Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2010, 12:20 AM   #1 
bettalover2033

Unhappy What wrong with Koda?? Its really confusing!!

Hello everyone, well i just got back from Philadelphia and all i did was leave for two days. Well i came back and fed my babies (including my bigest baby, Leroy my oscar) and they looked fine.

My new female (Koda) looks healthy, but she is acting so weird. It just she never acts like this she has a big belly and i think its just from being full of eggs. Also i know its not overfeeding because i usually feed her two a day but i havent fed her in two days so i fed her three when i came it.

She has stress stripes but they are faintly there. she looks normal but one really bad thing,

She has her fins EXTREMELY clamped and she isnt letting go at all. when i left she was right in the middle of two males so maybe her full belly is of eggs?

What can i do about Clamped Fins? she is just sitting at the top of the water like she is sleeping but i know shes not also she ISN'T SWIMMING ON HER SIDE she just looks like something just below the surface of the water. also she looks healthy besides the clamped fins and loss of color and faint stress stripes.

When i fed her two pellets she waited until they were soaked and she never does that, she didnt eat ANY of them and thats not like her she usually gobbles them up soon as she gets to see them. So she has no appetite, and a full belly (could possibly be full of eggs but i dont think so that much). i do think she is full of eggs because no one has fed her in two days so she cant be bloated at all.

Im worried Please help me help her!!!!!!!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:29 AM   #2 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
Hello everyone, well i just got back from Philadelphia and all i did was leave for two days. Well i came back and fed my babies (including my bigest baby, Leroy my oscar) and they looked fine.

My new female (Koda) looks healthy, but she is acting so weird. It just she never acts like this she has a big belly and i think its just from being full of eggs. Also i know its not overfeeding because i usually feed her two a day but i havent fed her in two days so i fed her three when i came it.

She has stress stripes but they are faintly there. she looks normal but one really bad thing,

She has her fins EXTREMELY clamped and she isnt letting go at all. when i left she was right in the middle of two males so maybe her full belly is of eggs?

What can i do about Clamped Fins? she is just sitting at the top of the water like she is sleeping but i know shes not also she ISN'T SWIMMING ON HER SIDE she just looks like something just below the surface of the water. also she looks healthy besides the clamped fins and loss of color and faint stress stripes.

When i fed her two pellets she waited until they were soaked and she never does that, she didnt eat ANY of them and thats not like her she usually gobbles them up soon as she gets to see them. So she has no appetite, and a full belly (could possibly be full of eggs but i dont think so that much). i do think she is full of eggs because no one has fed her in two days so she cant be bloated at all.

Im worried Please help me help her!!!!!!!

You should ALWAYS soak any dry pellets in a cup of tank water before feeding.

It helps to prevent constipation as when their dry ,they swell up in your fishes stomach
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I would QT her and start making 100% daily water changes

I would start making 50% daily water changes on the 10g tank too

Do her scales look to be sticking out, sometimes you can see this better if you view her from above

How are the other fish looking and acting?

How much and when was the last water change on the 10g?
What is the water temp?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #4 
Adastra

Try answering all these questions: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

It will help us help you faster.

Loss of appetite with bloating can be a sign of internal parasites--have you seen her poop recently?
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #5 
bettalover2033

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I would QT her and start making 100% daily water changes

I would start making 50% daily water changes on the 10g tank too

Do her scales look to be sticking out, sometimes you can see this better if you view her from above

How are the other fish looking and acting?

How much and when was the last water change on the 10g?
What is the water temp?
i didnt have her in a ten gallon tank, i had her in a 2.5 gallon tank and i just put her in a smaller QT vase, also her scales look perfectly fine, that was the first think i looked for, was pine coning, she is in a vase and im going to start giving her 100% water changes as you recommended, there was no other fish that were with her in her 2.5 gallon the water temp is now 72*F.

do you know whats going on?
Old 08-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #6 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
Try answering all these questions: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

It will help us help you faster.

Loss of appetite with bloating can be a sign of internal parasites--have you seen her poop recently?
No not really she has a little thing of poop on the bottom of her vase. she has strongly clamped fins and she is taking breaths normally.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #7 
Adastra

A heater will be very helpful in any case--it's possible she's just constipated. Cold temperatures can make it very difficult for cold blooded animals to digest food and pass waste. Definitely work on getting her a heater.

Does anything about the poop look strange? If it's white or stringier than normal it may be a sign of intestinal parasites.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Sorry, I don't know how I came up with her being in a divided 10g with two males...lol....I sure went off base...laffs....

Moving on....
I agree, the water temp is a bit low, however, if she has been kept in that water temp for awhile-IMO/E that may or may not be the problem, if this is a sudden drop or a change from being kept at a higher temp-then it can be part of the problem, and if she is used to a 72F and you suddenly raise it to say 80F- that in of itself can cause a problem-so be careful with raising the temp too fast especially with an already compromised fish.

It is hard to say why she has clamped fins-it could be from low temp, external or internal parasites, poor water quality, constipation, egg bound or a mix of everything......one starts and a secondary happens...really hard to say.....

I would do the QT and 100% daily water changes for a few days and see if she perks up or if symptoms change, I would slowly get the water temp up to 76F and see how she act. I would also hold food for now....
Keep us updated of any changes good or bad......
How old is she by the way....
Old 08-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #9 
bettalover2033

I know that changing the water temp too fast can lead to shock. She is a pet store betta so there is no telling, but she is tiny so she looks a little young. Why do you need to know age? will it help? Well i did leave for two days and she has some dirty water so im getting ready to do a water change, with her, she is just sitting at the top of the water and she has stress stripes and her spine it out of the water, just a little bit, Her spine is just Faintly touching the surface of the water.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

It is not just temp shock- too fast of a water temp change especially in dirty water can cause bacteria and pathogens that are always in the tank like flexobacter to affect the fish that is already compromised and stressed

Yes, age matters-really young and really old- relates to-antibodies, resistants, diet, water quality are all factors in overall health and well being

Is this a fairly new fish?