Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2010, 12:53 PM   #11 
Adastra

With Prime, you get the most dechlorinator for your money since it's more concentrated than other dechlorinators.

Neither of these tanks are suitable homes for a betta. I would return the kit ASAP, the company that made that deathtrap doesn't deserve to profit from it.

As far as getting another tank, craigslist is a great option. If you want to buy any other supplies, I highly recommend ordering online. Each item online is often marked down $10 or more because they don't have to cover all of the expenses of a retail store (paying mortgage, employees, utilities, maintenance, etc). I use http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...lies/pr/c/3578 the shipping is a very reasonable flat rate and they have a much better selection of high quality products than you would find at any pet store. I suggest purchasing Prime dechlorinator, an adjustable 25watt heater, silk plants/decor items, gravel, and a test kit online. You will save a lot of money. The best part is that they take paypal, so you don't need to have a credit card to order. Just a bank account.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:53 PM   #12 
Prometheus916

I have him in the vase for now, with a ping-pong ball to see if he'll push it around. I'm returning the kit because I have that option and it frees up more moula for a bigger tank. :)

I'll post pics later.

Thank so much MG and BL. I'm glad I stumbled upon this site. You guys have been a great help. <3

*Edit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
With Prime, you get the most dechlorinator for your money since it's more concentrated than other dechlorinators.

Neither of these tanks are suitable homes for a betta. I would return the kit ASAP, the company that made that deathtrap doesn't deserve to profit from it.

As far as getting another tank, craigslist is a great option. If you want to buy any other supplies, I highly recommend ordering online. Each item online is often marked down $10 or more because they don't have to cover all of the expenses of a retail store (paying mortgage, employees, utilities, maintenance, etc). I use http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...lies/pr/c/3578 the shipping is a very reasonable flat rate and they have a much better selection of high quality products than you would find at any pet store. I suggest purchasing Prime dechlorinator, an adjustable 25watt heater, silk plants/decor items, gravel, and a test kit online. You will save a lot of money. The best part is that they take paypal, so you don't need to have a credit card to order. Just a bank account.
Thank you!!

Side note: There should be a thank you button for helpful posts. Maybe?

Last edited by Prometheus916; 08-31-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Prometheus916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:56 PM   #13 
bettalover2033

Quote:

i agree completely go to craigslist!!!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:34 PM   #14 
Prometheus916

So I returned the death trap, and found a 2 1/4 gal tank from Petsclub, (Sams club/costco of pet stuff?) for less than the cost of the kit. Sweet!

I also noticed that they carried the stress coat from foster and smith for less. I did not see any dechlorinators though. So I've used the rest of the conditioner that came with the kit a perfect 4 cap fulls. (1 cap = .5 gal)
I put warm water in the tank and I'm letting the water sit for a lil while. Prometheus will be in his new (possibly final) home in a few hours.

I was looking at gravel while i was in petsclub, and noticed they all said epoxy coated, anyone know what that means or what its uses are?
And can I use sand rather than gravel?
Prometheus916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:40 PM   #15 
Adastra

Sand can be harder to clean--since this is a small unfiltered tank, you're going to have to maintain it using the uncycled method. This means that every 3-4 days, you'll need to change 100% of the water and wash the tank and everything in it with hot water in order to remove all of the ammonia, ammonia residue, uneaten food, and poop from the tank. If you use sand or gravel, this will be a bit more challenging to do and you risk getting gravel and sand grains down the drain of your sink, which is about the fastest way to ruin a garbage disposal.

I suggest using either no substrate, or you could use larger glass pebbles, or larger river rocks quarter sized or larger. Most pet and craft stores sell them.

Small live plants, like java moss in particular, would help remove some of the ammonia in the tank and keep the water more clean between water changes. It doesn't have roots, so it doesn't need to be "planted" so to speak.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:43 PM   #16 
bettalover2033

its recommended that gravel is used because sand it very messy and can contain things that only Salt water fish can sustain in. so as a beginner i would just stick to gravel.:) pictures?
Old 08-31-2010, 04:12 PM   #17 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Sand can be harder to clean--since this is a small unfiltered tank, you're going to have to maintain it using the uncycled method. This means that every 3-4 days, you'll need to change 100% of the water and wash the tank and everything in it with hot water in order to remove all of the ammonia, ammonia residue, uneaten food, and poop from the tank. If you use sand or gravel, this will be a bit more challenging to do and you risk getting gravel and sand grains down the drain of your sink, which is about the fastest way to ruin a garbage disposal.

I suggest using either no substrate, or you could use larger glass pebbles, or larger river rocks quarter sized or larger. Most pet and craft stores sell them.

Small live plants, like java moss in particular, would help remove some of the ammonia in the tank and keep the water more clean between water changes. It doesn't have roots, so it doesn't need to be "planted" so to speak.
i agree!! Also, You can use pebbles in your stone driveway if you have one, but (not recommended) although they give the tank a good natural look to it and they must be in treated water and washed and cleaned perfectly and with no soap before adding as some tank rocks, and Look for sharp or pointy edges that the betta will get snagged with so watch out for those!!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #18 
zelilaa

I use pebbles in my tank! They are awesome, but super obnoxious when it comes to putting in fake plants with the green cuppy thign at the bottom. The pebbles are barely small anough to go in the cup, so it takes FOREVER to cut the plants set up. grrr... but other then that i <3 them, and they certainley do give a nice 'look' to the tank.
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #19 
peaches3221

i'd say go with the kit. i've had it, and its a pretty good betta home. (my betta now lives in a half gallon critter carrier) some people may tell you they need a heater and filter but they can live in a half gallon tank IF IT IS CLEANED AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK! and definately rinse the gravel!
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #20 
Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches3221 View Post
i'd say go with the kit. i've had it, and its a pretty good betta home. (my betta now lives in a half gallon critter carrier) some people may tell you they need a heater and filter but they can live in a half gallon tank IF IT IS CLEANED AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK! and definately rinse the gravel!
Once A week for a half Gallon? :O
Thats wayyy underkill, for a half gallon should be 100% almost everyday, i'd be scared to put my finger in the water if i only cleaned it once a week
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta kit