Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #1 
WashingtonCowgirl

Instead of Cycling

Anyone tried this?
Biozyme

I used it instead of cycling, and I was a little worried at first. Panini's water got really murky, but she didn't stop eating and her activity definitly didn't slow down. Its day 3 or 4 of me having her and her water is almost crystal clear and she is still doing great. Its something to think about, and seems like a great alternitive to the fish-in cycle.
WashingtonCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Wow...I thought they took that off the market...or maybe I am thinking of something else

Clear water does not mean safe water....you can't see ammonia or nitrite spikes....

What are your numbers for: Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH?

What size is your tank and what kind of filter are you using
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #3 
WashingtonCowgirl

Tank/filter

I haven't got any numbers, I have been meaning to take a sample to petco but always forget. I think we have a test kit around here somewhere.... I will have to look around for it. Why (if it is the same product) would they take it off the market?
Old 09-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #4 
Phoxly

This kinda thing scares me lol you definitely need to read your numbers cause it may be fine, and all the sudden you have a nitrite spike and a lethargic fish overnight D:
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #5 
WashingtonCowgirl

Just found it. The only things it tests for are ph, Free chlorine and chlorine residual, acid demand and total alkalinity. (its a pool test kit lol)
I tested the pH and it was 7.6. Should I test for the others or do they not matter?
Old 09-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #6 
WashingtonCowgirl

And I was going to cycle the tank first... but I came home with a fishy as well as the gravel :P
Old 09-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

If it is the one I am thinking about the person that invented or discovered it...sold it and the product was no longer being made...if it is the one I am thinking about-it should be refrigerated
That is a cute tank, is that the one you have?
Would love to see a pic of it and your Betta

Even with added cycling products (99% snake oil IMO) with fish-in cycle-it is important to monitor the water and if you can't..... water changes still need to be made for the sake of the fish.
In 5g filtered tank I would do at least 2-3 50% water changes a week during the cycle...even if that is the real deal it can take 2-3 weeks to cycle

I love your avatar...is that your horse.....its beautiful...love palomino horses.....
Old 09-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashingtonCowgirl View Post
Just found it. The only things it tests for are ph, Free chlorine and chlorine residual, acid demand and total alkalinity. (its a pool test kit lol)
I tested the pH and it was 7.6. Should I test for the others or do they not matter?
You need to test for: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH

Ammonia and nitrite are toxic to fish and you want this number to be 0.25ppm or less....0ppm is ideal

Nitrate- you want this 5-10ppm...at least 30ppm and less, nitrate is what will tell you when the cycle is near complete along with 0ppm on the first two

pH-you don't want to mess with this, our fish usually will adjust without issue to our source water pH, the pH swing can be deadly, but, it is important to know the pH as this can change what some of the other water prams do in your tank.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #9 
WashingtonCowgirl

OK will do the water changes. Yes that is the tank I have... not the background though :) I have naturaly colored gravel and 2 tera cotta pots in there. The filter was a little strong so I use aquarium sponge to baffle it and it didn't come with a heater, but she is still doing well and I plan on getting a heater as soon as I can. Her name is Panini.

Panini4 by WashingtonCowgirl, on Flickr

Panini3 by WashingtonCowgirl, on Flickr
As for the horse, he was mine... we just sold him. I am getting out of horses until after I get done with college, because I have to pay for all my animals. Horses are just too expensive!
Old 09-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #10 
WashingtonCowgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
You need to test for: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH

Ammonia and nitrite are toxic to fish and you want this number to be 0.25ppm or less....0ppm is ideal

Nitrate- you want this 5-10ppm...at least 30ppm and less, nitrate is what will tell you when the cycle is near complete along with 0ppm on the first two

pH-you don't want to mess with this, our fish usually will adjust without issue to our source water pH, the pH swing can be deadly, but, it is important to know the pH as this can change what some of the other water prams do in your tank.
I wil try and get a sample to Petco today, not sure if I have the gas to make it there... but I might.