Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Old 06-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #1 
[Warning: Dead Betta] My Fish passed away last night I don't know why!?

I woke up and he was lying upside down in the bottom his tank. He had a white patch under his chin and ventral fins.

Leading up to today he had been lethargic and not eating. He would just hang out at the surface and chill out. We had JUST gotten him so I chalked it up to stress. This is day 7 for me having him.

Our other betta in these conditions is doing just fine!!!

What size is your tank? I think it was 2L ( I know I was getting a new one today)
What temperature is your tank? I don't know
Does your tank have a filter? Yes but was unplugged briefly, the 'betta falls' was sucking my other fish into the grates.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Water flowing through it usually.
Is your tank heated? No, it is summer
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

What type of food do you feed your betta fish? He wouldn't eat, I tried Peas, blood worms, food pellets, food flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? I tried once a day but he would not eat

How often do you perform a water change? It was 25% from the bottom every other day with a turkey baster.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I added Nutrafin Betta+ tap water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I think he got more white
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He was always lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? We literally just bought him 6 days ago
How old is your fish (approximately)? He was quite young, just out of the pet store so in the 2-3 months range I think.
Attached Images
midterm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:31 AM   #2 
Sounds to me like he was stressed out since the tank was so small and he wasn't eating. You really should see what your temperature is since just because it's summer doesn't mean the water is hot enough to be the correct temperature for a betta. Peas can rip the digestive track as I have been told but I haven't experienced it myself, gor future reference. Was the white him paling under stress or him literally changing colors? So I have three theories a) he was stressed out b)your ammonia built up in the tiny container c)a combination of both
superswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote