Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #1 
azbetta

Smile Vacation feeding

I am a teacher and have just acquired a class room betta named Charlie! He was a gift from a student and he is doing quite well in his little tank. So, since school is out on the weekends, there will be a chance that he misses a meal. Also, we have several holidays that make a 3 day weekend, etc. So, since I am not wanting to stress him out too much by sending him home with a student, what are some options for weekend/vacation feeding? I do come into town atleast one weekend day so I can stop by and feed him but would like some ideas.

Should I use one of the popular weekend tank feeders? Will he over eat?

I have him in a 2 gallon tank with just a bubbler. Will the water get funky with a weekend feeder?

thanks for all your replies.
azbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #2 
Lion Mom

Hi! Welcome to the Wonderful World of Bettas! :)

IMO, Charlie will be fine NOT being fed over the week-end and even not being fed during the three day week-ends.

Most people fast their bettas at least one day a week (like I do), but some fast them more.

Whatever you do, stay AWAY from the week-end feeders!!! They make an AWFUL mess of your tank and could create a toxic ammonia spike - which would probably be the end of Charlie!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #3 
prettylittlefishy

When you say "little" tank, how big is it? A minimum should be 2.5, but because your a teacher and may not have much time a 5g+ would be better!!
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:59 PM   #4 
Lion Mom

prettylittlefishy, the poster told us in her original post the tank is 2 gals. :)
Old 08-29-2010, 07:02 PM   #5 
prettylittlefishy

Oops! Haha sorry I see that now.
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #6 
Lion Mom

:)
Old 08-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #7 
BettaBoy84

Charlie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
Hi! Welcome to the Wonderful World of Bettas! :)

IMO, Charlie will be fine NOT being fed over the week-end and even not being fed during the three day week-ends.

Most people fast their bettas at least one day a week (like I do), but some fast them more.

Whatever you do, stay AWAY from the week-end feeders!!! They make an AWFUL mess of your tank and could create a toxic ammonia spike - which would probably be the end of Charlie!!!
I agree, I go away a few days a week, and because i feed my bettas very well (high nutrient foods) through the 5 days a week i am home...(15 bettas, 3 different tanks)...I am gone for a full 2 days, and fast them, letting their digestive systems get a break as well as giving them a chance to clear their systems...

As long as you provide weekly water changes (if no filter possibly more) And feed Charlie a a good diet (blood worms, betta pellets, live micro worms and other nutritious food) He should be fine for two days with no food.

hop Charlie brings a lot of smiles to the class...

BETTA BOY
BettaBoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #8 
azbetta

Thanks for all the help. Charlie has brought many smiles to my students....these are high school juniors and they love Charlie...lol!

I did a water change on Thursday and opted NOT to put in a weekend feeder...checked on him today when we were in town...popped a few pellets in the tank and he was fine. He did not get fed Saturday and will not get fed until Tuesday morning. He gets betta pellets and wow have they made his color pop! He is more active too. I may look into a live food once a week....give him a variety.

Thanks for all the advice...this is a great site! :)
azbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #9 
Lion Mom

It's GREAT to hear that Charlie is doing so well and I am SO glad you didn't get one of those week-end feeder things.

GOOD JOB, Teach!!! :)
Old 09-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #10 
nacho

This is what I got for my fish. It works perfectly or me, and I can feed the little guy for up to a week with it. It dispenses only what you put in each section, so there is no danger of overfeeding. I highly recommend it for those 3-day to weeklong vacations that come with school schedules.

I recommend this feeder because I've had a bad experience with my fish after leaving him for 3 days (2 nights). He was very dull when I came home, and he would not respond to me. He didn't touch his food for a few minutes, which is scary because he gobbles up food as soon as it's in the water.

For this, I don't recommend starving the fish for more than 2 days. I know many people here say otherwise, but I don't want others to negatively affect their fish's lives. Better to be safe!

Last edited by nacho; 09-05-2010 at 08:57 PM.
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote