

Also, I am using a new water conditioner that seems to be working well (though i've only used it since yesterday!) for my betta. It is Nutrafin betta conditioner with (Indian?) almond leaf extract in it. You can find it at petsmart or online. It's good for their overall health, having the leaves in it and it removes the harmful things in the water too. I didn't want to order the leaves online so I bought this instead. So if you haven't heard of it, you should try it out. :)
I haven't ordered from this site, but it apparantely has good prices (including shipping) for live plants. They have all kinds of moss, marimo, and other plants along with fertilizers and they do have the indian almond (Catappa) leaves there too.
http://www.aqmagic.com/store/
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #8 
BettaBoy84

Talking Sunday, august 29, 2010

Thought I would start dating the posts...

So...SUNDAY, hopefully, everyone had a great weekend..safe..fun..betta than the last...lol..

Thai Bettas

The large scale breeding of the Betta genetic farm came to my attention today. The bettas are different and very attractive, but are there flaws in the mass scale breeding of these creatures?.. very interesting how the large scale farms in Thailand work..I sometimes disagree with the possible lack of care for these fish and possible overproduction for mass scale production...but..western civilization is truly to blame...
I found a crazy site from Thailand that looks like a natural betta farm ...very large scale, but very unique..I have posted the link in the LINK section of the post. I sells crown, HM and others...but the picture of the farm are truly amazing, so many concrete breeding basins and so many living areas! I cant imagine trying to keep tabs on the breeding with so many JARS!!!

Link posted blow......"BettaGenetic"..

I will make sure the Pic of the day reflects this!!

CONFINED!
"Im gonna get a betta, cause all i need is a jar and tap water"

Wow I am sick of that stereotype...Yes bettas can live in a small confined area with little light, no air circulation and not cared for daily....but so can humans...would we ever want this...NO...and im sure bettas would enjoy a better environment as well..

My brother asked me tonight if I would give him one of my Bettas, asking, "all I need is a small jar right?"

Well.....no...you can do the bare min, but why only do the bare min? There are many directions I can take this article..but I think the best is to just suggest...

If you are new to the betta life, read more articles on this site, many people can help to inform you of all things betta...Also, start off slow. try one male betta for a while then maybe upgrade the tank size before thinking about getting more..

The main thing to keep in mind when being a new betta owner is to remember that it is still a living thing, and hopefully you will realize, they are smart, interesting and very curious little guys. They will continue to surprise you!

So have fun, and yesm bettas are relatively easy to care for, if you are willing to put in the required time and effort!

LINKS

Great site..cant give my opinion on the purchases, as I have never used them. But very interesting, and very organized and much more natural and humane towards the breed! But crazy pics of a huge Thai farm and very interesting ways..

http://www.bettagenetic.com/servlet/StoreFrontFriend of Betta Fish Link;

Awesome site from a fellow bettafish.com over, check it out, join up and enjoy the great reads and threads available on the site!

http://www.bettafishcentral.proforums.org/

PIC OF THE DAY

A shot of a betta farm breeding set up...this is one of many tank areas of bettas in the same farm..check out the site to see the rest....

BETTA BOY
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2010, 08:38 PM   #9 
BettaBoy84

Talking New post, check it out

HEY ALL,

Hope you enjoyed todays post...in order to make this thread successfully I NEED YOUR HELP! I was hoping YOU could send this to some of your friends, family and fellow betta lovers....

By getting more people involved with the site it will grow in quality from other betta lovers and very informative post will be provided, and more people involved will also alo for more feedback and reply's!

Either way...win...win....

Thanks for your interest!! and keep reading!!

BETTA BOY
Old 08-29-2010, 08:44 PM   #10 
BettaBoy84

Thanks again

Easy Copy and Paste link to the thread for friends...

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=50301

Tags
betta, betta fish, betta information, fighting fish