Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2010, 10:44 AM   #11 
Sivan

I will see if I can find "Prime" in PetSmart today.

I just bought new food, but he won't eat that either.

Why does he keep pressing against the wall when swimming? He is also laying down again. I don't know if it is normal laying down or a bad sign. I haven't had him long enough to determine his personality yet.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:47 AM   #12 
Oldfishlady

That is not a good sign-he needs a water change and the water treatment added and hope that it is not too late.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #13 
Sivan

I just changed his water yesterday. I do not want to repeat the same mistake again. Should I go out to buy Prime now and then do a water change? If I use prime should I add in aquarium salt to help with his stress? Should I avoid using the tap conditioner at all?
Old 08-31-2010, 11:02 AM   #14 
Oldfishlady

I would see if I could find Prime or any dechlorinator that covers both chlorine and chloramine, heavy metals, ammonia

Make a 100% water change with like temp water with the new water treatment, adding 1tsp/gal of salt will not hurt at this point

Also take some of your tank water and source water to the pet shop with you and have it tested-or if you have the testing products for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH on hand go ahead and test both tank and source water...remember pH needs to gas out for 24h to get an accurate pH reading on the source water.

Hopefully it is not too late, however, if it is from toxic water the damage may have already been done.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:05 AM   #15 
Sivan

Thank you! I will go right away and post the result later.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:07 AM   #16 
Oldfishlady

A good rule of thumb.....anytime the fish is acting odd or has had a behavior change...make a water change even if you just did one the day before or earlier in the day to rule out the environment as the cause.....sometimes we can get distracted and forget to add the dechlorinator or not enough, something was on our hand or in the air that contaminated the water...etc......
Old 08-31-2010, 12:26 PM   #17 
Sivan

I just changed his water and put 4 drops of Prime in the tank (its about a 2 gallon) and he is breathing very heavily again. I will be getting the water tested later, I want to observe him right now and see if he calms down first. He is going up for air a lot as of now.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:53 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

Hopefully damage has not been done already.....

You may want to lower the water level if he seems to be struggling to swim and breath and turn the light off as well to create less stress to give him time and the environment to recover....

Good luck I hope he recovers....
Old 08-31-2010, 01:15 PM   #19 
Sivan

Alright. Fabio looks much better! He is swimming around the tank, but not just against the wall. I cleaned and placed a ceramic barrel into the tank for him to hide in, which he fell in love with immediately. The air pump doesn't seem to bother him anymore and he does not it at the bottom of the tank abnormally.

However, he isn't breathing as easily as the ones in the store do but it is not overly heavy. I wonder if he is just stressed.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:23 PM   #20 
Oldfishlady

Awesome news.....he may just need some more time to de-stress-he may have had some damage to his gills as well from the toxic water and needs time to heal too, especially if it is in his system, give him time and peace and quite so his immune response can kick in
I would hold his food for now (1-2 days) unless he come to the top wagging his tail begging for food...then feed small amount a couple of times a day