Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #1 
SwimyRainbowFinn

Swimy's tail split.

Hello :)
I've had my betta "Swimy" in the hospital tank for about 2 weeks, the reason being is that i noticed his tail fin was ragged like he had bit it off or it had gotten caught in the filter.

The first week of treatment all i had at the time was aquarium salt so i added small amounts of it and changed the water untill i could get proper medication, he has been treated with Melafix for the last week, his tail fin grew back a little and looked better and it didnt have a white edge to it anymore, it was his natural color.

I was planning to introduce him back into his home when i noticed a little split in between the rays, i dont know what this could have come from because the only thing in the tank he could have caught his tail on is the light sprinkling of ammonia absorbing gravel on the bottom.

Should i continue to treat him with the Melafix? or should i give him a little break with just salt and frequent water changes?

Thanks for any advice :)
SwimyRainbowFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:39 PM   #2 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimyRainbowFinn View Post
Hello :)
I've had my betta "Swimy" in the hospital tank for about 2 weeks, the reason being is that i noticed his tail fin was ragged like he had bit it off or it had gotten caught in the filter.

The first week of treatment all i had at the time was aquarium salt so i added small amounts of it and changed the water untill i could get proper medication, he has been treated with Melafix for the last week, his tail fin grew back a little and looked better and it didnt have a white edge to it anymore, it was his natural color.

I was planning to introduce him back into his home when i noticed a little split in between the rays, i dont know what this could have come from because the only thing in the tank he could have caught his tail on is the light sprinkling of ammonia absorbing gravel on the bottom.

Should i continue to treat him with the Melafix? or should i give him a little break with just salt and frequent water changes?

Thanks for any advice :)

Alot of Betta's Appear to Bite their tails, could this little split be due to him biting?
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #3 
SwimyRainbowFinn

That could be, i always thought that if the tail was bitten it would look ragged or frayed, this new one is a clean split. Or maybe he's just outsmarting me and making it look like its not his fault O.o
SwimyRainbowFinn is offline   Reply With Quote