Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2010, 10:18 AM   #1 
Ariel1719

How exactly do you clean a 10gal?

Mine isnt working right now because movers broke it, but during the time it WAS set up, i think i was doing it the hard way..

this is what i would do for cleaning every week.

+Take Bacardi out
+get a small gallon and start emptying water gallon by gallon
+dump gallons into laundry sink
+take out plants/decorations
+dump new HOT water into tank (only about 2 gals)
+rinse gravel with hand by swishing everything around in hot water
+take out those 2 gals of water
+change filter
+put everything back in
+add water gallon by gallon
+add fish

For everyone with a 10gal, is this the right way to do it? Or was i making my life alot harder then it should be. If i was, what is the right 'easier' way to do this?

(note: My 10gal was set up in my bedroom on my computer desk, the laundry room was to the right outside of my bedroom)
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:35 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

You need a siphon and a 2.5g bucket and hydroclean the substrate with 50% water change weekly (with the fish in the tank), your method most likely is killing all the good bacteria
Your filter media needs a swish/rinse in the removed tank water with a water change 1-2 times a month and when the water flow slows to get the big pieces of gunk off to keep a good water flow for the good bacteria that help to keep the water safe in between water changes, you want the filter media to look dirty..this is the good stuff.....

Hydroclean is vacuuming and you want to vacuum in all places that you can reach without moving anything or disruption of plant root weekly along with 50% of the water removed

Remember-10g is not 10g of water-due to the off set of gravel weight and anything else in the tank and you don't fill it up to the very top usually

To remove half the water weekly-you eye ball this, if you remove more than 50% that is okay too, the good bacteria for the nitrogen cycle are sticky and adhere to everything inside the tank, are in the top layer of the gravel and in the filter media, very little are in the water column itself.

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 08-31-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:43 AM   #3 
Phoxly

Was the tank cycled?

For my cycled tank, with live plants, I do 25% changes weekly to keep the nitrates in check, and to clean up mulm (poop and debri). I do my change 100% with the siphon, and drag it across my sand substrate.

I get 2-3 gallons of water in a couple pitchers and slowly add it back in with conditioner, plant growth crap, and some stress coat.

I do all this with my fish in the tank :P they just stay away from my siphon and all is well. The only stressful part is when I pour water back in and they get whipped around by the current lol. So I try to poor it into my hand and let it slowly break into the water.

I never rinse my substrate though... is that bad? Sand is such a pain, and I have live plants lol.
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:47 AM   #4 
dukie1346

OFL is right, I do weekly water changes by siphoning 30-40 percent a week. You should read up on cycling a fish tank. :)
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:26 PM   #5 
Laurenie

Ok, you've definitely been doing it the hard way lol. I'll try to explain this so it makes sense. The easiest (and best for your fish) way for you to maintain your tank is to get a "cycle" going in it. This usually takes about a month.

Basically fish and any uneaten food are going to cause ammonia to build up in your tank. After a certain level the ammonia is toxic to fish--this is why we do water changes. The good news is that beneficial bacteria will eventually start to grow in your tank. The bacteria converts the ammonia into into nitrites and nitrates which aren't great, but are much less toxic to fish. Once enough beneficial bacteria is in place, your tank is pretty much cycled and all you need to do is siphon out any gunk or debris caught in the substrate and do about a 25% water change.

There are several different ways of cycling a tank, most people prefer the fishless method. To be honest, when I first got bettas I wasn't aware of what cycling a tank meant and I just stuck a filter on the back of the tank after my betta had been living in there a couple of days. After talking to various people about the cycling process I decided not to remove my fish and just let the tank cycle with him in it with lots of 50% water changes until the ammonia level stabilized to zero. I now do the weekly 25% water changes like I mentioned before.

So yeah, I think you should do some reading on cycling a tank and then decide which way you want to do it.
Laurenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #6 
Phoxly

Anything 10g+ it is always easier to cycle it than to try to clean it the ol' 2.5 gallon way.
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote