Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2010, 10:33 AM   #1 
BlueHaven

Homemade homes for betta fish

Premade aquariums have their own pros, creativeness and fame so
I thought it would be cool to see photos of people's homemade homes for their bettas. If anyone wants to show theirs off, how they made them and fixed them up, post them here. :)
Example: If you use plastic bins or storage drawers, glass jars or vases, those plant pots, barrels for outdoor (natural) homes, etc.

You can also post what you think would help others in choosing the right equipment to make them, including sizes, accessories, creative ideas in decorating them, brand and quality, etc.

If this already has been made, please let me know? I haven't seen it. :]

Last edited by BlueHaven; 09-01-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Better name for the thread
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #2 
BlueHaven

-crickets- ~o.o~

Here is something I found for making a homemade filter. It's really cool if you don't mind it's unprettyness. Haha
But you can decorate around the filter with plants or java moss, which could attach itself around the outside of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yniR6ynaE0

I am setting up a homemade aquarium, it might be done this weekend so I will try to post a picture of it soon. :)
Old 09-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #3 
Kitty Whiskers

That "Cool Whip" filter video was great. It would be good as an emergency back up filter if anything happens to the one in the tank till you get a new filter. Glad you found that idea video, it can sure come in handy.
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #4 
Jayy

That was really cool idea!! I wonder how he came up with it?
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #5 
BlueHaven

Cool, yea!
^_^

I was too excited about setting up the aquarium, so I have tested the filter and it works. Haha
But I'll be able to tell better later when I add gravel (river rocks) this weekend. I used a water bottle instead of the pipe, that works fine too, I just used the end with the cap inside the coolwhip container and cut out the bottom of it for the air pump tube thingy to go through. I'm not too sure about having higher temperatures with the water bottle, but if it's at lower temperatures, it should be just fine. I don't think the pipes should cost much, so which ever fits your fishies needs would work.
X3
Old 09-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #6 
BlueHaven

Oh, one thing about the water bottles. The paper you take off of them, they have a sticky part on it. You can try cleaning it off but it's kinda hard to so I just cut it out and stuffed a sponge to keep anyone from getting inside and I cut it smaller so that the sponge will stay stuck in it.
:)
Old 09-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #7 
naturegirl243

One of my boys(Diego) lives in a glass jar I got from Wal-mart for 9 bucks it's 2 1/2 gallons.I put a filter in but no heater he is in the warmest room of the house and his tank pretty much stays at 79.The pic is sideways but you get the idea I keep the lid partally covering it so less fuzz and pet hair gets in there since alot was getting in there,Don't worry I know not to put it on all the way there is still a big air gap it only covers the top half.
Attached Images

naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #8 
JKfish

A good way to get off the annoying stickies from labels is to take a paper towel, get a bit of veggie oil on it, and scrub a bit. They typically come off easily, and a teeny tiny Bit of soap and a lot of water will the oil off too
^.^

Last edited by JKfish; 09-03-2010 at 09:08 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #9 
BlueHaven

That's a really cute home!!
Cool, I'll exchange it for a new water bottle so it doesn't have a hole in it. It would probably work better that way too and look better. Thanks! :D
I didn't know veggie oil could do that, I had tried using warm water.

Last edited by BlueHaven; 09-03-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #10 
JKfish

I didn't either until recently when my mom told me about that trick :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote