Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2010, 07:20 AM   #1 
sniper8752

particles floating around in tank

i have a lot of particles floating around in my tank. i think it may be good bacteria. when i started up my tank, i put in good bacteria. i can see it building up on my plants now. i changed the flow of the filter from low to high to get rid of them. any ideas as to what it is, is it good or bad, and recommendations? could my filter just need cleaning out?

thanks.
sniper8752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:12 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What size is the tank, any fish in it? live plants, if so how many and what kind, how long has it been set up, what kind of filter media are you using and what do the particles look like...can you post a pic?
Do you have water pram numbers to post for: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #3 
sniper8752

10 gallon tank with a betta fish in it... have had it for a month now or a lil longer... 1 live plant, 2 decorations, aquaclear filter.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

How much and how often are the water changes and substrate vacuuming, are you removing the uneaten food if any?

Do you know what kind of live plant you have
Old 08-30-2010, 09:34 AM   #5 
sniper8752

i do it every week, and yes, i do. he always eats the food though.

here is an image of the bb buildup
Attached Images

Last edited by sniper8752; 08-30-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

How much water to you change weekly and do you know what kind of live plant you have?

What do you mean by "bb" build up and is that a pic of a decoration in the tank?

I can't help if you don't answer my questions?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #7 
sniper8752

not sure what type of plant... there is the plant in the attached image.

bb bulidup stand for beneficial bacteria, whici is what i think it is.

i change around 1/3-1/2.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

You usually can't see the beneficial bacteria with the naked eye, it may be diatoms (brown in color) and will resolve on their own as the tank matures, wipe them off and vacuum them with a water change.

I can't tell by the pic what the plant is

The best treatment IMO/E is increased water changes-I would increase the water changes to 50% daily for 2-3 days and then every 3rd day until the tank is fully cycled

The nitrifying bacteria are sticking and adhere to every thing in the tank-like the walls, decorations, both real and fake plants, in the top layer of the substrate and in the filter media...very little are in the water column itself so water changes will not hurt the nitrogen cycle process, however, over cleaning and vacuuming can

I would only vacuum the substrate one time a week in all places that you can reach without moving anything or disruption of plant roots.

The filter media needs a rinse/swish in old tank water with a water change 1-2 times a month and when the water flow slows to get the big pieces of gunk off to maintain a good water flow for the nitrifying bacteria, you want the filter media to look dirty but still have good water flow

Do you have water pram numbers? these will tell you if you are cycled or not
Old 08-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #9 
Laurenie

The beneficial bacteria you get in a cycled tank is not really something you would see floating in the water. The plant looks like anacharis and on the picture of the decoration all I can see is what looks like algae? You really need to test your water params to see what the levels are to know if you should be doing more/bigger water changes.
Laurenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:00 AM   #10 
sniper8752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
You usually can't see the beneficial bacteria with the naked eye, it may be diatoms (brown in color) and will resolve on their own as the tank matures, wipe them off and vacuum them with a water change.

I can't tell by the pic what the plant is

The best treatment IMO/E is increased water changes-I would increase the water changes to 50% daily for 2-3 days and then every 3rd day until the tank is fully cycled

The nitrifying bacteria are sticking and adhere to every thing in the tank-like the walls, decorations, both real and fake plants, in the top layer of the substrate and in the filter media...very little are in the water column itself so water changes will not hurt the nitrogen cycle process, however, over cleaning and vacuuming can

I would only vacuum the substrate one time a week in all places that you can reach without moving anything or disruption of plant roots.

The filter media needs a rinse/swish in old tank water with a water change 1-2 times a month and when the water flow slows to get the big pieces of gunk off to maintain a good water flow for the nitrifying bacteria, you want the filter media to look dirty but still have good water flow

Do you have water pram numbers? these will tell you if you are cycled or not
hm, how do i know if my plants are dead? :p i don't see any roots, because whenever i would clean out my tank with the vac, i would always pull those out to hit everywhere. so i should keep them where they are when i do clean out my tanks now?