Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2010, 03:12 AM   #1 
Staciekarp

Betta looks like he's having a tough time breathing

Hello again; I made a topic about this same fish when I first got him and I'm very sorry I never got back to those of you that replied then. :( Since my last post he has been acting healthy and happy up until now.

His operculum are opening up wider then I've seen on any fish and closing again; constantly. His mouth opens are closes along with it. Hes staying at the surface most of the time; when he does go down he dives down and comes right back up. He's also not interested in food at all. He's been like this since yesterday and all of today.

When I noticed this yesterday I gave him a 100% water change, lowered the water level, and added some aquarium salt. The temperature in the tank is at a constant 78 degrees. He lives in a 2 gallon tank and I've been giving him 100% water changes (which I've just read isn't good. blegh ) once a week. Could this be the cause of his strange behavior? Or could there be something else as well? I'm also not sure what I can do to stop this.

This picture is from yesterday; he actually looks a whole lot worse today. :( I will take some more pictures if you guys need them.. I don't want to stress him with the camera though.

Thank you for your time and I'm sorry if this post seems a little scrambled.
Staciekarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:26 AM   #2 
bettalover2033

No worries about the post its your betta that has to be cares for At the moment!!

Also he is staying at the top of the water because its easier for him to breath betta.

IMO/E i have never seen any betta with a swollen operculum or as red as his is. And if i did see a betta like that it was because the red was its natural body color.

Im really sorry for you betta and you for going through seein you lil boy like this!! i dont know what it could be. but Loss of appetite and bloating could be Internal parasites:(. im sorry for the bad news and i hope he gets better.

Hopefully Oldfishlady will read this and tell you whats going on I like to think of her as a betta doctor she knows everything about betta diseases, i dont know what we would do without her!!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:40 PM   #3 
Staciekarp

Thank you for your reply and concerns bettalover.

Small update; his operculum are still opening and closing but slower and not opening so wide today. His mouth is still opening and closing with it and he's still not eating. He seems more active today so I hope he's on the road to recovery.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:05 PM   #4 
betta99

looks like your doing what you can so far. If OFL reads this and helps she'll probably find a cure. The 100% water changes most likely don't have much to do with the situation.
betta99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:12 PM   #5 
Adastra

Poor boy, he's definitely bloated. Part of the problem is that you're not changing the water frequently enough--for a 2G container without any plants or a cycled filter, I would change 100% of the water every three days. 100% changes are the only way to get rid of all of the ammonia in the tank, so you were correct in doing 100% changes. When you do the water change, wash out everything with hot water including the tank itself, gravel, and decor items. This will eliminate any ammonia residue, uneaten food, and feces in the tank.

As for what his problem really is, I think it probably is related to overfeeding and ammonia poisoning. Try fasting him until you see him poop or the bloating goes down. When he does poop, try to take note of what the poop looks like, since loss of appetite and bloating are symptoms of intestinal parasites. The poop will be easier to spot if you take the gravel out of his tank. If the poop is white, stringy, or otherwise abnormal, you should medicate him with an anti-parasitic tablet that has the ingredients praziquantel and metronidazole. I have had some success with Jungle's Parasite Clear.

How much and what type of food have you been feeding him?

Last edited by Adastra; 08-31-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:22 PM   #6 
Staciekarp

I will defiantly start changing his (and my other betta's) water every 3 days. I will also start fasting him and watch for poop. Thank you very much for replying and for the information about the anti-parasitic tablets. :)
Old 08-31-2010, 09:08 PM   #7 
bettalover2033

where can i find some of those anti-parasitic tablets?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:52 PM   #8 
Adastra

Petco carries the Jungle Tank Buddies brand, I believe.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:53 PM   #9 
PeiMai

i had this same issue with several bettas before i figured it out. What seemed to work for my guys was aquarium salt. the first day I put it in that night he was back to normal and eating and I haven't had a problem since.
PeiMai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:51 AM   #10 
Staciekarp

Hi guys; little update here. He's looking a lot better. Not panting anymore and swimming around lots. He's still looking bloated and hasn't pooped yet though. :/ His finnage is starting to look droopy and dull too. :(

Here he is now

*hugsfishy*