Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #1 
jenniedee

Betta behavior, and what color/type is Finnick?

OK... so now that I have Finnick, I want to make sure he's doing well, so I'd like to ask what kind of behavior indicates happy/healthy vs. stressed out!

In Finnick's case, he swims about quite a lot, and seems to like his filter - he sticks himself in the current and paddles. I don't think he dislikes it because he deliberately swims at it.

At night, he stayed fairly still near the bottom of the tank unless I walked over near him, when he would swim around again.

He flares at his reflection but not otherwise.

He's eating well; I have been doing one pellet five times daily (because I'm home and wanted to spread it out so he wouldn't get bloated) and he gobbles them up right away.

His eyes look clear, his gills don't seem swollen or anything (to me) and his fins are in good condition.

Now, to ME, he seems happy and not stressed, but what do you think?

Also, I wanted to see if anyone can tell me what type/color he might be, and how old you think he is? I got him at Petsmart and I think he is probably a veiltail. Here is a pic of him flaring at his reflection:

The spots you see are blue, not black, and I think they are a lace pattern gene rather than fin rot or anything. He has a bit more of a green cast than shows up in the photo.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure he is a happy, healthy fish!
jenniedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #2 
bettalover2033

For pet store bettas Its Impossible to tell their age. And his tail type is Veil Tail (VT) Red and steel blue VT with a little bit of Dalmatian in him:)

I Said dalmatian because of his dorsal fin having spots( i love that!!!)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Sounds and looks like a happy multi-colored veil-tail Betta splendens to me.....

Questions: Size of tank, how much and how often are the water changes, additives used, water temp?

Do I see live plants? if so, what kind are they and how many?

You have a very pretty Betta too by the way....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #4 
jenniedee

Size of tank: 2.5gal
Water changes: Well, he has only been in it about... 30 hours, but I plan 2x weekly 50% and one 100%. It is filtered.
Additives: API Betta Water Conditioner for now, am researching other possible needs. http://aquariumpharm.com/products/Pr...?ProductID=137
Temp: 79F +/- 2 degrees over the course of several days

Live plants: Yes! Here is a picture that shows them better:

They are...
Gold Ribbon - Dracaena variegatus
Umbrella Plant - Spathiphyllum wallisii
Argentine Sword - Echinodorus Argentinensis

I have to admit I need a better plan for the live plants as I'm sure they probably need um... nutrition. They were kind of spur of the moment so I'm trying to learn more about them now. Ahem.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #5 
bettalover2033

pretty betta what type of live plants?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I would remove these two plants
Spathiphyllum wallisii or peace lily and not a true aquatic plant that will rot and die
Dracaena variegatus-not a true aquatic and will rot and die

This is a good one but can out grow the tank-Echinodorus Argentinensis

Often some plants will be labeled and sold for aquariums and this is so wrong......

Since you have a filter and a live plant-I would not make 100% water changes, the twice weekly 50% should be fine, you don't want to disturb the sword plants roots and it should take care of some of the mulm in the substrate and use this for food too, otherwise, everything looks great and your plan is sound and good IMO/E...I would just remove those two plants to prevent any problems and take them back if you can.

For the sword plant nutrition-I would use a root tab but only if it looks like it needs anything, often the fish poop is enough...

IMO/E-the only additive you need is a good dechlorinator for chlorine and chloramines if on city water supply and if you have a heavy metal problem a dechlorinator that covers that as well..like Prime....

Your tank look nice too by the way....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:04 PM   #7 
jenniedee

Thanks OFL. Yeah, they were marked as aquarium plants at the store >.> This is why I shouldn't buy things without researching first! Maybe I'll just plant them in containers after I read up on their care.

The API Betta Water Conditioner is supposed to be a dechlorinator but I'm going to test the water anyway.

Thank you!
Old 08-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #8 
MKB88

Sorry, this is kind of unrelated, but I love his name! I'm actually considering it for mine: after Finnick Odair from The Hunger Games lol
MKB88 is offline   Reply With Quote