Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2010, 01:24 AM   #11 
ReyesBetta

Wow thats an awesome shelf both my tanks are on top of my dresser. Good thing I got a wall mounted tv for Xmas or I wouldn't have room!
ReyesBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #12 
1fish2fish

I finally found this thread... I've been looking for it for like 20 minutes LOL

Well.. after I started this thread life got busy and I never got the tanks fully cycled. I found that I couldn't get a decent water flow through 3 dividers.

Now I'm starting over with this plan and a new twist.

I only have 4 males left :( They are Tallahasee, Bowie, Bubba, and my new-found male Lt. Dan (formerly Jenny). I'm going to set up a 10 gallon divided AND PLANTED for them to retire in :)

The tank I was going to use cracked >.< and my other divided tank is currently being used as a hospital tank for 3 fish with a small case of velvet. So I went and bought a new tank.

For filters I bought 4 penn plax small world filters so each section will have it's own individual filter. I have a marineland stealth pro 50 watt heater that will go in the middle.

I'm going to divide it like the others, using my home-made dividers.

I still haven't decided on substrate yet. I don't want a black substrate nor do I want tan gravel. I really want sort of a dark brown so I'll have to see what I can find.

So far nothing is set up. I have the tank, hood (which has 2 10watt CFLs), heater, dividers, and filters. I just need to silicone the dividers in. I still need to get the plants and substrate.

For plants I'm sticking to all low-light. I want some marimo balls, java ferns, crypts, anubias, and saggiteria. I'm hoping to not have every section look the same... I want a different assortment of plants in each.

I'm planning on going and getting the substrate Wednesday. I'll probably glue the dividers in on Thursday night. That way they can be drying while I go home this weekend. Then on Monday or Tuesday I'll put the filters and substrate in and start cycling the tank fish less. I'll also put in my plant order over the weekend.

Once the plants are in as long as my levels are stable I'll start adding the boys. I'll probably add one a week to make sure it's not too much too fast. Hopefully by March they'll all be happy in their new bachelor pad.

Here's the breakdown of my costs thus far...
Heater- $27.81
10 gallon tank- $14.17
Silicone for the dividers plus caulk gun- $17.35

Filters- $21.95
Terra cotta pots to use as caves-$1.50 for 5 (YAY Thrift stores!!)

Total spent so far: $82.78

What do I have left to get? An air pump, air hose, gang valve(s), substrate, and plants. I'm hoping that one air pump rated for like 20 gallons will be strong enough to power all 4 filters, if not I'll get two pumps. All in all I have about $50-100 more left to spend.. depending on how crazy I go with the plants and substrate.

It should be a great project. I'll try to update here but if you don't see anything check my blog (link is the picture in my sig) because I'll be updating that regularly.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:32 PM   #13 
coolcucumber

Ah. dividers dont have good water flow. i have one in my split 5gal, and its terrible. im thinking of adding an airstone to one side, so my poor betta doesnt have to live with gross filmy stuff at the top of the tank.
coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #14 
1fish2fish

In my other divided tanks I didn't have an issue with the water flow through the dividers. In this case though I found the water flow wasn't fast enough to make it through two dividers so I would get a film on each end section but be fine in the middle.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #15 
1fish2fish

02/08/2011

Today I bought the substrate for the tank. Because I can no longer get eco-complete locally I went with CaribSea Flora Max. I like the look but I'm not sure how it stands up against EC or Flourite. Will be ordering plants soon, hopefully tomorrow or the next day.

The directions said that the substrate didn't need to be rinsed... boy where they wrong! Right now I have the sponge filter from my grow out tank in there because I forgot to pick up the air pump and air tubing today ::headdesk:: Once it clears I'll put the actual filters in there and get them running. I also still need to get the ammonia to do the fishless cycle.

Now for pics..
equipment..

Glued in the dividers last week

Before filling...

After filling..

As you can see I can't do any more work with it tonight. It's completely dark. I put the clearing agent that came with the substrate in but honestly I think the only thing that is going to clear this up is lots of water changes and aeration.

I'm going to paint the background black. I'm searching right now to see what type of paint is appropriate.

Here is a list of possible plants I'm considering. I won't be getting all of them
Java fern windelov x2
Anubias petite x1
cryptocoryne nevillii x1
marimo balls (cladophora aegagrophila) x2??
java fern x3
Echinodorus Parviflorus Tropica x2??
brazilian pennywort x1 bunch
wisteria
rotala rotundifolia
African Water Fern (Bolbitis heudelotii)
Bacopa australis
Old 02-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #16 
1fish2fish

Sorry for the double post but YAY!! I went to walmart and got an air pump for 30-60 gallons, air tubing, and two gang valves and now my filters are up and running.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #17 
1fish2fish

2/13/2011
So I haven't ordered my plants yet because it seems they're going to cost more than I had anticipated. My last order was a great deal because it was a black friday sale and I didn't take into account that prices wouldn't be the same as they were last time. I'll probably order them this week after I make sure all of my human expenses are covered.

I did however finally get my ammonia (yay dollar store!!) so I'm beginning the cycle tonight. I'm following the article stickied somewhere around this forum, adding initial ammonia until it reaches 5ppm and then going from there. Because I don't have my plants yet I'm going to borrow some plants from my other tank, java moss and another fast growing plant that I haven't identified (although I think it's naja grass). I also have a nice java fern already in there that I bought last week.

I bought a tiny bottle of conditioner to use in the tank since I only keep Seachem Prime in the house and that kills ammonia. I'm going to keep using it until I'm sure the cycle is stable.

Hopefully if I order my plants tomorrow or Tuesday they'll arrive the following week and my cycle will speed up. I have about 3 more weeks until I wanted to have the fish in the tank.

Here's an updated pick of the tank with the hood, java fern, and the little terra cotta pots. I got 6 of these for $1.50 at my local thrift store and they're the perfect size for a betta cave. (Holes have been glued and covered with substrate to discourage fishies from getting themselves in trouble).

Old 02-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #18 
bloo97

I love how each fish gets the same treatment. You do a good job!

How many gallons is that again?
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #19 
1fish2fish

This is just a 10 gallon. Preferably it would be a 20 long but I'm not allowed anything bigger than a 10 gallon in my dorm so for now they're stuck in this. Right now they're living in 2 gallon bare bottom tanks so they're used to 2 gallons of space which is basically what they'll have in this tank once the plants are added.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #20 
bloo97

Nice.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote