Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #21 
BettaLover101

The pictures are of the pair. I will be breeding Luka and Trix to eachother. If people are really interested in something new and different and that have regular VT then I might breed Trix to my red VT Houdini later on.
BettaLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #22 
bettalover2033

ow does hudini look? is that him in your avatar?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #23 
BettaLover101

ya, one pic of him is my avatar and another is in him album on my user page. The only problem is i cant get him to flare so i dont know how good he would be at getting the female's attention. He would be a good dad though since he is really gentle.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #24 
bettalover2033

Well a betta flaring isnt all that bad. but once the female feels the males hormones she gets all ready!:)

So him not flaring is kind of an advantage. also once he sees her in the tank he will most likely change his personality and chase her or flare. but i think he is a "Im not even going to waste my time" kind of betta.

But thats how my betta is when i was trying to spawn without no knowledge
Old 09-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #25 
BettaLover101

Alrighty. Hopefully he perks up if I ever try to breed him.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #26 
Phoxly

Have you done alot of research? Like what tail types to expect, etc?
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #27 
BettaLover101

I couldn't actually find a whole lot on what tail types to expect from this pair. I found information on other tail types but none on a Combtail x Crown Tail cross. I figure that there is a very small possibility on getting any crown tails, a reasonable amount of combtails and maybe a few veil tails. Is that correct? With all the other information I need to know like Tank Set-Up, Breeding Procedure, and Care of Fry for later on. I have all the live foods, frozen foods, and freeze-dried foods that I need and am conditioning them for 2 weeks.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #28 
Phoxly

I think you should find a better female, I think she will throw quite a few Veiltails, or Combtails but they won't be as defined as a true combtail.

I'd say 60% veiltails, 20% crowntails, 20% combtails.

Crowntails have 50% of their fins spiked, while combtails have less than 30%, preferably just the 20-10% tip. (This only applies with males) Realistically there are only two types of female bettas... veil, and crown. Unless their caudial fin is 180 degrees or more than 120 degrees, yours looks about 80-90.

With this pair I think a crowntail female would be best since your crowntail does have good finnage to spike ratio, but it doesnt compliment the female right. I think she's a good fish, but not breeder quality? I'd have to see more pics of her lol.

Last edited by Phoxly; 09-02-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #29 
Adastra

That's not right at all, unfortunately. The veiltail trait is dominant and crowntail is partial dominant. 100% of the fry will be combtails, they will look like veils with a small amount of webbing reduction. 100% of the babies in both crossings will be multicolors. If you've been to a pet store lately, you probably noticed that most of the fish there are blue-red multicolors. If you want to breed something "different" what about trying to make masked steel blue crowns, or maybe platinum extended red males? You would probably have to purchase some more high quality fish to introduce these traits, but if what you're going for is something different, then why not actually go for it?

I don't think you should start breeding your fish until you have a greater understanding of how genetics play out--I highly suggest reading some of the articles here:

http://www.bettas-jimsonnier.com/genetics.htm
http://bettysplendens.com/articles/home.imp

Last edited by Adastra; 09-02-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #30 
bettalover2033

i agree! but, i am thinking of breeding a VT female with my new dragon male CT, i know it isnt right but i want to try it out. After all How do you think we got all the different combinations?

I like the idea of having a lot of combtails!! also i just want some really unique fry.

I know many of you will not approve it.

Tags
betta, breeding, future, pair