Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #1 
JaspersANGEL

Help!! cure fungus or flex!

As the title say's, my baby Charlie has developed a case of fungus (fuzzy ball on his tail) and I think it's pretty much advanced, he's not looking so hot. Last night he was just floating in a corner staring at the wall, it might have started to grown internaly, what I red of flex or fungus is that it grows around the gill area.

And from my day's of being a co-op student at petsmart, I saw this alot, it usually killed the fish it claimed.

Help me save Char.
how do I cure flex!

Thanks
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #2 
Adastra

Can you describe it a little better? If it's just a little ball of fluff on the fins, it might just be saprolegnia, which is a common fungus that moves slowly and is very treatable. Please answer all of these questions: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

It will help us help you figure out what the problem is.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #3 
JaspersANGEL

Housing
What size is your tank: My tank is a 2.5g.
What temperature is your tank: 80 - 82F
Does your tank have a filter: yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration: no air stone just the feeding door (on hoods of tanks) always open
Is your tank heated: yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with: had a snail and after the snail hornwort and duck weed.
I removed the plants and cleaned the tank since then

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish: *lol* ur in for quite the list here, two types of betta pellets, used to fast on wenesdays not anymore, I'm trying to fatten him up, he's skinnier then a twig.
bloodworms
krill
brine shrimp
and betta flakes, wich he spits back out
How often do you feed your betta fish: once a day, used to be one pellet per day, but now it's two

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change: used to be once a week, but now it's twice a week with twice a week salt baths
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change: 50 - 25%
Additives used: none, now I added yesterday 10 drops of bettafix

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water: no, not recently, I only have an ammonia test tho

If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed: Paler, clamped fins, Developed small black frekles on his body

How has your betta fish's behavior changed: Oh he stopped flaring, when it was his favorite thing to do, he started doing mini flares but it has to be for a dawm good reason, his gill covers come out but his beard is stuck like. He lies around a bit a bit more

When did you start noticing the symptoms: since his body died, july something

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how: with salt baths and 10 drops of betta fix

Does your fish have any history of being ill: hes a back shelf petsmart betta, he's always been weird and skinny as hell

How old is your fish (approximately): I had him for 7 months now
Old 08-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #4 
Adastra

I assume the tank isn't cycled since you'd need a test kit to complete the cycle and determine when exactly it completed. Since it is not cycled, you must do regular 100% water changes in order to control the ammonia in the tank--for a 2.5G I would do a 100% change, (during the change, clean out the tank itself and everything in it with hot water), every 4-5 days. 100% changes are necessary because fish constantly excrete ammonia through their gills, and in a closed system without sufficient beneficial bacteria, the ammonia builds up.

If you do a 50% change one day, and then the next day do another 50% change, you inevitably have some of the old ammonia water left over, plus whatever ammonia the fish has contributed between changes. The only acceptable amount of ammonia is none at all, so if the tank is not cycled, you must do 100% changes.

As for the illness it could be a couple of things--possibly ammonia burns with a secondary infection of saprolegnia, possibly ammonia burns with a secondary infection of bacteria. You should google some images of saprolegnia and see if it's consistent with the tufts you're seeing.

As for treatment, I don't like bettafix because if your betta has anything serious, it won't help. It is not real medicine, it is simply an antiseptic. It's like putting peroxide on a cut. Clean water can do the same thing as bettafix, basically. If the fish has a systemic infection it will only make it worse by putting more strain on the fish's organs. There is also a study out that says that anabantoids like bettas can be harmed by the ingredient melaleuca because it is an irritant that can harm the labyrinth organ.

For now, I would continue with the salt baths and keep the water pristinely clean. If it is saprolegnia, the infection should retreat fairly quickly and shouldn't progress quickly. If it is bacteria, it will spread more quickly and the behavioral reaction should be significant--if he starts acting really sick and the fuzziness spreads, use a broad spectrum antibiotic, such as API's Triple Sulfa or a combination of Maracyn I and Maracyn II.

Last edited by Adastra; 08-28-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #5 
JaspersANGEL

how do u do 100% water change, do u have to lung the 2.5 tank to the kitchen and dump all the gravel out
Old 08-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #6 
Adastra

Yeah, I would get a container, such as a rubbermaid/sterilite storage bin (what I use since they're only a couple bucks a piece for 4 gallon containers), and pour most of the water into it so that it's not so difficult to move the tank to the kitchen. The fish can stay in the old water in the bin through the change, also. Then take the tank to the kitchen and run hot water in it so that it overflows--while it's overflowing, stir the gravel around vigorously, so that any debris flow out with the overflow. Then fill the tank up with new water that matches the old, add dechlorinator, and give it a good stir to help release the nitrogen gas. If the tank is too heavy to move when full, you can keep the fish in a cup, and empty the bin of old water and then use that to make two trips with new clean water. It's really not difficult once you get a routine going. You'll find your own way of doing it that works best for you.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #7 
JaspersANGEL

that sounds easy enough, thankx
Old 08-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #8 
JaspersANGEL

I just got home from work and put him in my hospital 1\2 g. , it will be easier to do his daily water changes. Hes in clean chlorinated water resting, I put a dark blanket over the bowl so that he can rest in peace.

If I can tonight or if im not working tomorrow or after work, I'll go get the medicine, I'm not here enough to give him daily salt baths, and he looks bad.

How much approx. does maracyn cost?
Old 08-30-2010, 09:41 PM   #9 
JaspersANGEL

It's sad to admit this but Char passed away sometime during last night.

I dunno if I should get a new guy, Im tired of them dying on me, I need some encouragement from u guys
right now I feel like I'm a horrible fish mom
two bettas that died a month apart, it's depressing...

All I know is that I have to disenfect Charlies tank and stuff, do u guys have any ideas how to do that?
Old 08-30-2010, 09:51 PM   #10 
Adastra

Simply cleaning it out in hot water should do. If you're really worried about nastiness in the gravel, you could wash it with hot water and then bake it in the oven for a half hour or so--but I don't think it's really necessary.

I think that you had a couple of things working against you, in this case. The first being that the fish wasn't in very good health when you obtained it--it was probably parasitized and had ammonia poisoning. The second thing was that you weren't sure how often you were supposed to be cleaning the tank, so while his new home was much better than the old, it wasn't really ideal for his recovery from a pre-existing condition.

I think that in order to set yourself up for success, you should invest in a filter, a master test kit, some live plants, and do a fishless cycle on the tank before you get another fish. This will really cut down on the maintenance and give you a much broader error margin in case you need to miss a water change due to unforeseen events.

Here is an article that explains cycling and what you will need to complete the process: http://www.aqadvisor.com/articles/Cycling.php

Sorry for your loss. Nobody's perfect, I have done plenty of things in regards to my bettas that I regret, but I have learned from each experience and now I have enough confidence in my experience to keep several tanks. I find it very rewarding, and I don't think you should give up on it due to this setback.