Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #1 
ohstephyy

I am a complete noob.

Hi guuuysss :D I'm brand spanking new to this forum and everything to do with betta fish. I bought my Fredward almost a week ago and he's in a 1/2 gallon tank at the moment ._. (this is the exact kit: http://www.petco.com/product/10367/M...=FishFC_OnSale) which is so small.

He has no filter, no heater (only has gravel and a plant)... And i'm very worried about him. Right now, he seems fine, he swims around, hides behind his plastic plant (which I read are bad for his fins.. Oh dear), noms on his bloodworms, makes bubbles.

Anyways, here are my questions... I'm going to buy all his supplies tomorrow which include a 2.5 gallon tank.

If I buy a whisper filter (which is what i'm planning on doing), how often should I clean the tank? And what else keeps it clean? (Should I get snails to help clean it, or what other fish can help) Do live plants help as well?

And... I'm so confused in 'cycling' the tank. Do I need to do that before I put him in the tank? Uuugh, I don't get it.

Basically, what should I do before transporting him into his new 2.5 gallon tank? What other things will keep it clean? And what about amonia levels? What work comes with handling a 2.5 gallon? and should I get him other food for variety instead of feeding him bloodworms every day?

SORRY FOR THE BUTTLOAD OF QUESTIONS D': I just want Freddy to be all good.

~ Ohstephyy
ohstephyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #2 
prettylittlefishy

In a 2.5 gallon there isn't many other fish you can have.. maybe 1-2 ghost shrimp to eat uneaten food. I'd say a 2.5 uncycled tank would need a 50% change one week 100% the next.

Cycled I'd say maybe once weekly 50% changes.

Thats my guess, maybe an expert will come along.

As for food, yes bloodworms should only be treats, 1-2 a week. For feeding try 1 pellet in the morning 1 pellet before bed.

Those are all the questions I can answer, sorry. :(
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:55 PM   #3 
ohstephyy

@ PLF

D: THANK YOU, That actually helped me a whole much more than you think. I'll get him some ghost shrimp to eat up the uneaten food, because there seems to be some of that at the bottom. I can deal with cleaning his tank 50% one week and 100% the next, i've been doing 100% cleanings twice a week which gets cumbersome.

I'll go ahead and buy him some pellets... He seems to be getting fat, I think he's bloated.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #4 
Adastra

I don't think one 50% and one 100% would be sufficient at all for a tank that size with no live plants. Perhaps if the tank was filled with java moss--but not just bare like that.

A 2.5G tank should have a 100% change every 4-5 days--during the change, wash everything out with hot water including the gravel, decor, and tank itself.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #5 
Laurenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
I don't think one 50% and one 100% would be sufficient at all for a tank that size with no live plants. Perhaps if the tank was filled with java moss--but not just bare like that.

A 2.5G tank should have a 100% change every 4-5 days--during the change, wash everything out with hot water including the gravel, decor, and tank itself.
+1
Laurenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.......

In your current tank-half gallon-I would make every other day 100% water changes

Before you place the Betta in his new tank-if he came in a cup-save this and use for water changes and moving him around.

To move him to the new tank-put him and enough water from the half gallon in his small cup to cover him and then add some of the water from the new tank every 5 min or so until it is full-net him out and place in the new tank.

In a 2.5g filter tank- water changes of twice weekly 50% should keep water quality at safe levels, provided that you don't over feed and uneaten food is removed after feeding.
With the filter running 24/7 (required) the tank will cycle within 4-8 weeks, however, due to the needed water changes in that volume of water-cycling is a non-issue of sorts, but the tank will cycle and this will give you some wiggle room so to speak when life happens giving you an extra day and the fish still safe.

The filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water 1-2 times a month and when the water flow slows to get the big pieces of gunk off to maintain good water flow

You also need to clean the gravel with one of the twice weekly water changes

You can use either a turkey baster, siphon or a plastic cup-
First-unplug the filter and heater and give the gravel a little stir to get the debris up in the water column and remove half the water by dipping with a cup or siphon
Then re-fill with like temp dechlorinated water and plug the heater and filter back in-the water should clear in an hour or two
This need to be done one time a week and the other twice weekly water change can be water only.

Always wash you hand before and after you do anything with your fish and tank

It is important to keep the water temp within a couple of degrees from new and old water to prevent temp related problems and use a good dechlorinator with any new water added to the fish if on city water supply

If the Betta every acts odd or has a behavior change-make a 50% water only change even if you just did a water change the day before or earlier in the day.

In 2.5g tanks it is often easier to use a cup and dip the water

A good varied diet is needed-as posted earlier freeze dried bloodworms should only be fed 1-2 times a week as a treat, a good staple pellet made for Bettas should be fine
Remember their stomach is about the size of their eye and overfeeding can cause problems-small feedings twice a day is usually fine

Things you need:
bucket-labeled "fish only"
plastic cup or siphon
turkey baster (to use to remove uneaten food between water changes)
Dechlorinator if on city water supply
You can keep all cleaning supply in the bucket

You also need:
Thermometer
Heater to keep the water temp stable at 76-80F

Live plants will help and the Betta will love you for them....

I am sure I forgot something....but I am sure someone else will add as needed...

Congrats with your new wet-pet and look forward to hearing more about your Betta and seeing pic........

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 08-30-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #7 
ohstephyy

@ OFL

You are the best! :D That answered all my questions! I just finished giving him his third 100% water change since I got him a week ago, he seems to be fine... I used warmer water than before (added some in the container 5min until full like you said) and then let him swim on in. He swims around a lot more. I'm excited to get him his new bigger house tomorrow :D

Until tomorrow I'll have to just feed him the bloodworms, which I just did.

Thanks for the welcoming and advice guys! I'll keep you updated with pictures of Fredward and his new home asap <3

Tags
2.5 gallon, begginer, confuesed, newb