Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #1 
betta99

Arrow Snail Infestation in Tank?

Today I looked into my topical 14 gallon tank and found a little snail crawling on the glass. It's a little smaller than a cheerio. The tank isn't really dirty at all, but is there an infestation? I don't mind one little snail, but I don't want any more. Should I clean it out?

And I also want to know how the heck that little guy got in there.
betta99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #2 
BettaBoy84

Talking Free snail!!

Thats cool betta 99...Snails can be a big help to your tank, depending on your set up and type of snail...I'm gonna guess you have a live planted tank? Or at least maybe some floating plants??

If this is true, the little guy could have been attached to one of the plants you put in, in the roots, under the leaf, etc..

Let me know of your tank size, and bottom type (gravel, sand, soil?) also what you have in there...

A picture or description could help distinguish if the snail will also help or hinder your tank. Some snails (trumpet, mystery) can clean your tank for you converting bad stuff to good! Also if your tank has soil, the trumpet snails help to mix up the soil a bit (from OFL)...

Try and get a pic of the snail up, and we can help you out a bit more!!

BETTA BOY
BettaBoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #3 
betta99

okay, thanks! i'll post a picture as soon as i find my camera. and i do have a live plant, it's a large moss growth that's all over this coconut cave. he was probably somewhere in there as an egg, or as a really young snail. the tank's 14 gallons, about 1 foot 8 inches long, 1 foot 4 inches high, and 10 inches wide. For subtrate i have blue gravel. i'll post a pic of the tank too.

Last edited by betta99; 08-27-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:37 PM   #4 
betta99

sorry i haven't posted a picture yet, still can't find my camera. it's doing good, and there's another one! i think it's a mystery snail.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #5 
BettaBoy84

Talking

NP, let me know, I have a bunch of mystery snails...they are actually able to mate and produce a egg nest somewhere in the tank, so look out for that..

But they have been great in my planted tank!

BETTA BOY
BettaBoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I agree, snails can be a good thing in your tank and part of the little ecosystem, however, they can get out of control and be a mess...lol

They most likely came in on the plants

Usually causes of over population is from overfeeding and left over food in the tank and not enough water changes with vacuuming

You don't want a massive die off of snail in the tank by using chemicals or trying to starve them out due to causing water quality issues from ammonia spikes from the decaying bodies

The best way I like to use in control- is to trap them by using a small clean either glass or plastic container with bait, algae wafer work well or a piece of lettuce or any green veggie will work
I place the small container with the bait in the tank at light out and remove in the AM with light on..usually full of snail, and repeat as needed

Proper disposal of the snail is required-either by placing them between newpaper and smashing them and throwing them in the trash or you can smash remove the meat and feed to the fish in small amounts

Never release or flush....due to environmental issues....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #7 
prettylittlefishy

I like to take snails from tanks that have wayyyy to many and dehydrate them. Make a great snack for bettas! Just gotta break it up lol.
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote