Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2010, 10:21 PM   #1 
warfish

tank questions

hey i got a 1gal tank. and my room temp is about 68. how often should i change the water and should i get a heat source?
warfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:04 AM   #2 
naturegirl243

Do you have a filter? and deffinatly get a heater bettas water temp. should be 78-82
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:39 AM   #3 
warfish

no filter
Old 09-01-2010, 10:53 AM   #4 
Adastra

A 1 gallon tank needs to be changed and cleaned out every other day. You must change 100% of the water and wash out the tank with hot water in order to get the feces, uneaten food, and ammonia residue out of the gravel, decorations, and the tank itself. The new water should match the temperature of the old water and it must be treated with a dechlorinator product such as Seachem Prime before adding the fish. The fish should be slowly acclimated to the water each time.

Bettas are tropical cold blooded animals that thrive in temperatures of 78-83 degrees, and cannot survive in temperatures that low for long. I highly suggest getting your fish a heater and a larger container that can be heated as soon as possible. The temperature difference may not seem dramatic to warm-blooded mammals like us, but keep in mind that the entire metabolism of cold blooded animals is dependent upon temperature, without adequate heat your fish will have digestive and circulatory problems and will have a weakened immune system, leaving him very vulnerable to illness.

For now, I suggest you move him to the warmest, most stable place in your house. If you cannot afford to upgrade to a larger tank that can be heated, I suggest going to WalMart or Target and buying a plastic rubbermaid or sterilite storage bin. These bins are only about $3 for a 4 gallon container and can be heated safely. You will also not have to clean them as often. They make great temporary tanks, hospital tanks, and quarantine tanks.

I highly recommend this heater: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11368 the heater you buy should be low wattage and it should have an adjustable temperature dial. Non-adjustable heaters don't have a thermostat and either won't heat the water enough or will overheat the water. Don't make the mistake of getting a cheap non-adjustable heater.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #5 
warfish

how bug if a tank should i get?
Old 09-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #6 
Adastra

The tank should be a minimum of two gallons because most heaters are designed to be used in containers that are at least two gallons in size. If you get a larger tank with a filter, the tank can undergo a process called the nitrogen cycle, which will cut down on a lot of maintenance. Instead of doing frequent 100% changes and cleanings, you only need to do one partial change a week. Much easier. Larger tanks are easier to clean and maintain than smaller tanks, and will remain much more stable.

I keep my fish in the Marineland Eclipse brand tank kits, the 3 gallon kit and 5 gallon kit take up very little space for their volume, they are made of acrylic so they are light and durable, and they come with a filter and a good fluorescent light that won't overheat the tank. Before you choose a tank you should read these articles:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49160

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
Old 09-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #7 
warfish

well im in college and dont have the money 2 spend on that. ive been doing 50% changes once aq day. and ive warmed my room up. im gonna try that and c wat happens
Old 09-02-2010, 04:08 AM   #8 
vanish3d

Hi i currently have 1 betta fish (male) and 3 corycats. im wondering if i can add another 4neon's to my 25litre tank or am i already over stocking it with what i currently have in my tank. thank you any help would be great. i do have a heater filter & silk plants ty. or would you suggest i can add any other type of fish? ta
vanish3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #9 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish3d View Post
Hi i currently have 1 betta fish (male) and 3 corycats. im wondering if i can add another 4neon's to my 25litre tank or am i already over stocking it with what i currently have in my tank. thank you any help would be great. i do have a heater filter & silk plants ty. or would you suggest i can add any other type of fish? ta
Tour tank is overstocked as it is. I would NOT add anymore fish.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #10 
Adastra

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfish View Post
well im in college and dont have the money 2 spend on that. ive been doing 50% changes once aq day. and ive warmed my room up. im gonna try that and c wat happens
If you don't have enough money for a new tank, you can go to walmart or target or a similar store and buy a rubbermaid or sterilite storage bin. These bins are ideal for keeping fish in because they are very light and durable and because they're extremely cheap! You can get a 4 gallon clear plastic bin for only $3. They can be safely heated, and though they aren't the most stylish tank, they're easily the most economical choice for keeping a healthy, happy betta. You can always keep him in there until you manage to save enough for a fancier kit. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish3d View Post
Your tank is overstocked, definitely do not add more fish. Try entering your tank data and stocking into this calculator: http://aqadvisor.com/ and you'll see what I mean. Cories are a schooling species and should only be kept in groups of 6 or more. I would put them in another tank or rehome them to someone who can keep them in proper numbers. Generally when you have a question about your own tank, you should make your own thread about it rather than asking your question in a thread that's about someone else's tank.

Last edited by Adastra; 09-02-2010 at 01:07 PM.