Betta Fish Forum banner

is aging water neccesary?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Ajones108 
#1 ·
Its about time to perform a full water change on my betta's tank I noticed he had some tail fin damage from a plant which i removed. I have replaced a bit of water so far but i haven't performed a full one yet because i don't have enough containers to hold enough water to completely fill the tank. I usually pour some water in containers put a few drops of water conditioner in it and let it sit out over night before putting it in. Is all of that necessary? Can just fill the tank with new water and then add the conditioner and then let him back into the tank?

#3 ·
Letting water sit is not necesasry. Fill the tank, add conditioner, give it a second to disperse ( I do at least ) then acclimate fish to the new water, floating him with 1/2 old tank water, 1/2 new water, 15 min later dump out most of the water add new water, and then once the temp of the tank is the same as the temp in the cup he's good to go.

#5 ·
Just to make sure I have all the steps correct:

1. Take him out the tank with half the water from the tank (I'm going to use his old petsmart cup to temporarily hold him)
2. Empty the tank, refill it and add the declorinator.
3. Let the water sit for about 15 minutes.
4. Add a bit of the new tank water into the cup with the fish in it to help acclimate him.
5. 15 minutes later dump out the water from the cup and add more of the new water from the tank

Did I get that right?

#6 ·
1. Take him out the tank with half the water from the tank (I'm going to use his old petsmart cup to temporarily hold him)
2. Empty the tank, refill it and add the declorinator.
* 3. Let the water sit for about 1 minute then start floating fish's cup with 1/2 old water 1/2 new water
4. 15 min later dump out 75% of the water and add new water.
5. 15 minutes later the temp should be the same in both the cup and the tank and it is now safe to pour fish into the water.

You got it mostly right. :) Everyone does it a different amount of time but I find this to be the most effective. Some people just float 15 min to get the temperature right and dump fish in but ONLY if the water source of the new water is the same of the old water. But I still recommend acclimating every time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.