Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2015, 05:40 PM   #1 
yogosans14

Is it ever possible to have .25-1.0 ammonia in a cycled tank?

So I'm having more trouble with another tank I cycled using TSS. Anyways it's been a steady 0 ammonia 0 nitrites until today. Now it's giving me .50 ammonia reading 0 nitrite and .10 nitrate. I'm so frustrated i thought cycled tanks never have ammonia!
yogosans14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #2 
SplashyBetta

Cycle tanks can have ammonia if you're not doing enough water changes, there is dead plant/animal matter, etc. Cycling a tank is not a magic wand that makes the possibility of ammonia disappear.
SplashyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:59 PM   #3 
yogosans14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplashyBetta View Post
Cycle tanks can have ammonia if you're not doing enough water changes, there is dead plant/animal matter, etc. Cycling a tank is not a magic wand that makes the possibility of ammonia disappear.
Oh ok thanks!my mom has been recently over feeding my fish so this may be why. I thought ammonia is never present in a cycled tank.
yogosans14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:10 PM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

As SpashyBetta noted: Cycling doesn't end Ammonia. It will come back and spike under the conditions she listed especially if tanks aren't receiving weekly water changes and vacuuming.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:02 PM   #5 
Nismo83

By right it should b zero under normal condition but if u did a heavy feeding and check after a while there will be ammonia. BB does need time to work on ammonia.
Nismo83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:30 AM   #6 
Kisiel

I have a similar problem despite weekly water changes w/ gravel vacuuming It's not always, but sometimes I get .25 ammonia readings in what should be a cycled tank! Very frustrating.
Kisiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:43 AM   #7 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

The API tests read total Ammonia. I use Seachem Ammonia Alert which only reads the harmful NH3 or "free Ammonia." If the API test shows Ammonia but the Alert doesn't then I use the Seachem Ammonia test kit as a backup. It always shows "0".

One time I had a terrible Ammonia spike from some Anubias that had rotted. The leaves looked fine so it wasn't visually apparent there was a problem. What drew my attention (besides the smell) was the Ammonia Alert hit the "Alert" section.

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 05-21-2015 at 03:45 AM.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote