Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #31 
Adastra

Well, bettalover, when people set out to make those new tails they probably had a goal in doing it. The makers of the deltas set out with the idea that they wanted more volume in the tail and selected only fish with the highest tail volume and best branching, crowntail breeders set out with the idea that they wanted the greatest amount of web reduction possible and chose only fish with some web reduction. I think it's important to experiment, but you should still have a goal in your mind before you start, otherwise you're just running with scissors and hoping for scherenschnitt.

You should at least use a similar female with some metallic--if you're going to be housing a lot of fry soon anyway, what difference does getting one more female make?

Last edited by Adastra; 09-02-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #32 
Phoxly

Sorry for the misinformation D: excellent links btw Adastra, I'd like to educate myself more on the breeding process and genetics. I love horse genetics as my mom breeds horses of different colors all the time professionally. :)
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #33 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
Well, bettalover, when people set out to make those new tails they probably had a goal in doing it. The makers of the deltas set out with the idea that they wanted more volume in the tail and selected only fish with the highest tail volume and best branching, crowntail breeders set out with the idea that they wanted the greatest amount of web reduction possible and chose only fish with some web reduction. I think it's important to experiment, but you should still have a goal in your mind before you start, otherwise you're just running with scissors and hoping for scherenschnitt.

You should at least use a similar female with some metallic--if you're going to be housing a lot of fry soon anyway, what difference does getting one more female make?

Thank you Adastra so much!! I will take that into consideration, but when people first discovered bettas they didnt know what the heck thy were and they thought they should study these fish and their natural behavior. When they got enough information they decided to breed them and they didnt know how the fry will come out to look nor did they have any standards (at that point). so My goal is to breed a VT with a CT and see what their offspring would be like, then when i see their offspring i will have a goal, and that will be to make a line of VT and CT and perfect it on the way down.

Does this sound Really stupid and ignorant?

Im sorry if i upset people with my actions but i still dont want to change my mind and i still want to try it out!

Adastra was this your goal; to talk me out of it?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #34 
Oldfishlady

VT and CT will get you mostly combtails and a very nice looking fish IMO that once had a class in the IBC (not sure now)-once you breed two unknown fish you get to see what is hidden in their genetic make up and this IMO is part of the fun in breeding this species, with that said-you also need a plan for the fry-either giving them away or culling.....if you can't bring yourself to cull (kill) fry or fish you don't want to breed more than once...its a lot of work but it can be fun too and unless you plan to show or want to continue other breeders line...nothing wrong with starting off with cheap pet shop fish IMO...just know that you may have trouble getting rid of some and it involves culling a lot, especially if you want to create something unique that you call your very own....I say go for it.......

Even when the Betta doesn't look perfect (and we don't have a perfect Betta)-you never know what is hidden in them because breeders usually sell off the ones that don't make the cut and only keep the best for themselves to breed and so you may get lucky and get a Betta with great lines and not even know it until you see what they produce.......

Don't let people tell you that you can't or shouldn't...because they don't understand the drive behind a person that want to learn by doing it themselves....

Keep good record of the fish you breed, the offspring that you breed and a list of what traits found in the mystery fish.
Set your goal (and this can change) and work toward this and read everything you can with an open mind with the understanding that often it is the opinion or experience of a person and not an exact science....anything can happen and you will never know unless you try.....just be responsible about it and don't neglect the fish and let them die because you are too lazy to take proper care of them...when you cull make it fast.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #35 
BettaLover101

Thanks for all the advice and opinions everybody. I am still going to breed them to see what the fry will be like and it think it'll be fun to see if I can make a new colour(if thats possible). I know that it isn't what everybody wants to hear but its my decision and I'm gonna stick with it. So... if you want to... wish me luck and if your interested in helping me to see what these fish hide in their genetics then I will be selling some of their babies(if they breed).

I don't mean to sound snobby or mad but I want to do this and nobody is going to change my choice.
I'll upload some new pictures of the two of them soon since the female is floating in the male's tank.
BettaLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #36 
Phoxly

There's been a 1000 before you who had the same train of thought. "i'm going to do it and see what happens, see what they create!" however you could learn a thing or two from them and create something they haven't.

I might be interested in a steel blue CT. If I don't find myself a mustard gas or a mask soon :D good luck!

Last edited by Phoxly; 09-02-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #37 
BettaLover101

Well so far everything is going well with the breeding. He is starting to build a small bubble nest. Hopefully once they start spawning he will build a bigger nest. I will keep you updated on them and if they have fry then I will be posting pictures.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #38 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLover101 View Post
Thanks for all the advice and opinions everybody. I am still going to breed them to see what the fry will be like and it think it'll be fun to see if I can make a new colour(if thats possible). I know that it isn't what everybody wants to hear but its my decision and I'm gonna stick with it. So... if you want to... wish me luck and if your interested in helping me to see what these fish hide in their genetics then I will be selling some of their babies(if they breed).

I don't mean to sound snobby or mad but I want to do this and nobody is going to change my choice.
I'll upload some new pictures of the two of them soon since the female is floating in the male's tank.
Good for you i feel the same way! Even though lots of you will not accept the fact, then its okay, but i want you all to know i am being very responsible and i am learning as i go. That doesnt mean i dont know how to breed it means i will learn other and more things that will help me even more and add on to my knowledge of breeding. So i know how to breed i have been doing months worth of research and still am learning. i will breed them though and i promise i will care for the fry the correct way!!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #39 
Phoxly

If/When I breed, I'll probably wait til I get a pair worth breeding so I can expect good results, instead of shooting in the dark, but either way I enjoy the idea of people breeding bettas and getting the hobby out there, be sure to take LOTS OF PICS FOR PHOXLY ;D
Old 09-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #40 
BettaLover101

I will be sure to take lots and lots of pictures for you. :)
If there is anything in particular that you want just let me know. I'm glad to take any.

Tags
betta, breeding, future, pair