Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2010, 08:55 AM   #1 
vilmarisv

IBC Free Starter Breeding Fish

I've been considering breeding and have slowly gotten myself ready for it getting the equipment and learning about it.
I want to get good quality fish to start off.
I was wondering how good the IBC starter pairs are and how your experience was with them.
I want to decide if I should get a pair somwhere else or go with the pair.
I plan to join the IBC in the future anyway.
Thanks!!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

I haven't joined yet but hopefully will with my next pay check and I'm considering doing the same thing, even though I do have some pairs it would be nice to get a free sib pair and have a breeder to sort of act as a "mentor". I'm still not sure if I'm going to do the new breeder program or not.

The only problem with the program is you cannot specify what you get... so you may end up breeding fish you don't like. So if you already know what you really want to breed (like right now I'm focusing mainly on Multicolors and a little on marbles) it may be a crapshoot... BUT if you are looking to gain experience and want to start with high quality stock then its a great resource.

I don't know if there is an IBC affiliated chapter near you but you might check that out as well because many times members of the group will be more than willing to give you a pair if they have any. Someone was nice enough to give me a yellow HMPK pair when I first joined my group.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:16 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

Yeah, that's why I've been hlding up on joining. I can get a lot of the resources online but still I would like that mentoring.
Anyway, I doubt there's anything near me since there's NOTHING here but I will check it out.
I think with me being a very peculiar person, I rather start off with a pair I really like. For some reason I favor the orange, white and yellow bettas. I do have a breeder pair I could start off with but I know they are not the best quality fish. Still gorgeous and spoiled rotten
!I might look around and see what I can find instead. I rather have the pick of the litter... I mean, spawn LOL!
I tried to purchase a gorgeous pair of orange marble that bettysplendens had but it was already sold and got my money refunded. Oh well!
I would love a pair from Victoria and I did send payment for another one of the fish she posted but I'm afraid I might have been too late as well.
I would love to experiment with blue/yellow marbles or orange dragons! Dunno, we'll see!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:39 PM   #4 
prettylittlefishy

For your first spawn, I'd take the IBC pair. Their always show quality and beautiful.
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:00 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

There's some really cheap pairs for like $5 a fish and if you buy two of the same fish from the same seller (aquabid) they're most likely siblings. I've been thinking about white HMs but I don't plan on joining the IBC until later on.

But for your first spawn it might be worth it to breed them or not. If you lose the spawn that would be terrible :( But either way good luck and if they're free get em ;)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote