Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2010, 01:56 AM   #1 
Prometheus916

Quick question: Should I keep this kit or go back to the vase?

http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/pro...01134000020101

Theres the link for the kit I have, I bought my betta (Prometheus) about 3 weeks ago and have been keeping him in a Large polish vase (Pic reference coming in the morning) with warm, unconditioned tap water. He made a bubble nest 3 times during the 2 weeks he was in it. I made 4 or 5 100% water changes. There were no accessories. I fed him 2 or 3 pellets from (img below) twice a day, and he ate everything.

I recently switched to the above link, and I've noticed he isn't eating as much, his fins look a bit tattered, but i think it may be the plant thats in there (It's plastic). I'll remove it in the morning and try the pantyhose test i read in another thread. Oh, and no bubble nest in the 4 days hes been in the new tank.

List of Betta Kit contents:
  • 1/2 Gal (1.84L) Aquarium
  • Tap water conditioner
  • Color enhancing flake food (Not currently being used)
  • Plastic plant
  • Gravel

Im pretty sure the vase Prometheus was in before, was at least 1 Gal, possibly 1.5.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

~Drew
Attached Images

Prometheus916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:03 AM   #2 
MustardGas

I would move him back to the vase.. it seems much bigger than the 1/2 gallon he's in now. Your best bet would be to get at least a 2.5 gallon (5 is better, and not that much more expensive) with at least a heater. Your betta will love you and be a lot healthier.

And the bubblenest isn't really a sign of happiness, it's more instinct than anything. I work at PetSmart and see even the most pathetic, emaciated bettas make nests. (They come in that small. We do our best to fatten them up)

We sell those kits and I really wish we didn't. All it is is a glorified toilet; it's small and cold and gets dirty really fast. An upgrade will make things easier too. The water stays cleaner longer, plus your fish will have less of a chance of developing behaviours such as tail biting and glass surfing.

Edit: Here's a good tank. It's only $30 and comes with the glass tank, hood/light, and a filter. All you need is a heater and gravel/decor.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...-Pets/12177653

Also the very popular Hawkeye:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...ndingMethod=rr

Last edited by MustardGas; 08-31-2010 at 02:07 AM.
MustardGas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:03 AM   #3 
ReyesBetta

That tank isn't big enough, a 2.5 gallon tank should be a minimum. Dechlorinator MUST be used also.

Darn I was beat. :P
ReyesBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:09 AM   #4 
Prometheus916

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustardGas View Post
I work at PetSmart and see even the most pathetic, emaciated bettas make nests. (They come in that small. We do our best to fatten them up)

We sell those kits and I really wish we didn't. All it is is a glorified toilet; it's small and cold and gets dirty really fast. An upgrade will make things easier too. The water stays cleaner longer, plus your fish will have less of a chance of developing behaviours such as tail biting and glass surfing.
I'm pretty sure he's already a glass surfer, when I was trying to take pics of him I noticed it, but didn't know it was a behavior to watch for.

I actually got both my fish and the kit from Petsmart.
Should I move the gravel to the vase or does it even matter?

Edit: RE: Thanks for the tank links. bookmarked 'em and will get 1 within the next week or so, as my funds are mighty limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyesBetta View Post
That tank isn't big enough, a 2.5 gallon tank should be a minimum. Dechlorinator MUST be used also.
I'll look for a bigger tank on craigslist.
Can anyone recommend inexpensive dechlorinators?

Last edited by Prometheus916; 08-31-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:39 AM   #5 
MustardGas

A good dechlorinator/conditioner is Prime. The price might be a bit hefty at first glance, BUT with the small bottle the dose is only 2 drops per gallon, and a bigger bottle is one capful for every 50 gallons. I think 250mL treats 2500 gallons, so a little goes a long way and it's actually a fantastic price.

You're welcome for the links, too!

About the gravel: I don't think it really matters if you add it to the vase. The only upside I see is that any mulm will catch in it a bit and not be constantly floating around the vase.
MustardGas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:27 AM   #6 
bettalover2033

As of right now keep the kit but post some pics of the vase so we could see how big and roomy it was for him.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:14 AM   #7 
Prometheus916

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
As of right now keep the kit but post some pics of the vase so we could see how big and roomy it was for him.

Okay, so its not as big as I estimated. Votes? Vase or kit until I can get a bigger tank?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:37 AM   #8 
bettalover2033

Well i would say the kit because the vase really doesnt hold much, and The kip looks a little better, but your water in th kit is turning a little cloudy, why is that?

Did you rinse the aqua decor?

Keep the kit because all you have to do is fill the kit a little more and he should be happy, the vase is just tall and you see where the vase closes and opens up again, that is where the water has to stop and if he is swimming at the bottom of his vase, and he needs to breath quick he will have to race up to the top fast and take a breath, but in the kit he will just have to swim a little ways up to breath and still have a wider range of swimming.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:45 AM   #9 
Prometheus916

I did not rinse before putting in the decor, should I pull him out and do that? Or is it too late?

The water line on the vase usually stops below the close, right under the sticker. I thought that because the mouth of the vase is so small compared to the circumference, that I would keep the water line a little lower to avoid Prometheus surfing the glass on his way up for air.

*Going to my LOCAL fishy store, rather than Petsmart, to look at bigger tanks*
Old 08-31-2010, 12:24 PM   #10 
bettalover2033

Yes you should rinse the decor and everything in it befor using or puting anything that has to do with the tank so take him ut and rinse (WITHOUT SOAP!)

Good job with the vase and not filling the vase all the way up to the tip top!

So just take him our rinse everything, put declorinator and you COULD add stress zyme or stress coat to calm him but its not a need. so thats your choice with the stress coats.

Tags
betta kit