Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #1 
nochoramet

Exclamation Need some advice please

Ok guys, I'm kind of worried about Fishy... he is very lethargic and keeps getting worse instead of better. My water params are fine, I'm religious about water changes...nothing different in the tank. But he's really ragged looking and he has kind of white poo and he's slightly bloated. This all happened within the past 3-4 days so I'm not really sure what could have brought this on? Any advice? I really don't want to lose the big guy, but I've never dealt with illnessess. All my guys have so far been very healthy. This is what he's doing all day, which is very unlike him to do:

Last edited by nochoramet; 02-14-2014 at 04:47 AM.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Since you ruled out water quality as the problem-what about water temp, is he in a divided tank with another Betta, if so, how are they acting, what about his appetite?

Do you know how old he is?

I would start by QT and making some 100% daily water changes for now and see if he perks up or if any more symptom show up and go from that point...it hard to say what is going on......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #3 
nochoramet

He's eating fine, he just is really...slow I guess. He's in a divided tank with 3 other bettas and they are all fine. No one is showing any other symptoms. I'm not sure how old he is, at LEAST 1 1/2 years but that's a bit young to show aging symptoms, am I right?

And the only reason I don't really want to quarantine him is because my dorm rules say I can't turn the air conditioner above 72, I don't have a heater tiny enough for the 1g tank, and I don't want him to freeze to death. It might exacerbate the problem. What do you think I should do?

(Oh, and the water temp stays around 84* in the tank.)
Old 08-30-2010, 05:58 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Each Betta is different when it comes to age IME-it can be dependent on several factor most leading back to genetic, but also rearing from fry stage and then daily care and water temp- until you got him and he started getting correct care...so sadly-it could be age related-especially since the other Bettas housed in the same water are all doing fine...
Does he have the start of a hump back or scales getting lighter in color around his face and head-these can (not always) be early signs of aging

I would suggest that you slowly lower the water temp to the 80F range-with higher temps comes lower dissolved oxygen in the water, higher/faster metabolism all of which can speed aging process.

Even though Bettas are tropical fish they do go through water temp changes from day and night and rainy season-long term at the high end of recommended water temp 24/7 can sometimes have a toll on them. This is why I keep mine at the low end except for spawning....as said...each Betta is different like us and the aging process.....

For QT-what about an even smaller container and then float it in the 10g to maintain temp??

And true you don't want any sudden water temp changes it can be hard on an already compromised fish and make things worse......

White poo and slight bloat-is the poo stringy or anyone else with white poo and bloat? this can be a sign of internal parasite or a sign of system shut down...lets hope it is internal parasites...that treatable....
Do you use long term aquarium salt?
Old 08-30-2010, 06:24 PM   #5 
nochoramet

Alright, I'll lower the temps some since you told me that. And I do have a small cup I can float him in, so I'll try that.

I adopted him from a member on this forum, Vikki. She had him from May of '09 until Feb 2010 and she took great care of him, but she said that he was pretty large when she got him so he wasn't a baby. So we can't really know how old he is.

I do not use long term aquarium salt, I put some in as I was starting my tank up but now I never use it. I have some just in case I need it though. I heard it was harmful for them in the long run.

And I can't really say he has a humped back or lighter scales on his face, his back is almost...bowed like he's arching his back but this only started when he became lethargic. However, his eyes are kind of cloudy, and he seems to have trouble seeing food that I drop in, so maybe he has cataracts? I'm not really sure if that is even possible.

But i'll get him in that cup. Any recommendations other than keeping the water crystal clear?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:39 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Clean water is all I would do right now and see how he does...either perk up or symptoms change

I don't use long term salt-it can cause problems in the long run especially in low doses...it is a great product for short term treatments in the correct dosage and duration IMO/E

He sure is a pretty fish...I hope he gets better for you.....
Old 08-31-2010, 11:47 AM   #7 
nochoramet

Thank you for your advice :) He's a little more perky in the cup, maybe he couldn't get to his air as much? I'm going to get a breeder trap today from the pet store and if he's looking better by tomorrow I'm going to put him in there so he can be in the water of the tank, but be able to get to the air easier. Does that sound like a good idea?
Old 08-31-2010, 12:03 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

That would work, however, my concern would be if he was contagious or not and being in the shared water with the other Bettas....just a thought.....

Good to hear he is perking up...do you have any IAL or oak leaf on hand to add to his water...it can't hurt.......
Old 08-31-2010, 09:46 PM   #9 
nochoramet

Yeah that's true. Well I'll just wait until the end of the week and if he isn't showing any symptoms I will let him out and see how he does. The others are all doing fine so maybe it's not a disease or anything. He's perked up a good bit today.

I don't have any IAL or oak on hand right at this moment, but I will try to get some. Hopefully I won't need it though because he seems to be doing a lot better right now.... I really don't know what's going on! He's not bloated anymore either so that's good. His poop is normal too.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Great news......he may have just been having a bad day or a stomach ache or something...may never know......