Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2010, 08:25 AM   #1 
sniper8752

filter outflow

i have an aquaclear filter for my 10 gallon tank, for up to 20 gallons, and i have it on high output for the flow. i was wondering if this would bother my betta. i had it on low before, but am not sure where it would be most beneficial for him. it seems like whenever he goes through the center of the tank, he has to depseratley fight against the water coming in. where should i keep it at?

thanks.
sniper8752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:59 PM   #2 
Ajones108

You could get something like this that slows down the intake and would inevitable slow down the outflow:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3650250

Or... you could do the sponge trick and attach a clean sponge to the outflow... But I can't find that picture, I think Lion Mom knows where it is. >.>
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #3 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajones108 View Post
You could get something like this that slows down the intake and would inevitable slow down the outflow:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3650250

Or... you could do the sponge trick and attach a clean sponge to the outflow... But I can't find that picture, I think Lion Mom knows where it is. >.>
Of COURSE I know where it is - it's my picture!

Here ya go!
Attached Images

Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #4 
sniper8752

hm, great idea!!!! thanks! hahaha we have the same size and shape tank i think... :p

are there any draw-backs to using the sponge though? i would think that there would be...
Old 08-30-2010, 08:47 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper8752 View Post
hm, great idea!!!! thanks! hahaha we have the same size and shape tank i think... :p

are there any draw-backs to using the sponge though? i would think that there would be...
None at all, IMO. Matter of fact, I think this method of baffling is WAY better than the plastic bottle method. With this method you can adjust the flow - pull the sponge up for more flow or down for less - there is no danger of the fish swimming into it and getting stuck (that happened to one of the posters here & she lost her fish) and it is one more place for the good bacteria to grow.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #6 
sniper8752

by the way, nice plants! what kind you have? they look like roots at the bottom of the tank.... lol
Old 08-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #7 
Lion Mom

That is java moss growing on a piece of driftwood & Bacopa Australis. I have the Bacopa floating now - just like it better that way. :)
Old 08-31-2010, 08:58 AM   #8 
sniper8752

hm, are these hard to maintain? seems like they are native. and where did you get the sponge? would you recommend a certain one, or can i just get any sponge?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:28 AM   #9 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper8752 View Post
hm, are these hard to maintain? seems like they are native. and where did you get the sponge? would you recommend a certain one, or can i just get any sponge?
No - not hard to maintain at all! Just give it a good rinse once in a while in used tank water just like your filter media.

It is an AquaClear sponge/foam insert. Any other brand of aquarium foam (like Imagine) can be used.

They are available at almost any pet store that carries fish supplies or on-line pet store.

For example:

https://www.petsolutions.com/Default...temID=15511390

or

https://www.petsolutions.com/Default...temID=79271390
Old 08-31-2010, 12:19 PM   #10 
sniper8752

i just got a aquaclear filter insert - foam. here is a pic of it. will this work, and is it fine?
Attached Images