Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2010, 02:38 AM   #1 
purplemuffin

Things are lookin' good!!

I am very excited. I've gotten a ton of great opportunities this summer to get my name out there, and through it I have gotten a TON of art commissions from people! :) I'm working on a project with one girl, doing 6 characters for 20 dollars each... I think a lot of that money will go straight into getting my future betta!

Plus, the pet store near us has such a good deal on crickets going right now, we're actually saving money by not buying them online(reptile/amphibian owners out there should know what I'm talking about!) In fact, we're actually in the process of setting up a SMALL cricket colony. Yuck. I don't like the stinky things, but they are good for my geckos and my pacman frog, so until I can afford to start a dubia colony... this will have to do! I'm not planning on letting it get out of control, we only have 3 geckos and one frog! I don't need a million of the bugs! BUT it will be nice to save money on animal food every week! So, hip hip hooray!

Also, my boyfriend starts his first day of college in the morning..woohoo!! :) Wishing him goodluck! I don't go back to college until september, so I get to stay here for a little bit longer!

Update on baby Koi as well: We have both koi and goldfish in the pond, and it is interesting to see how different they behave. Koi seem to swim much faster than the goldfish, or maybe they are more scared. Got a goldfish to nibble on food from my hand! He was the tiniest one too, only 3 and a half inches long at most!

I try so hard to get pictures, but they are tricky!
I got one..SORT OF haha, the fish all swam away when I pulled my phone out!

It's a pretty big pond, and I'm trying to convince mom to get some floating plants so that the fish will feel more secure.. She thinks that will make them more 'invisible'(She walks up to the pond too fast, they hide in the rocks and plants and she never sees them) but I am trying to show how it will help them feel calmer so they will go out more often instead of sitting around hiding all day!

The poor fish look so tiny! They are small, but not like feeder fish small. Most of them are a pretty decent size for young fish, and they are all a decent weight(though some days they are more bloated than others, no one asks if anyone else fed the fish so they sometimes get extra meals)

Also, my little ball python girl got to go outside for the first time today!

That's Nathan's hand next to her. She was 23 inches long when we purchased her, now she has grown to 34 inches!! Our big happy girl!! :)

And I'll end this little post with our mama kitty and her babies, all of whom are recovering from the cat flu!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:07 AM   #2 
bloo97

So Cute! Love animals....LOVE ANIMALS!
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #3 
nochoramet

I LOVE your python!! I used to have a ball python, his name was Ivan :) My parents got divorced and I wasn't allowed to keep him at Moms house and Dad fed him live mice and one of the mice attacked him and he died :( But I will own one again when I have a place of my own. Adorable kitties too! I'm very happy all is going good for you!
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:54 PM   #4 
purplemuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochoramet View Post
Dad fed him live mice and one of the mice attacked him and he died :(
NOO!!! MAN that is the worst.. I hate that kind of stuff! People don't realize the importance of feeding frozen/thawed meals to snakes...Mice and RATS have teeth, and they can very easily kill your snake! We're trying to switch our Maru over to eating f/t... She was wild caught, so it's a difficult battle!!

Thanks for looking at my post! I'm super excited. All the animals are getting healthier and happier and I can say goodbye to the recent 'pet apocalypse' (cats with flu, leopard gecko prolapse, dog had heart worms..all happened in the same week!)
Old 08-30-2010, 11:59 PM   #5 
CodeRed

VERY pretty ball <3 I just LOVE those pictures where they're "periscoping"... It makes me wonder how they do it :PP
And yeah, the info about f/t should be shared more at pet stores... a lot of people buy snakes thinking they only eat live. It's actually cheaper to feed f/t, including it'll keep your snake from getting parasites or injured. It's a shame. ):
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:23 AM   #6 
nochoramet

Yeah... oh well. He didn't know, I didn't know... my days of a not-so-responsible pet owner. However, you learn and grow and thankfully now I know so when I get another one, I can properly take care of him/her!

That apocalypse sounds like it was horrible! I'm so glad everything is working out for you now!
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:27 AM   #7 
ReyesBetta

Another snake owner! :)

I just got my garter from Petco switched to pinkies.. poor things are force fed crickets at Petco so I hear. The lady tried to tell me that he eats mealworms and crickets.. false.. simply not insectivores!!

Had to scent up a pinkie with a goldfish to get him to eat it.

Thats a pretty ball. :) I want one from a guy named Ralph Davis.
ReyesBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:27 AM   #8 
purplemuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyesBetta View Post
Another snake owner! :)

I just got my garter from Petco switched to pinkies.. poor things are force fed crickets at Petco so I hear. The lady tried to tell me that he eats mealworms and crickets.. false.. simply not insectivores!!

Had to scent up a pinkie with a goldfish to get him to eat it.

Thats a pretty ball. :) I want one from a guy named Ralph Davis.

Sad he was force fed crickets! I know when they are young they eat earthworms, but at least you are caring for him now! There are actually some insectivore snakes out there, I'm sort of interested in one right now.. :>
Old 08-31-2010, 03:53 AM   #9 
ReyesBetta

Brown snakes are one, tiny things though, find them in the backyard under logs ALLLLLLL the time.

He's on pinkies now, did eat earthworms supplemented for awhile.
ReyesBetta is offline   Reply With Quote