Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2010, 01:37 AM   #1 
MustardGas
New Member
 
MustardGas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Filling my sadly empty tank: Male betta or a sorority?

After the unfortunate passings of both my boys, my tank is empty except for a few shrimp and snails. I'm wondering if I should go for just another male, or try out a sorority. A male would be nice to spoil, but I like the idea of more than one betta in the same area (not divided) and I'd kind of like to try it.

I'm torn. What do you think?

The poor sad empty tank:

MustardGas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:59 AM   #2 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
SORORITY!!! But do you know all the steps to making one work and how to have a successful sorority?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:44 AM   #3 
MustardGas
New Member
 
MustardGas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
I think I do. If I decide on one I'll definitely make sure I know everything.

I've heard some say quarantine each fish for a bit, then add them one by one, the dominant one last. I've also heard add them all at once, and if you add one later on you have to take everyone out, rearrange the decor, then add back in. Then there's the pecking order. There will be a dominant female, and she will pick on the others (which is why 5+ is recommended).

Tell me if I'm getting any of this right lol. I haven't actually researched this, it's just all that I've picked up from here and there.
MustardGas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:21 AM   #4 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustardGas View Post
I think I do. If I decide on one I'll definitely make sure I know everything.

I've heard some say quarantine each fish for a bit, then add them one by one, the dominant one last. I've also heard add them all at once, and if you add one later on you have to take everyone out, rearrange the decor, then add back in. Then there's the pecking order. There will be a dominant female, and she will pick on the others (which is why 5+ is recommended).

Tell me if I'm getting any of this right lol. I haven't actually researched this, it's just all that I've picked up from here and there.
Okay well you are partially correct. With a sorority you will need at LEAST a 10 gallon tank with(LOTS) of hiding spots and caves, at least 4 females but 6 females the most.

You dont have to quarantine each fish!. You have to release each female and keep an eagle eye on them. They will determine the pecking order themselves. The Alpha female meaning the toughest one will be the dominant and respected and will not be messed with. Each fish will get tested in the pecking order. If one or more females are too aggressive, you MUST remove her/them!! And try other females!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:33 AM   #5 
MustardGas
New Member
 
MustardGas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
Okay well you are partially correct. With a sorority you will need at LEAST a 10 gallon tank with(LOTS) of hiding spots and caves, at least 4 females but 6 females the most.

You dont have to quarantine each fish!. You have to release each female and keep an eagle eye on them. They will determine the pecking order themselves. The Alpha female meaning the toughest one will be the dominant and respected and will not be messed with. Each fish will get tested in the pecking order. If one or more females are too aggressive, you MUST remove her/them!! And try other females!

I know about the 10 gallon, but does my tank look like it has enough coverage for when needed?

Oh and the bettas I would be getting are all already in the same tank. At my work we have about a 20 gallon with 10-15 females in it at any given time. To be honest, I think some plakat males have ended up in there as well. Do you think it would be easier introducing them to a new tank if they've already been together? They don't seem to fight at all in the 20. It's weird.
MustardGas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:54 AM   #6 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustardGas View Post
I know about the 10 gallon, but does my tank look like it has enough coverage for when needed?

Oh and the bettas I would be getting are all already in the same tank. At my work we have about a 20 gallon with 10-15 females in it at any given time. To be honest, I think some plakat males have ended up in there as well. Do you think it would be easier introducing them to a new tank if they've already been together? They don't seem to fight at all in the 20. It's weird.
Well Your tank is fine although it looks like you have a rotting plant back there,

Dont trust pet stores set ups!!! They had about 50 bettas in a 10 gallon before and that was the worst to see.

If you could try to convince your co-workers or the manager to keep the minimum of 15 bettas in one 20 gallon tank!!

What do you mean by
" Do you think it would be easier introducing them to a new tank if they've already been together?"????
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:49 AM   #7 
MustardGas
New Member
 
MustardGas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
Well Your tank is fine although it looks like you have a rotting plant back there,

Dont trust pet stores set ups!!! They had about 50 bettas in a 10 gallon before and that was the worst to see.

If you could try to convince your co-workers or the manager to keep the minimum of 15 bettas in one 20 gallon tank!!

What do you mean by
" Do you think it would be easier introducing them to a new tank if they've already been together?"????

Which plant? My little Amazon Sword isn't doing so hot up front; I had to uproot it and move it and it didn't take it well. The snails are taking care of those leaves. Otherwise all are fine.

Our store isn't like that. We do the best we can, I never said I was going to keep 15 bettas in a 20 gallon. I was just pointing out that that's what we have, and they're all fine with each other. We have nowhere else to put them. I'm not retarded, I know how to stock a tank.

I don't understand your 3rd paragraph/phrase. (Minimum 15..?)

The females are in the same tank at work right now. If I were to take 5 of them home, do you think there would be as much squabbling between them as if I were to take females home that had never seen each other?
MustardGas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:18 AM   #8 
doggyhog
Member
 
doggyhog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In the middle of no where (PA)
There is a sticky in the betta care section if you want to read over that. :) It is great and gives just the basic information as to how to start a sorority.

Your probably going to want to quarantine all the girls if they weren't in the same tank already. But if they are, no need to IMO. If you get them and they are in cups separately, then you should QT them.

Yes, that would help a LOT if they were already together!!! I love it when pet stores do that! It makes the fish sooo much happier.

I would say the most for a 10 is 8-9. Obviously since your tank is already planted and cycled that would work well. Depending on how it works out, two small water changes a week might be best.

Good luck!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:34 AM   #9 
MustardGas
New Member
 
MustardGas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Thanks doggy! I wouldn't do more than 6, just because I'd wanna spoil them ;)

Yeah, we receive the females in the cups, and technically they are supposed to be sold that way, but we have the ability to manipulate some of the tanks and give the females one. I'm talking to my manager about trying to convince our district manager to let us set up some filtered/heated barracks for the males. It would bs tricky, but I think we could pull it off. So far she's allowed us to add 3 extra quarantine/hospital tanks (we're only supposed to have one) and set up a brackish tank for the mollies. They always died in the freshwater system, so we have a 30 gallon brackish for them. 2 weeks and not a single Molly death! Before it would be at least 3 deaths a day.
Posted via Mobile Device
MustardGas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Male in a Sorority? lastbook87 Betta Fish Compatibility 4 08-05-2010 08:18 PM
To get a male or a sorority? dipsydoodlenoodle Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 6 06-04-2010 06:32 AM
Split Tank Male/Sorority? TribalKatFish Betta Fish Care 2 05-22-2010 03:59 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.