Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #1 
Ajones108

Cool Cycling my 2.5 fishless - Diary~

Day 1 - Aug 29 10:20pm

I got my 2.5 cleaned, new water, gravel, added the dechlorinater stuff (Amquel+ and NovAqua+) and set up my brand new Azoo filter (it looks so cuteee!)

I have Dr. Tim's One and Only Nitrifying Bacteria. I plan on using Ace's Janitorial Strength "pure" Ammonia which is 10% ammonia hydroxide solution. My little fish is safe in his other 2.5 tank waiting for me to get done with this crap cause he looks sad.

So, I just went into the room, and since you pretty much have to eyeball how much ammonia you think goes in the tank, I put in 1ml of ammonia into my 2.5 gallon tank. The ammonia reading? 8.0+ppm. FML! So now that I know this ammonia is stronger than I thought, I am now taking out some of the tank water, and adding in new water, and seeing if I can get this ammonia back down to between 2.0-5.0ppm before adding in the bacteria. I'll let you all know how the readings go after I change out some water! :)
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:49 PM   #2 
Ajones108

Day 1 - Aug 29 10:50pm

So, I changed about half of the water, added a drop of AmQuel+ to it, and poured that water into the tank. Survey says? The water was still about 8.0ppm. So, I changed MORE water, and upon reading the bottle of AmQuel+, it stated that a 5ml dose will remove about 1.7ppm of ammonia. So I changed out about 75% of the water, added the dosage of AmQuel+ (which is normally WAY too big of a dosage for this tank) and let it cycle a moment. Upon testing the water again, I got a 1.0ppm ammonia reading. Too low. So, I went back into the room, and I added only one DROP of ammonia into the tank, and after a couple minutes of the test sitting, I'm not getting between 4.0-5.0ppm reading of ammonia. Close enough. Now, I am going to add the bacteria. Dr. Tim's says on the bottle that the minimum dose is 2 cap fulls per 10gal, and that overdosing is not possible on bacteria. I get from this that no matter what the size tank, 2 caps is minimum. Since my tank is so much smaller, I'm going for one cap full.

Tomorrow night I will post with ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings. Stay tuned! :)

10:54pm - Added 5ml of Dr. Tim's to the tank.

Last edited by Ajones108; 08-29-2010 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Added a number
Old 08-29-2010, 10:58 PM   #3 
prettylittlefishy

Nice!! Keep us updated Ajones!
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #4 
Ajones108

Day 2 - Aug 30 12:25pm

pH reading: 7.6+ (When I test it later I'll use the high range pH formula since the water is so high...)

Ammonia: 2.0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm (When I did this test my API vial, for some reason, would not seal all the way, and too much water leaked out of the lid. Retesting it later on tonight.)

At this point, I wonder if the amount of conditioner in my water killed off any Nitrate or Nitrite that could be present. Going to measure everything later on tonight and if need be, add two drops of ammonia. Comments anyone? I'm going to the pet store later to get a couple plants, do you think that adding these to my tank will offset the cycle? And should I wait until after the cycle to add them?
Old 08-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #5 
jenniedee

Ooh, interesting! Keep us updated :D
jenniedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:31 PM   #6 
Ajones108

Day 2 - Aug 30 10:26pm

Ammonia - 1.0-2.0ppm
pH - 8.3
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm

The ammonia seems to have dropped slightly. Still not much else going on right now, tank is not cloudy, crystal clear, filter media has a little bit of brown on it, not much. I'm debating on adding a drop of ammonia to the tank since it's below 2.0ppm but I'm not incredibly sure since there isn't a basic set of directions on how to do this. Tomorrow morning I am going to test again, and if its about 1.0 or below I'm going to add a drop. Any comments anyone? Also, I bought an amazon sword earlier and currently I'm nursing my java fern back to life. When do you think will be a good time to add these into my tank?
Old 08-31-2010, 11:48 AM   #7 
vaygirl

You can put the plants in while doing the cycling. They'll be fine and dandy. Whenever you're ready, they are.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:20 PM   #8 
Ajones108

Day 3 - Aug 31 7:20pm

Ammonia - .5-1.0ppm
pH - 8.2
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - Above 0ppm, no more than 1.0ppm

Some nitrate is trying to poke its head in but not much. No signs of nitrites still though. :S I just added in 1 drop of ammonia and tested my water again, and viewed under a white light, I'm not seeing any colour change in the vials... I'm going to add another drop and re-test in a moment, and re-post with the ammonia pram. Stay tuned. If I'm not able to get this tank cycled in two weeks I'll be upgrading to a 5.5, if my filter can handle it. I just got a couple bucks from dad today. Whoot!

Stay tuned for that second ammonia pram reading.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:34 PM   #9 
Ajones108

Day 3 - Aug 31 7:32pm

Added another drop of ammonia.

Ammonia reading: 2.0-4.0ppm

Hoping to see a bit more nitrites/nitrates tomorrow. I'm probably going to wait to add my amazon swords and java fern until the tank is 100% cycled because if I put them in the water now I don't want them playing with my nitrate reading. ;-; If anyone has any comments, suggestions, or concerns, please say. It's lonely in this little thread. While I'm waiting for this other water to get on the road I'm going to do a 100% wc on this other tank, poor fish probably feels neglected watching me test this OTHER water. :)
Old 09-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #10 
Ajones108

Day 4 - Sept 1 9:05pm

Ammonia - 2.0-4.0ppm
pH - 8.2
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - Above 0ppm, no more than 1.0ppm

This is my grumble face: :S I'm going to dump another 5ml of bacteria into the tank. I'm upgrading to a 5 gallon tank most likely next week but... I'm determined to get this thing to cycle. It seems like there aren't enough bacteria to do the job.

... Fish is attacking the base of his amazon sword.. o_o It's just floating in the water right now so he keeps prodding at it.

Awesome 5-gal tank I'm getting!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...e256394-rLink3