Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #1 
Ferret8

Arrow HELP!! Fish emergency!

My betta had recently been acting weird, he lays on the leaves for the whole time, alomst doesn't swim at all. He does eat, but very little and slow, not like he used to "beg" for it. He lives in a 1.25gallon tank with a live plant and 3 snails. I change the water every other day since I don't turn the filter on because it's pretty powerful and i don't want to stress the fish. I just saw him swimming now, but not for very long. Can you guys help with that? Im pretty new to fish keeping and im not sure what to do, and i dont wanna lose him. thanks
Ferret8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #2 
Adastra

Could you answer a few more of these questions? http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

You touched on a few already, but there's not enough details for me to come up with a diagnosis.. your water changing schedule seems fine, do you change all the water and clean the tank every other day?
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #3 
Ferret8

sorry I'm new to the forum. well:

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.25GAL
What temperature is your tank?ABOUT 78DEGREES
Does your tank have a filter?NO(BUT I CAN TURN IT ON IF NECESSERY)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?NO
Is your tank heated?NO(I'LL BUY ONE IN WINTER)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 3 SNAILS(I THINK MYSTERY&APPLE)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?TETRA-BETTAMIN TROPICAL MEDLEY
How often do you feed your betta fish? TWICE A DAY(APRX. 25-30 FLAKES)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? EVERY OTHER DAY
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 70%-80%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? AQUA PLUS TAP WATER CONDITIONER

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:N/A
Nitrite:N/A
Nitrate:N/A
pH:N/A
Hardness:N/A
Alkalinity:N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? IT DIDN'T CHANGE
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?HE HIDES IN THE LEAVES AND LAYS ON THEM, DOESN'T SWIM SO OFTEN, EATS ONLY FEW FLAKES
When did you start noticing the symptoms?YESTERDAY
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I JUST MADE A 80% WATER CHANGE( I THINK IT HELPED A LITTLE)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? NO
How old is your fish (approximately)? NOT SURE, I HAVE HIM ONLY FOR 3 WEEKS, HE'S ABOUT 2 1/2 IN WITH THE TAIL

THANKS!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #4 
Bettas are Betta

Im sorry but did you say 25-30 flakes 2 times a day!!!!!!!!!!?????
bettas stomaches are only the size of their eyball!! you might want to try once a day with only 3-4 flakes!

why are you putting so many flakes in?! its good that hes only eating a few or hell be super obese!

Sorry im just suprised how many flakes you give him.

Last edited by Bettas are Betta; 09-02-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Bettas are Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #5 
Adastra

I think you really need to start changing 100% of the water rather than 70-80%. when you leave water behind, you're leaving behind small amounts of ammonia that will build up over time. Instead, every other day, you should take the betta out, wash out the tank and everything in it, including decor and gravel, with hot water, and change 100% of the water. This will remove all the ammonia residue, uneaten food, and feces that may be slowly poisoning your fish. You should slowly acclimate the fish to the new water over about 15-20 minutes.

The heater could also be the issue. The temperature in the tank likely fluctuates throughout the day and could be stressing him out. I highly recommend putting him in a larger container that can be safely heated. If you can't afford a whole new tank kit, plastic storage bins make great temporary tanks and they're only about $3 for a 4 gallon rubbermaid or sterilite container. You can't beat that.

Also, you should probably switch from the flakes to a higher quality betta pellet. Flakes can cause constipation and are usually not very high in protein, they also tend to make a mess in the tank. I recommend feeding 2 pellets twice a day or three pellets once a day. Good brands to buy include OmegaOne Betta Buffet Pellets, Atison's Betta Pellets, Ken's Betta Crumbles, and New Life Spectrum. You should always soak any dry food that you feed to your betta in water prior to feeding since dry food expands in the betta's stomach as it takes on moisture, causing bloating and discomfort.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #6 
Ferret8

i'm actually planning on changing the tank, but in about 2 months, not before that. And i think i will change the food also, i didn't think it was good on the first place. I'm afraid to stress the fish too much with the 100% water changes, but ok ill try. The fish is doing better so far, he eats and swims more, and looks better over all. Thanks for everything!!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #7 
fishman12

you might also try to mix in some bottled water. you don't need to purify it, it's already purified.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:07 AM   #8 
Bloodeath

With small tanks like this, i perform a 100% water change roughly once a week, including rinsing everything down in hot water, from the ornaments, live lilly bulbs, and even all of the gravel.

So your fish is just lethargic? No white mold like substance accumulating on him? is he Gasping for air (Well does it look like he is)? Do you flare him regularily? Have you changed your routine lately with feeding/water changes, or anything of the like? is the tank covered? If not, get on that, because if an insect like a fly or gnat flew into your tank and your betta ate it, it of course increases the chance for disease (since its "Live" Food)

How long has he been acting normal in the conditions hes in currently?
how long has he been acting non normal?
Bloodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #9 
Ferret8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodeath View Post
With small tanks like this, i perform a 100% water change roughly once a week, including rinsing everything down in hot water, from the ornaments, live lilly bulbs, and even all of the gravel.

So your fish is just lethargic? No white mold like substance accumulating on him? is he Gasping for air (Well does it look like he is)? Do you flare him regularily? Have you changed your routine lately with feeding/water changes, or anything of the like? is the tank covered? If not, get on that, because if an insect like a fly or gnat flew into your tank and your betta ate it, it of course increases the chance for disease (since its "Live" Food)

How long has he been acting normal in the conditions hes in currently?
how long has he been acting non normal?

Right now he looks "normal" and acts like he used to. About the white mold, i think he doesn't have it. A small part of his upper fin is naturally white, although i saw some white-pinkish color under his gills, on the throat, but i think that's a natural color too. I just made 100% water change and washed everything with hot water, so i think he will be ok now. Maybe the water wasn't so good. Now he seems happy and is swimming around the tank I'm definitely getting him a larger tank soon. Thanks!