Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #21 
BlueHaven

Cute! :D

Zelilaa - It should be good for a 5 gallon too, just creates tons of bubbles. I'm using it in a 5 (or 6) gallon tank.
I just noticed though that if you are going to use the water bottle, you should put to other holes beside the hole where you put the end of the water bottle. That way it can come out better and will create a better suction. When I was using the water bottle, the end of it was small so the bubbles would come out of the sides and through the sponge because their wasn't enough space.
But it works great now, I will post a pic soon!
I couldn't fix that on the cool whip container I had because I made too big of a hole, so I used a glad clear container for food with a tight lid and put the three holes next to each other and instead of the sponge, I used a regular filter cartridge.
To put the air tube in, just make sure the end where the air comes out is inside the container. The air that goes through the water bottle (or pipe that the guy used) creates a kind of current and pulls water through the filter cartridge/sponge. It is basically like a sponge filter so it's good with sand too!
:)

If you want a higher current, it probably should be an air pump that's bigger than your tank size. Use a 10 gallon for a 5 gallon.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #22 
BlueHaven

Here are the pics:
http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...pictureid=8037
It's foggy cause it's cycling. :)

http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...pictureid=8036
The foam at the top was because I had the end of the water bottle out of the water. (lol...jk, I just think it's a funny smiley....)
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #23 
Jayy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TharBePirates View Post
Before....

After....

The cookies were from costco (for about $8). The container is about 2 gal, and I drilled a hole in the lid for air and feeding.

Betta's is my roommate's new buddy. His name is Jeffery, and I can't get a better pic because he hates the camera. He likes his space though, and he has several hiding spots.
Thanks a VERY nice setup!!! I also thought it was funny cause my name is JEFFREY
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #24 
fishmadcraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TharBePirates View Post
Before....

After....

The cookies were from costco (for about $8). The container is about 2 gal, and I drilled a hole in the lid for air and feeding.

Betta's is my roommate's new buddy. His name is Jeffery, and I can't get a better pic because he hates the camera. He likes his space though, and he has several hiding spots.
Doesnt this get effected by the sun/coldness being on a window sill? Also, is that melafix on the right?
fishmadcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #25 
TharBePirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmadcraig View Post
Doesnt this get effected by the sun/coldness being on a window sill? Also, is that melafix on the right?
He doesn't seem to get affected. We live on the third floor of a fifth floor apartment building, overlooking a large alleyway, so all of our sunlight is indirect. As for the chill, I've been watching the temp and it doesn't fluctuate too much.

That is melafix. I purchased him on a Sunday at Petco, and their new shipment of bettas comes in on Monday morning (and I went back on Monday to get something and guess what? All of the Sunday fish were gone). So he was a little rough when we got him (but nothing looked fungal) and, we were concerned since he had some slight fin damage so he's been getting two drops of the melafix a day.

His setup changed today. Again lol. I had to buy live plants for a tank I am cycling and had some extras. So he now has some java moss, anarachis and duckweed, and I removed his little plastic plant. Also I gave him my hydori heater as the tank's light keeps the tank plenty warm. He's even happier now, he adores his plants and enjoys hiding in everything.

TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #26 
metalbetta

That settles it. The cheesy poofs jar will be a fish tank. XD
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #27 
vilmarisv

Be careful your heater doesn't touch the tank's plastic. Those heaters get pretty hot.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #28 
TharBePirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
Be careful your heater doesn't touch the tank's plastic. Those heaters get pretty hot.
Thanks for the heads up. I've been watching the heater and tank all day because of that. The plastic is a little warm, but so far it's been on all day with no side effects. Tomorrow morning I'll be unplugging it and taking it out to see if everything's alright.

Jeffery likes it though, it's one of his lounging spots.

Last edited by TharBePirates; 09-08-2010 at 09:38 PM.
TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #29 
BettaLover143

Thumbs up Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharbepirates View Post
before....

after....

the cookies were from costco (for about $8). The container is about 2 gal, and i drilled a hole in the lid for air and feeding.

Betta's is my roommate's new buddy. His name is jeffery, and i can't get a better pic because he hates the camera. He likes his space though, and he has several hiding spots.
very....very...very...crafty....i like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BettaLover143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:03 AM   #30 
UrsMyrick

This is totally unrelated but I LOVE your tattoo BettaLover143!

And Tharbepirates I really like the planted look- I know my babies love live plants to frolic in!
UrsMyrick is offline   Reply With Quote