Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #21 
1fish2fish

03/03/11

Ok.. so I haven't updated in a while. My plants arrived a couple weeks ago and I was sent enough to not only plant my 10 gallon but also my 3 gallon! I also picked up some black acrylic paint and painted the back wall of all 3 of my planted tanks. I'm amazed with how much better my plants and fish look with the solid background.

My 10 gallon is still cycling so the fish haven't been added. I'm trying not to be impatient but it's really hard when you have such a pretty tank with no fish swimming it in. Here's a bad pic from the day I put the plants in, it's much clearer now.

In the tank I have bacopa australis, rotala rotundifolia "indica", brazilian pennywort, african water fern (bolbitis), java fern and java fern windelov ("lace java fern"), as well as an Echinodorus Parviflorus tropica sword. Each of the terra cotta pots now has christmas moss attached to it.

Here is the 3 gallon. It has some bacopa, rotala, java fern, lace java fern, anubias nana "petite", and also a tropica sword. Since this tank was already cycled I was able to put General Lee back in as soon as I was sure the cycle was safe.

Lee is REALLY enjoying his new tank. Constantly checking things out and exploring. Right now I have a "horned" nerite snail in with him but I plan to change him out for a zebra nerite eventually.

Once the 10 gallon is done cycling I'm beginning another 10 gallon just like it. Originally I had planned the female tank to just be 3 sections but since I already have another 4 way divided 10 gallon (currently holding male fry) I'm just going to leave it that way. I entertained the notion of trying my hand at a sorority again but I just don't think it'll work out in a 10 gallon, even if heavily planted.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #22 
vilmarisv

Those are beautiful tanks!!
I love the natural plants you added and the color of your substrate. I have such bad luck with plants that I no longer bother with them except in my spawning tanks.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #23 
1fish2fish

3-28-11

The tank is FINALLY cycled!!!!!!!!! Woot!!! Putting the males in tonight.

From right to left will be Lt Dan, Bubba, new DTHMPK boy, and Tallahaseee.

It still needs to grow in a little. My bacopa australis all but entirely melted as did the penny wort but hopefully with regular dosing of ferts it'll start to grow in better. Overall I'm very happy with how it turned out. I hope the kids like it.

Whole tank

Right side..

Left side..

Lee's Tank is doing amazing as well. The tropica sword already put out 2 plantlets (one of which is planted right beside it). Again the bacopa melted but there is one remaining stem so hopefully it'll come back. The rotala is doing great. I also added a crypt in the front right corner and moved the lace java fern to the back. Lee loves all his plants and doesn't seem to mind his nerite snail roommate.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #24 
Sweeda88

Very nice! I love it!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:23 PM   #25 
Waylander

I'm not sure if you've already stated where you purchased your plants, I'm running on about 3 hours of sleep here and I believe I read over your posts as best as I could Ha, But I do apologize if this is something you've already said. I guess I would just like to know where you found such good looking plants and what price? Thanks in advance! Bed time for my sleepy self!
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #26 
1fish2fish

I got these plants from www.plantedaquariumscentral.com.

The plants are beautiful but she is kind of pricey.. especially since she doesn't give you a choice on what kind of shipping you can do. Including shipping I paid about $50 give or take. But she did send me extra plants besides what I ordered so it kind of makes up for it.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #27 
Waylander

Thank you very much!
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #28 
1fish2fish

NEW PROJECT!! ... "The Sorority"

It will temporarily be a 10 gallon but this summer I'm moving off campus (FINALLY... cue hallelujah chorus!!) so once I'm in my new apartment I'll upgrade it to a 20 long.

My ADA Amazonia Aquasoil arrived today. I got it used from a member of my plant forum for $25. I got more than enough for a 10 gallon for that price plus it's used so it's chock full of beneficial bacteria.

The filter I'm using is my new favorite power filter, an Aquaclear 20. Great filter with lots of room for a nice biological filter (I don't use chemical filtration because I'm too lazy to replace carbon all the time). The heater is a 50 watt Marineland stealth which I'm going to hopefully change out for a hydor theo when I upgrade the tank.

I've already ordered my plants which should arrive tomorrow or Thursday. I'm getting..
Brazilian pennywort
rotala rotundifolia
dwarf sagittaria subluata (dwarf sag)
bolbitis (african water fern)
cryptocorne parva
Golden Lloydiella (Gold Creeping Jenny)
hygrophila difformis (water wisteria)
anubias nana 'petite'
bacopa australis

That should be plenty of plants to get me started. I also have a nice piece of driftwood that will be going in.

The hood is incandescent so I will be using two 13 watt CFL bulbs.

I'm setting the tank up this afternooon and beginning the cycle. I'll update with pics of the tank tonight.

This tank will hold 6 females with more likely to be added later on. I'll also be putting in some snails (probably 1 mystery snail and some olive nerites) and ghost shrimp, possibly some RCS if I can find a good deal.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #29 
vilmarisv

Bravo! You soon will be unleashed when it comes to bettas HAHA!
Sorority sounds great... can't wait to see pics. I really hope the bacteria gets settled quickly for you!
My females are too intimidating to go into a sorority... Karen keeps assuring me she's not breeding for giants... yeah, right!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #30 
1fish2fish

Haha... well since half the girls are from Karen they're all around the same size. The little girl from my spawn I'm keeping is the smallest but she can hold her own against the big girls (plus she's quick as lightning!). If the sorority doesn't work out the girls will just be stuck in their jars and this will be my new grow out tank/shrimp tank.

My stupid filter is making a crazy noise. It's brand new. I'm going to be really mad if I have to pay to send it to hagen to get fixed.