Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #1 
Audi

Question Help

Hi everyone!

I have been offered a betta fish recently, but the thing is that the "fish tank" that I had was very small (at least I think it was), so I bought a 30 litre tank and my betta seems lonely in there..

I know that bettas are agressive, but is there any other species that I can put with my betta? I've read that some tetra species are compatible with bettas.

Additionally, can anyone give me some begginer tips, like watter temperature, ideal betta food, plants, etc, so that my betta can grow healthy and happy?

Oh, I almost forgot! Someone told me that I should, every other time, put a mirror next to the fish tank, so that my betta could become more beautifull. Is that a good thing to do?

Thanks in advance!
Audi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #2 
JKfish

Welcome to the forum and betta keeping.

okay, temp is recommended to be 76-80 degrees fahrenheit, to do this, you might want to get a heater to keep the temperatures a constant temperature, and a thermometer to moniter the temperatures.

feeding (pellets) 2-3 pellets twice a day. Make sure to soak the pellets completely. When buying food, make sure the first ingredient is some sort of meat (shrimp or fish meal)

I personally believe you are safer off leaving your betta be. Some bettas are little adorable devils that kill anything you put in his/her tank, others are little lambs (I have one of each XD )

The safest tankmates would be shrimps and snails. Even with those, you risk the shrimps being eaten... Nothing less than 5 gallons for snails and or shrimps with a betta fish. Nothing less than 10 gallons for a small school of fish. The reason you want such large tanks is because you want to be able to provide space so the other fish can escape and hide from your betta if he decides to go nuts. Good fish would be harlequin rasboras or neon tetras.

* Oh, this is important. Depending on how tall or long your tank is, you may or may not be able to keep many tank mates with your betta. The more air surface your tank has means the more you can stock.

Putting a mirror infront of your betta for a minute or two each day will make him flare like crazy and exercise, which won't hurt. However, beware doing it too long, because it could stress him.

Cleaning the tank: You can get a filter, but you'll want to make sure it doesn't toss your betta around too much, basically, make sure it is a very slow flow, because too much current is bad for bettas because of their long fins. If you decide to cycle (http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm) your water changes will be significantly less. If you don't, just be sure to keep up with water changes.

Water: If you are using tap water, be sure to condition it so all the ammonia, chlorine, and heavy metals are detoxified. Just letting water sit isn't enough. If you are on well water, I've heard from people no conditioning is necessary.

You've got a 10 gallon, so if you want, you can load it with a bunch of plants and possibly a few hiding spots for your betta, so he has some place to hide in if he wants.

Also, I'd like to add that bettas are beautiful fish that bond well with their owners and are relatively hardy, so they are sort of forgiving to new owners' mistakes :)

Last edited by JKfish; 08-30-2010 at 07:22 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:26 PM   #3 
Audi

Thank you JKfish!

My tank is about 8 gallons, so I suppose it would be risky to have some other fish in there..

Can you tell me the most appropriate plants to have in my tank?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #4 
JKfish

I'm no expert with plants, but some great low-light plants would be anubias, java ferns, and java moss. Some advise, don't buy those plants in tubes that petstores sell, they are all scams, and most aren't fit to live under water for extended periods of time.

I bought the aponogeton bulbs from walmart in the fish section for maybe 3 dollars, and after about a week of sitting in a clear cup full of water by a window, they all started growing. When they showed signs of mold, I would gently pull them out and gingerly brush it off and put them back. As they grew, to boost their growth, I put fish food in there so when it decomposed, the ammonia would feed them. After they were big enough, I planted them in my tank :D

I would recommend those, but I've heard other people had trouble with them.

Last edited by JKfish; 08-30-2010 at 07:39 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:53 AM   #5 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi View Post
Thank you JKfish!

My tank is about 8 gallons, so I suppose it would be risky to have some other fish in there..

Can you tell me the most appropriate plants to have in my tank?
My tanks 8 Gallons too.

I had two Cherry shrimps in my tank before I had my betta in, well planted.

However he decided to Gobble one up and killed the other.

Hes currently in with 3 Corydoras (yes i know they do better with 6), But my uncles taking these as they were getting bullied in my Grandads tank, so they got added to mine.(as i cannot fit 3 more in my gal)

He Flares at them occasional but doesn't go constantly chasing them.

If they leave him alone, he tends to leave them alone (I think the cory's are pygmys) (unsure)

Plant wise so Far I have Green Cabomba, Java moss, and Java Fern, All growing well with low light so far
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:26 PM   #6 
Audi

Thank you!

You already taught me a lot :)

So, I'll get started with my new fish tank and post some pictures when everything is ready.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:06 PM   #7 
vaygirl

Check those plants they sell in tubes. They do sell java fern but they call it 'Tropical Fern'. The Latin name is Microsorum Pteropus, which it'll say under Tropical Fern. They sell Anubias Nana too. You have to be willing to weed through them but you CAN find aquatic plants. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
begginer, compatability, help with new owner, new fish aquarium newbie, tips